FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: clutch Cable pivot pin removal

Post Thanks / Like

clutch Cable pivot pin removal

my clutch pedal felt wobbly so I looked and found the pivot pin walked its way out and is barely hanging on the pedal. However, the pin wont slide out. Is it supposed to freely spin? Or is it hooked to the silver cable holder?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]92830
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]92831
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]92832
    [/ATTACH]IMG_4463.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not attached to anything. It should spin freely. Heres what happens though. There are some really thin washes in between the clutch pedal and the housing. when the pivot shaft slides out like that, the washers get hung up in the C clip groove. You really need to upgrade to the newer style clutch quadrant or this will keep happening.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, thanks for the info. I cant seen to get to the pin easily to hammer it out or get vise grips on it. I'm working on my back, upside down, with only one arm in the foot box. Got stuck and had to have my son pull me out by my feet! LOL. How do people get to this component? It this a bigger job than I think... removal of the body to get to it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, thanks for the info. I cant seen to get to the pin easily to hammer it out or get vise grips on it. I'm working on my back, upside down, with only one arm in the foot box. Got stuck and had to have my son pull me out by my feet! LOL. How do people get to this component? It this a bigger job than I think... removal of the body to get to it?
    Last edited by dpariso; 09-08-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: posted twice by mistake

Post Thanks / Like
    Its possible you may need to remove the body to fix it correctly. I would not try just fixing it. You either need the new quadrant that straddles the pedal or go hydraulic. Either way its a big job with the body on. Do you have an access panel on the footbox top?
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I had this type quadrant on my car and the pedal broke, ffr sent me the new quadrant for the shipping price as there was a recall years ago on this happening. not an easy job to change have to do most of it blind by feel. they wante to charge me over $100.00 but I got them to give it to me for just the shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the pin out but not with a few scars on the cobra and my knuckles. Had to cut a hole in the left side of foot box to side the pin out. I fear the new pin will not line up in smoothly and I was hammering and twisting the clutch cable holder. I reline it up but I can't get to the bolt.
    hole.jpg
    I have no access from the top unless I cut a hole (YIKES)!
    top footbox.jpg
    In the youtube video it shows a different clutch cable holder. Mine only has one bolt (which I think is out of alignment to slide new pin in) compared to the screen shot pic with has two. I assume Mark IV vs. my Mark III.
    bolt.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dpariso View Post
    I got the pin out but not with a few scars on the cobra and my knuckles. Had to cut a hole in the left side of foot box to side the pin out. I fear the new pin will not line up in smoothly and I was hammering and twisting the clutch cable holder. I reline it up but I can't get to the bolt.
    hole.jpg
    I have no access from the top unless I cut a hole (YIKES)!
    top footbox.jpg
    In the youtube video it shows a different clutch cable holder. Mine only has one bolt (which I think is out of alignment to slide new pin in) compared to the screen shot pic with has two. I assume Mark IV vs. my Mark III.
    bolt.jpg
    that video is showing the fix that ffr came out with that I mentioned to fix the problem with the clutch pedal breaking.