BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Slot in door for power windows

Post Thanks / Like

Slot in door for power windows

OK, I have read many of the posts for installing the power windows and understand its a PITA, but following the directions for cutting the slot you measure in .500, then out .375 giving you a slot of .875. The felted rubber seal is .950 wide with .400 clipping onto the door leaving .55 covering the slot. With both seals on each side of the slot gives a .225 overlap.Sept 2018 007.JPG The glass is .200 thick, if you set it up leaving .100 between the seals for the glass to go between, shouldnt the door slot be .325 wider than what it calls for?Sept 2018 012.jpg. Am I missing something? I have run the window up and down in the "narrow" slot and the window seems to seal well against the hard top seal, so wider on the inside or out side or split the difference?

Also when you install the vertical U channel that really crowds the door handle cableSept 2018 010.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    We've wrestled with it over and over and finally worked up a separate solution that has nothing to do with the strips that come from FFR. I will post some pics when we get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    What was the adhesive that you used to glue the angle? I noticed its steel, why no aluminum to prevent rust? Have not cut the openings so I want to figure this out as i think its a cleaner solution. Where did you get the felts from? THX!!

5. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We used a standard panel bonding material, I will have to find out the specs. Used the steel for strength, aluminum as strong seemed too bulky. Actually the steel was more available. Part of the function was to improve the strength of the top of the door. The felts cam from Restoration Specialties in Pennsylvania. The complex process involves figuring out the width of the slot which will drive the width of the felts to ensure proper seating of the window. You can adjust the track to some degree with spacers on the window mechanism itself but it seems easier to move the assembly as little as is possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    We did learn that we needed to add a stop to the window tracks and that the seal between the front of the strips and the hardtop does leave a gap.

IMG_0292.jpgIMG_0293.jpgIMG_0312.jpgIMG_0313.jpgIMG_0311.jpg