FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GTM Build Difficult?

Post Thanks / Like

GTM Build Difficult?

Just curious as to how difficult a build of the GTM really is? I built a Roadster a couple years back and it went fairly smooth. Lately I have been thinking about the GTM, but am getting a little scared from what I've been reading on this forum. It seems like lots of issues in assembly (ie: aluminum panels don't fit, fiberglass body panels don't line up, missing kit pieces, etc.) I'm thinking that maybe a lot of the troubles come from upgrading/adding things that aren't part of the original kit? I'm not flaming anyone for doing that, but I'm looking for a minimalist car without a bunch of bells & whistles. I also have no experience with GM LS engines. I do however have some mechanical experience, having been a U.S. Army mechanic, spending 34 years at the Ford Motor Research & Engineering Center, restoring a bunch of old British motorcycles, and building the FFR Roadster.
    Regards, Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if your goal is to do a 'by the book' build, it is quite a bit more involved than the roadster. Mainly because you have a cabin with real doors and windows, not just a chassis/drivetrain/drop on body. But if you don't care about winning major shows or making the cabin air tight, you can really fly through the build.
    What are your goals for the car? Weekend toy that you can take to the track and clean up? Not that hard. But if you want to wow people at shows or plan to take your wife on any lengthy road trip, that's a whole other animal.
    Last edited by beeman; 09-07-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    As I have said many times and I think beeman is trying to get across, this build is what you make of it, and as long as you have a realistic expectation as to what you want from it, you should be fine. I don't knock people for wanting really exotic stuff and perfect bodywork either, just know that this is not what this kit was designed for, and to get it to show quality will take a lot of time, effort and $$. On the flip side a sub $50k by the book build is still quite a car.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Beeman gave you a pretty good answer there. We've had 30 GTM's thru our shop now...everything from full builds to finishing up partial builds, tearing down and re-building, just "fixing" a few items and everything in between. If you've already built a roadster, then there shouldn't be anything you'd consider much more difficult on the GTM as far as the mechanical stuff. It's the body stuff where lots of hours can come into play....and it all depends on what you want in the end. If you totally abandoned installing the windows in the doors and didn't care that much if your hood lines up perfectly with the body or if your doors are perfectly flush with the body, you could probably cut your build time in half. If you want people to mistake your car for a high-end production car when you're done and take it to car shows.....that's when the build hours will really rack up.

I have an entire website full of "stuff" for the GTM. Some of it is "upgrades" that are not really needed, but much of what I sell are parts designed to make the build easier or the final product significantly better than stock without really adding much time or work. Yes, many people do end up "upgrading" things that add significant complexity and time to the build...and that is fine too....that's sort of what these cars are about....doing what you want with them.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished my GTM this past week. I am not a car guy, you have far more mechanical experience than I have and I was able to do it. I did some of the body work myself but the lion share of the fitment was done by an auto body shop for me. There are significant fitment issues with the doors and door windows which will require some modification for them to fit and work. If you can do fiberglass work that's a huge plus. The manual has a lot of errors, and some misleading advice in the electrical section. I found that the advice on the forum was very helpful and searching the previous posts can help you avoid some pitfalls. A LOT of stuff doesn't fit correctly which requires some modification skills. Shane at VRaptor Speedworks has a lot great stuff for "work arounds" to fix a lot of the problem areas. That being said, its a huge feeling of accomplishment to put one of these together. From what you've said about yourself I don't think you would have any real problem getting it done. Its a head turner of a car and a lot of fun to drive.
    Last edited by Keith1; 09-07-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, Pretty much what I expected to hear. If I decide to build the GTM, I don't plan on taking it to the track, nor am I interested in the car show thing either. Like my Roadster, I just want something fun to drive and which may get a thumbs up or two at a stop light. I'm fairly confident I can do the mechanicals. It's the body stuff that sours me some. But, I understand you get what you make of it. Also, the help available on this forum is outstanding!

Thanks again, Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I am not planning on building a GTM, but have been watching fastthings GTM video series on YouTube. The first 20 or so episodes show all the amazing bodywork he did. The videos are very well done and informative and will give you a good sense of the Mount of work it takes to get the body to a high standard.
    Last edited by Jkviper; 09-09-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RdstrRod View Post
    Thanks guys, Pretty much what I expected to hear. If I decide to build the GTM, I don't plan on taking it to the track, nor am I interested in the car show thing either. Like my Roadster, I just want something fun to drive and which may get a thumbs up or two at a stop light. I'm fairly confident I can do the mechanicals. It's the body stuff that sours me some. But, I understand you get what you make of it. Also, the help available on this forum is outstanding!

Thanks again, Rod
    Rod, I think you're looking for exactly the same thing out of this car that I am.

Yes, there are a lot of parts to inventory, and I've had a dozen or more parts missing. But, FFR sends them out without any fuss, just make sure you inventory things right away.

I have no experience with LS engines either, but between this forum, a friend or two, and the FFR guys, I don't feel overwhelmed.

I haven't hit the body work yet, but I'm prepared for a nightmare, so worst case is I find what I expect.

Having built the roadster, you're ahead of where I was when I started my car. I'm sticking with the "bare-bones" with minor upgrades (think Ram Lift Pro to clear speedbumps). I'd say go for it!
    Ryan
    GTM #511
    Build log: gtm.perkinsons.com