Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 33 Upgrades?

Post Thanks / Like

33 Upgrades?

I have a 33 with a mild 302, 5 speed, FFR coilovers that came with the kit and 3.55 rear gears. I have purchased but not installed yet the 3 link rear suspension. I am considering switching to 3.70- 4.11 gears and adjustable air shocks. I am curious if anyone has made similar changes and what your opinions are. I realize the gear change will increase rpm and reduce gas mileage but really after the effects on driveabiity and handling of each of these changes. Thanks for your thoughts!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are running ~25" - 26" tires I'd suggest you stay with the 3.55:1. It is plenty low enough for sporty acceleration even with the small motor and will keep the revs reasonable at highway speeds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I will be going with 3:27 in my 33 from my earlier experiences with two Cobra builds. The 3:73's in my current Cobra are just too low. These cars are so light, you just don't need the low gearing, especially with the transmission gearing available.

With my 3:27's on one Cobra, I get amazing mileage, lower noise at cruise speeds and still have better acceleration than most other cars on the street. With a tall 5th gear, 1800 RPM at 60 mph. 2400 RPM with the 3:73's. With the lower gearing, RPM builds so quickly you don't have much time before shifting to 2nd. That said,, in my opinion, the lower gears really don't offer much benefit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree. Did a lot of research before I took the plunge on 33'.... Hope to get it this coming week.... SBC with TKO600 and 3.27 8.8 rear end. I also got the TKO600 with the .82 overdrive. Many were commenting the higher gear unit left them feeling like they had to keep up and down shifting at freeway speed. Only a cruiser here. And a question about rear brakes. Got used 8.8 in good cond, cleaned up nicely with new calipers and rotors and seems real smooth sitting on the floor. BUT the calipers are in stock REAR side position. Have heard rumor that I need to rotate to FRONT side of axle to accommodate park brake.. Is this so? I can do it but would prefer to just leave as is on rear side.. Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey NAZ,

What do you suggest for a 29" X 18" tire? I currently have a 3.27 out of a 2002 GT and was thinking that between it and the 700R4 out of an '89 Vette would give it plenty of get up and go.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tim, it's hard to find that tall a tire in 18". If you're thinking of a straight-line tire then Hoosier makes a DOT drag radial in P325/45R18 that's 30.2" tall x 10.6" tread width.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Tim, it's hard to find that tall a tire in 18". If you're thinking of a straight-line tire then Hoosier makes a DOT drag radial in P325/45R18 that's 30.2" tall x 10.6" tread width.

Oh I already have the tires.

Just wondering how happy I will be with the 3.27 rear end ratio with tires this wide.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017