Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: October Roadster Build School

Post Thanks / Like

October Roadster Build School

Signed up for the October Build School, Oct 19-21, who else is planning to attend?

For those that have attended previous schools, any recommendations for preparing? I've read the manual a couple times, noting questions needing answers while there; read numerous Build threads with copious note taking; watched the videos; and actively monitor/read threads on the forum - what am I missing to ensure I get the most out of it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I went in July 2017. Sounds like youre on track. I took a lot of photos and marked them with notes which is helping me in my build...like brake line placement, fuel lines, and little things here and there. Im pretty much assembling mine in the same general order. They have a good crew teaching and youll have fun. After class some guys and instructors go out to dinner.

Travelling from California I made a vacation out of my trip. One thing I did was arrive a day earlier and toured the Ford Museum, ford factory, and Greenfield village, and Detroit. On the back end after the class I went to visit the Roush facilities and museum and also went to Ann Arbor.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, you are going to have a blast, or at least I did and I think the rest of my group did as well. Sounds like you are going to be a lot more prepared then I was as I had only watched the videos and read posts on here. I would recommend that you plan your order before you get there so you can ask specific questions about what you are going to build. You can also look at the specific options where you are there. This saved me money as I decided there were a few things I did not really need.

Plan out ahead of time how you want to take notes and pictures. There was a guy in my build school that had a numbered notepad. He would take a picture of the number, then a picture of a part of the car. He then added his notes on what the picture showed under the associated number in the notepad. Later they typed up his notes to go along with each picture and it was very helpful to be organized. Now that I am going back through my notes, I wish I had been set up like him. I am sure there are other methods that work for different people, just plan out a system that will work for you.

I took an extra day after the build school to go tour the Roush factory which was terrific. I was like the gearhead equivalent of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I think five of us ended up doing the tour which was eye opening. They are so much more impressive then I ever knew. You just need to go to understand everything they are involved with. Vipers to WWII Merlin Mustang engine restorations. The factory is basically in Detroit, so I went on the tour before my flight home.

Lastly, the group tends to go out to dinner after each day. I recommend you go as we all ended up having a great time and building some good friendships.
    Gen III Type 65 Coupe Delivered 6/26/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Vspeeds and Clover.

I have travel days on either end of the School so probably not going to make the Ford Museum, Roush factory, etc., but great suggestions. I have my Build plan together and will definitely use that as a guide for questions and areas to focus. I like the idea you shared Clover for aligning notes with pics - still thinking through my approach for that but probably something similar given my type A, OCD personality. I'll definitely be participating in any dinners or social activities - valuable time to further dig into Build questions and building relationships.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you have good advice. I'll repeat to take plenty of pics and notes. I went in July of '16 and enjoyed every minute. I'm about 75% into my build and still find the info usefull.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, JR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any time you would like to come down and see my build you are welcome. PM me for info. If you are interested. You may want to wait a couple weeks there is another guy 5 mins. from me thet has a Mk3 on the road but he is on vac and not home.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Likewise. Anytime you would like to drop by, I'm in Fairfax.

Also, ScottieC is in Chantilly as well.

Cheers,

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, JR and John. I'll definitely take you up on those offers - will send PMs.

John, I've actually already connected with Scottiec and he was nice enough to give me his body buck! ��