Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Texas guys, a few questions about registration process

Post Thanks / Like

Texas guys, a few questions about registration process

I'm getting close to being able to get my car titled and registered. I'm in Travis County in Texas. I know I have to get the ASE safety inspection and I have a place that can do that. I also know I need to get a certified weight on the car. The closest CAT weigh station seems to be about 35 miles from my house. I plan to register it as a custom vehicle to avoid the annual safety inspection requirements.

Is there any way to get a temporary tag permit on an FFR in Texas now so I could legally drive the car to the inspection and weight station? I can't seem to do it online without a 16 digit VIN, which of course, I don't have yet. Otherwise, did you other Texas guys just trailer the car to the inspection and weight station?

I have my insurance and after a few little things are complete, I'm ready to do this. I plan to drive it in gelcoat for a few months.
    LS1, TKO600, IRS, no scoop, undercar exhaust. Delivered June 14, 2017, First start December 31, 2017, Registered and Titled Sept 12, 2019.

Post Thanks / Like
    that process wasn't required when I titled mine, however I did trailer the car to DMV for initial inspection.
    Just curious, if you title it as a 'replica' for the street rod tags, will the title still show 1965 as the year of manufacture?

edit...custom vehicle tags, not street rod tags...

Post Thanks / Like
    You can title it in TX as a custom vehicle 1965 shelby replica. The nice thing is that exact example is in the texas assembled vehicle manual.

https://www.txdmv.gov/publications-t...vehicle-manual
    LS1, TKO600, IRS, no scoop, undercar exhaust. Delivered June 14, 2017, First start December 31, 2017, Registered and Titled Sept 12, 2019.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a "short" version of what I did dec last year... all in Gelcoat.
    - Got full insurance. 1 year. Went through Hagerty.
    - Got 30 temp Registration from Tax Office. Was easy to get this.
    - Drove my car to a near by shop for wheel alignment.
    - Drove my car to the ASE mechanic for inspection.
    - Didn't have a certified weight, didn't end up needing it. Everybody was fine with a "best guess" weight. Not sure if it was a fluke or not.
    - Used the F5 provided stamped code on the frame as the offical VIN for all steps.
    - Took all my paperwork to Tax Office, drove my car cuz I could, obtained official REGISTRATION!! Took about 45 minutes.
    - FYI.. I got dinged having to pay tax.. (only on the kit price at least) and I"m convinced I should not have. I don't think the lady understood that I didn't buy the car, I BUILT it.
    - as mcondos said.. get "custom vehicle tags". That should mean no yearly inspections. But, I'm not past 1 year yet to confirm.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Skidd,

I guess I'll go into my tax office. Did you just use the MSO from FFR as the supporting doc for getting the temp tag at the tax office?

This is why we can't purchase them online anymore.

Online Temporary Permits
    Texas Department of Motor Vehicles sent this bulletin at 06/13/2018 10:49 AM CDT
    Please review and distribute as appropriate.

With the implementation of Registration and Title System (RTS) Release 9.1.0, the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) introduced new security features for online temporary permits. These security features are intended to help prevent the permits from being used fraudulently. In addition to the recently implemented security features, the TxDMV has been working on additional features to enhance security of the temporary permits.

Based on the implementation timeframe for the additional security features and law enforcement concern of fraudulent activity, One-Trip and 30-Day Permits are temporarily unavailable online. Customers will still have the option to purchase One-Trip and 30-Day Permits through the county offices and 16 TxDMV Regional Service Centers via RTS. The 72-Hour and 144-Hour Permits are still available online.

At this time, we do not have a date when the One-Trip and 30-Day Permits will be made available online, but we will keep you informed. We appreciate your patience as we work to make the online temporary permit application better.

Thank you,

Jeremiah Kuntz, Director
    Vehicle Titles and Registration Division
    Texas Department of Motor Vehicles

Post Thanks / Like
    skidd, what year is yours titled as?
    This verbiage indicates to me that a replica is now titled as the year it was built...

from sec 4.1
    "The description of the vehicle must state:
    Make: Assembled.
    Year Model: Year in which assembled.
    Body Style: “2D” (2D Sedan), “4D” (4D Sedan),"

from sec 4.3
    "Eligible vehicles being registered for Custom Vehicle or Street Rod license plates must be
    titled as any other ASVE (Assembled Vehicle) but must also carry the replica brand of the
    year and make they resemble (unless the vehicle is a true, original to the year of
    manufacture). For example, an assembled vehicle built to resemble a 1935 Ford that
    would normally be titled as a 2012 ASVE would need to be titled as a 2012 ASVE with a
    REPLICA: 1935 FORD brand"

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't recall exactly what I had, but I remember getting the temp tags was pretty easy. I think I brought the Bill of Sale, Pictures of it. Copy of Insurance. Picture of Vin. .. I think that was it. The lady was awesome that I dealt with. She'd done temp-tags for hundreds and hundreds of built and restored cars. She loved the cobra and it was the first one she'd temp-tagged.

As for my title, it's titled as a:
    Year: 2018
    Make: ASSE
    Body: RD

2018 Assembled Roadster
    Then, in the remarks they put "Replica 1965 Ford".
    Last edited by skidd; 09-12-2018 at 08:39 PM.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    man that's a bummer that they changed. I wonder how many other states have emissions exemptions for replicas like texas (for potential out-of-state sales)
    FFR6653 - 3.1 complete delivered 6/10/08, first start 2/18/2009, go-kart 3/31/09, titled 12/7/2011, 331 DSS short block, Holley Street HP650 DP/Vic Jr intake, Edel RPM 2.02 heads, XE282HR, 3.55, TKO600 .64OD midshift, 3 link, badass black, fat 15's on Team3's, Boig QuietPipes

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought I'd add to this thread, what happened to me today.
    Back story, Initial Title and Registration last December (2017). I had everything I needed, and it was a long, but pretty smooth process. The girl at the counter seemed to know what she was doing.
    Here in Texas, you need a yearly inspection done.. except for cars registered as "Assembled Vehicles". In fact, they put a replica 1965 Shelby Cobra as their example in the booklet.

Fastforward to a week ago, and I try to do my next years registration through the TxDOT online system. No Bueno. It says I need an inspection. D'Oh!
    So.. today, i drive into the Tax office to see if I can get it sorted out.

Words of advice guys, keep ALL your paperwork, and COPIES OF ALL your paper work. I walked in with everything, including my title.
    The lady said that indeed the system showed that I needed inspection. So, I showed her the parts in the txDOT PDF that explains why I don't.
    So.. off she went to talk to her supervisor. A good 20+ minutes later, she and her supervisor come back ... and lay it all out.

She said that when the original registration and title was done, the lady forgot to "check a box" on the system to indicate it was a "Custom Vehicle". The supervisor confirmed it was her mistake, as she pointed out on my copies of the original paperwork where the checkbox was indeed checked. But, was not put into their computer. D'Oh! She said my car was accidentally registered as a standard passenger car.

So.. she tapped on the keys a bunch of times, handed me a "temp" paper plate, and said the new "Custom Plates" would be in the mail in a couple of weeks. Good thing I had driven my Cobra to the office today, cuz I just walked out, pulled off the old plates, slapped in teh temp plates.. and.. we're good to go..... I hope.

We'll see what happens next year this time.. if the re-rego goes smooth this time. On the up side, the lady at the counter was positive that the online re-registration process should be able to handle a "Inspection Exempt" vehicle. So.. hopefully, I won't have to go back to the Tax office.

10. Thanks RoadRacer, TexasAviator thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you I am doing this right now

Post Thanks / Like

Texas dmv

Aviator - how did your process at the DMV go? I am about to do the same process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to be clear, I do not need any emissions equipment for a roadster in Harris County, even if I use a 98 donor, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct.
    The tax office wanted to know what the motor was from for some reason. Mine is a 302 out of a 99 explorer.
    But, I think that's just so they can track it if it happened to be from a stolen car or something. I dunno.
    Either way, titled as an "Assembled Vehicle" based on a car from 1965 seems to exempt from all yearly current inspection and emissions.
    Though.. to be honest, San Antonio has no emissions testing anyway.. so.. that's a non issue here.
    That said, re-registered this year, and despite the confusion I outlined above, I did not have to produce any inspection or emissions results to them.