Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Keep in gelcoat

Post Thanks / Like

Question Keep in gelcoat

Just wondering...
    if the gelcoat is so good, is it possible to just repair the mold parting flashings and keep that finish for awhile. Or, after grinding them down; is it just better to just prepare for paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I kept mine in gelcoat for ~3 years! I loved the rawness of it.

Of course once you go to paint, a star is born!

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 09-05-2018 at 08:15 PM.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    Just wondering...
    if the gelcoat is so good, is it possible to just repair the mold parting flashings and keep that finish for awhile. Or, after grinding them down; is it just better to just prepare for paint?
    An easy way to knock down the parting lines is to put blue painters tape on either side of the seams, then use emery boards & go to town.
    The remaining parting lines end up being roughly the same thickness as the tape so it is minimal once done.
    Just remember to take your wife out to dinner after she discovers that she has no emery boards.
    From 20 feet they look pretty good, especially if your eyes are 55 years of age like mine.

https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk

NOTE: T.S. Gordon Went East Of Us So No Water Came In My Shop!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-06-2018 at 06:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just knocked the parting seams down, and spray canned them to seal. Drove it like that for over 5 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Thanks TexasAviator thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I just knocked the parting seams down, and spray canned them to seal. Drove it like that for over 5 years.

Great Temporary Tip AC Bill!

Wonder what RED will match the best?

Hummmmmm?
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-06-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here ya go,
    Krylon Fusion red gloss is the one I have saved.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still in gel coat and the car attracts a lot of attention at cars and coffee and the like. Knocking down the parting lines and hitting it with the spray paint craig mentioned will really give you a good 20 foot look. My car is going to Kliener in the spring so I can call this project complete!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Please do not put oil based spray bomb paint on the body, especially a ground body, unless you are certain that you can get it ALL off before taking it for the real body and paint work.

Jeff

10. Likes doddmoore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used an Alkyd, which is a synthetic. Painter had no issues with it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Please do not put oil based spray bomb paint on the body, especially a ground body, unless you are certain that you can get it ALL off before taking it for the real body and paint work.

Jeff
    Thank you for your tip about oil based spray paint. I THINK I'll just knock down the parting lines (emory board) until I save up enough $$ for paint. Looking forward to just DRIVING it.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Emery boards? C'mon GoDad...really? That would take days and who know how much $$$ dumped at the cosmetics counter at Walgreens to buy the darn things! I sheet of 40 grit on the DA and 45 minutes---done!

Jeff

joeldpartinglines.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, just leave it as is and drive it for a while. I left mine completely untouched and drove it for a summer. You will get just as much attention as a painted car. Rough seams don't make any difference on the driving fun.

Any kind of temporary paint is taking a risk of messing up your paint job. Also, DO NOT get Armorall or any other tire shine products near it until it is painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO, driving in gelcoat will give you an extended testing time to get the mechanical/electrical all sorted out prior to painting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    Just wondering...
    FFR sells a Red Gelcoat Kit (Part #80876) that includes: 1 fl oz of catalyst/hardner, 1 pint of red gelcoat, and 1 pint of red gelcoat paste. I have not tried working the seams with this kit, but it is an option.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by walt mckenna View Post
    FFR sells a Red Gelcoat Kit (Part #80876) that includes: 1 fl oz of catalyst/hardner, 1 pint of red gelcoat, and 1 pint of red gelcoat paste. I have not tried working the seams with this kit, but it is an option.
    that is great info that I hadn't heard until now. Sure gets rid of the concern about getting the wrong type of filler or paint in the joints.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.