Miller Customs

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Two questions. Brake reservoir and foot box front

  1. #1
    Senior Member BadAsp427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Two questions. Brake reservoir and foot box front

    Edit:sorry Iím on my iPad and thought I was in the roadster forum, not the build forum.

    I am installing the factory five chrome brake reservoir. In the build manual they actually show that they were installing it in a position that is below the brake master cylinders. I was always under the assumption that it had to be above the master cylinders. Is it OK to be mounting the reservoir below the master.
    BD612502-576A-441F-B760-29D4E7422159.jpg


    And my second question is in his photo what are these two holes supposed to be used for later in the build? The reason I ask is I was going to mount my reservoir in front of the smaller one on the left.


    532972F8-951D-4D92-9E90-2DD2D4BACCB0.jpeg
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 09-08-2018 at 06:29 PM.

    Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 ( #8 of 20 ) Purchased 8/18/18 Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here

  2. #2
    Papa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    1,245
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you mount the reservoir below the MC, then you will have a heck of a time getting the system bled. Air bubbles want to go to the highest point in the system. The large hole in the front of the foot box is for the wire harness to come through. Are you using the Wilwood pedal box or a donor pedal box? If using the Wilwood box, you have the wrong aluminum on the front of the foot box. Both of those holes and the other offset openings are covered with the proper aluminum in place.
    There are 10 types of people in this world;
    those who understand binary and those who don't.

    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754

  3. #3
    Senior Member BadAsp427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    If you mount the reservoir below the MC, then you will have a heck of a time getting the system bled. Air bubbles want to go to the highest point in the system. The large hole in the front of the foot box is for the wire harness to come through. Are you using the Wilwood pedal box or a donor pedal box? If using the Wilwood box, you have the wrong aluminum on the front of the foot box. Both of those holes and the other offset openings are covered with the proper aluminum in place.
    This is the only front panel that I had for the 20th anniversary, with the white powder coat. That’s why I used it. I think I have a couple cover plates designed for it possibly in the powder coated white. As far as the Reservoir goes, I kind of thought the same thing but then that’s the way factory five installed on their 20th anniversary vehicle. They actually mounted it 1 inch above the throttle cable hole because they weren’t using the throttle cable hole then they used it for the reservoir line which is approximately 6 inches below the master cylinders.

    I’m using the Wilwood box
    image.jpg
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 09-08-2018 at 07:00 PM.

    Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 ( #8 of 20 ) Purchased 8/18/18 Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here

  4. #4
    Papa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    1,245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    This is the only front panel that I had for the 20th anniversary, with the white powder coat. That’s why I used it. I think I have a couple cover plates designed for it possibly in the powder coated white. As far as the Reservoir goes, I kind of thought the same thing but then that’s the way factory five installed on their 20th anniversary vehicle. They actually mounted it 1 inch above the throttle cable hole because they weren’t using the throttle cable hole then they used it for the reservoir line which is approximately 6 inches below the master cylinders.

    I’m using the Wilwood box
    image.jpg
    You should have the Wilwood front panel in the box of packaged aluminum. You won't find patches/covers for all the extra holes. There is a cover for the large diameter hole, and the manual has you drill that, insert a grommet, and run the harness through it.
    There are 10 types of people in this world;
    those who understand binary and those who don't.

    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754

  5. #5
    Senior Member BadAsp427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    You should have the Wilwood front panel in the box of packaged aluminum. You won't find patches/covers for all the extra holes. There is a cover for the large diameter hole, and the manual has you drill that, insert a grommet, and run the harness through it.
    I do. It is just plain aluminum, not powder coat in white. I guess I could go that way. Or I may just make a couple of cover plates and find something close to the same white. What perhaps I can polish the cover plates to look strong. It’s going to be inside that box anyway so it’s not going to be readily visible. Do you have any idea what the smaller hole was used for? I just want to make sure it’s going to be OK to cover it up as I’m probably going to put the reservoir right directly in front of that

    Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 ( #8 of 20 ) Purchased 8/18/18 Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here

  6. #6
    Papa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    1,245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    I do. It is just plain aluminum, not powder coat in white. I guess I could go that way. Or I may just make a couple of cover plates and find something close to the same white. What perhaps I can polish the cover plates to look strong. It’s going to be inside that box anyway so it’s not going to be readily visible. Do you have any idea what the smaller hole was used for? I just want to make sure it’s going to be OK to cover it up as I’m probably going to put the reservoir right directly in front of that
    I believe the smaller hole was for a donor clutch setup, but that's a guess.
    There are 10 types of people in this world;
    those who understand binary and those who don't.

    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754

  7. #7
    edwardb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Posts
    4,981
    Post Thanks / Like
    The information you're getting is correct. That's the donor DS footbox front. The Wilwood version doesn't have the extra holes. Unfortunately this was a known error with the 20th Anniversary kits that FFR put the white powder coat on the wrong one. Happened with mine and a bunch of others as well. At the time, when requested FFR sent purchasers the correct coated panel. In my case, I had some other custom panels so got some of the same powder they used (Prismatic Powders PSS-1353 soft satin white) and had the Wilwood panel and my custom panels done locally.

    Filling the unused holes with covers is an option in your case if you don't want to try to get the correct panel coated.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-08-2018 at 10:42 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
    Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. #7750 Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. #8674 Build Thread
    Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Delivered 12/2/2017. #59 Coupe Build Thread

  8. #8
    Senior Member BadAsp427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Paul,
    I actually fabricated a small cover plate that I put in between the 20th panel and the solid steel plate to cover the small hole. I'm then mounting my chrome reservoir to that plate with one of the mount bolts dead center and the other below it. This pretty much completely hides the hole. I also just got back from wally world with some flat white rustoluem primer/top coat that I test painted on another piece of aluminum and it matches nearly perfect. Tomorrow I will tape off and paint the hole and it should be all but gone. Thinking of taping off and painting the other large area that is open in the panel so that it basically camouflages it. I think all in all it will look just fine, especially after all the engine components are in place.

    I find it interesting that I also received a full set of all of the panels that were powder coated that are plain. I guess that means I have lots of cool fabrications metal.

    Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 ( #8 of 20 ) Purchased 8/18/18 Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Brown County Customs

Visit our community sponsor