FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Shelby Daytona CSX 2300 sighting at Goodwood Revival in UK last weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Shelby Daytona CSX 2300 sighting at Goodwood Revival in UK last weekend.

Walking thru the paddocks at the Goodwood Revival last weekend, I noticed a familiar shape and I totally geeked out. There were others around geeking out also so I think it was OK. An original Shelby Daytona(CSX 2300). I was at the event in 2015 when all 6 were present, but at that time, I hadn't even thought about building the 65 Coupe so the Daytona was not really on my radar.

The Revival is a great event in Chichester(south), England. It is like Disney World for vintage car lovers. Every turn has something interesting. Drivers race multimillion dollar cars like they really want to win. It is amazing that they run these cars like they were meant to be run, even if that means swapping paint or getting pinched in the corners. Car years range from 1946 to 1966. Attendants typically dress in garb from their favorite period. One would look ridiculous in period dress at the gas station, but once at the Revival, you would feel out of place if you didn't dress up. It is just as much a social/cultural event as it is an auto event. As we get older, I think it is natural to be less impressed with things. "Been there, done that..." This place gets me excited.

After I arrived, I spent an hour in the parking lot before I even entered the gates because the quality and quantity of cars driven to the event is fantastic. The weather was perfect this year. No rain and around 68. Paddocks are packed with dream cars. I was doing the math, thinking that the total value participating in this event was well over $400M. A couple of 250 GTOs get you part way there. Who knows how much in the parking lot? Some paddocks are totally open and others restricted. Signs in the paddocks say that you must wear appropriate vintage clothing in the paddocks.

The Daytona's paddock was closed to most except for drivers/owners/mechanics/press and a handful of other privileged individuals. You can still get pretty close though(about 4 feet away behind a low fence). At first I asked the car attendant if he would take some interior pics for me. He was kind enough to oblige. Later, I got the courage to talk my way into the paddock for "a couple of quick pics of the Daytona". I admit the pictures could have come out better. It was low light with lots of back lighting. I took them quickly to try to get as much detail as possible. People were all over the car, so I couldn't exactly get full car shots. My thoughts on the car versus FFR's coupe is that the Gen 1 and 2 seem truer to the original. The frame seems ballpark similar as do the footboxes. I fully understand and appreciate the changes made in the Gen 3 coupe. It is more visually appealing, a better performing frame and certainly safer. I am OK with the fact that they borrowed from some other cars of the period with respect to the body. Can't beat the 250 GTO.

The Goodwood Revival has a good Youtube channel if you are interested. I hope you enjoy these pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks cgundermann, Straversi thanked for this post
    Likes David Hodgkins, Clover, 1965daytona liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More Pictures.

4. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And More Pictures.

6. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting the pics. Not sure if you saw the below video but I think it is the same car going up FOS Hill in July and I am confident the driver made a lot of people smile on the way up. I sure would love to go to one of the events over there one day.

Last edited by Clover; 09-14-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    Gen III Type 65 Coupe Delivered 6/26/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Freaking awesome; that Daytona is tearing it up!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.