FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 3/8" NiCopp Tube to AN Braided Hose Fitting?

Post Thanks / Like

3/8" NiCopp Tube to AN Braided Hose Fitting?

I've got info on fittings if you have SS tubing, but I haven't read much about the NiCopp. Can you use the same transition fittings for the fuel line or is there another recommendation?
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a compression fitting to go from the hardline to AN, but using mechanical fuel pump so low pressure. I believe there are flare to an fittings too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you can go from NiCopp (nickel/copper) lines to AN fittings. As Murd said, use compression fitting only on carb set ups with low pressure, (3-4 psi). You need to have flair fittings for EFI with 40 psi fuel pressures. I used TechAFX fittings for my build.

You will like NiCopp lines as they are easy to work with. While I did use tools to bend some of my lines I was able to make some of my bends by hand. The NiCopp can also be polished to look like bronze. Porsche and Audi are at least two car manufactures that use NiCopp lines.

http://techafx.com/

IMG_5961 by George Ligon, on Flickr

George
    Last edited by GWL; 09-16-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume you are going to be using double flares on your Nicopp. You need to get an inverted flare to AN union. I believe this is the one I used:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-491942-bl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
    I assume you are going to be using double flares on your Nicopp. You need to get an inverted flare to AN union. I believe this is the one I used:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-491942-bl
    Thanks guys. I’m using the pre-made lines from my local auto parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful when looking at flare fittings. There are 37 deg and 45 deg and I forget which is which. Here is a quick explanation.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-t...xplained/28780
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Be careful when looking at flare fittings. There are 37 deg and 45 deg and I forget which is which. Here is a quick explanation.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-t...xplained/28780
    Thanks. So if I'm understanding the link correctly, the 37 degree is the same as a double flare? I know that these pre-made lines are double flares by the look of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Thanks. So if I'm understanding the link correctly, the 37 degree is the same as a double flare? I know that these pre-made lines are double flares by the look of them.
    Actually no. Most common double flares are 45 degrees. Pretty good chance those pre-made double flare tubes you're buying have 45 degree flares. 37 degree flares are typically single flares and are usually AN fittings. Those are generalizations and need to check carefully though.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 3/8" fuel Lines are single flair 37° while my brake lines are 45° double flare.

Those fuel line fittings in the above post of mine are -6AN to the 37° single flare.

George
    Last edited by GWL; 09-18-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GWL View Post
    My 3/8" fuel Lines are single flair 37° while my brake lines are 45° double flare.

Those fuel line fittings in the above post of mine are -6AN to the 37° single flare.

George
    I’ll have to check and see what flare the premade 3/8 lines are. I would think they are different than the 3/16

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll have to check and see what flare the premade 3/8 lines are. I would think they are different than the 3/16
    Why? I'd be pretty surprised if anything you buy over the counter at a consumer level parts stores is anything other than 45 degree double flare. On any of the size lines they carry. It's pretty much the standard for plumbing in production built cars on this side of the pond. AN fittings with 37 degree single flares are common in aftermarket builds like ours. But wouldn't typically be carried in most parts stores. Sure aren't at the ones around here. (Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, Advance, etc.).
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-18-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Compression fitting are absolutely OK for EFI fuel pressure. I had them on my fuel lines, and when I needed to re-route them, I found it was impossible to remove them, to get them off I had to cut the line.

Post Thanks / Like
    What fitting would you guys suggest as a transfer from the 3/8" hard line to the mechanical fuel pump?

Post Thanks / Like
    What fitting would you guys suggest as a transfer from the 3/8" hard line to the mechanical fuel pump?
    I'm pretty green to all this myself, but here is my input:

Your hard line is going to be a double flare (inverted flare) with a tube nut on it (a 3/8" hard line will have a 5/8-18 tube nut). From your fuel pumps to your filter is generally going to be a flex line (I went with stainless braided PTFE nylon line) with AN fittings (a 3/8" hose is going to use AN6 fittings). To go from a female AN fitting to the male tube nut, you will need a union that is male AN on one end and female inverted flare on the other, like the one in the link I posted above. What sort of fuel pump and filter are you going to use? Most fuel pump hangers have the quick-connect fittings on them, but my M-Pro Racing had AN fittings on it. My LS style fuel regulator, however, was all quick-connect so I ended up making 2 flex lines with AN6 female on one end, and quick-connect fittings on the other to go from fuel pump to my regulator, and the output from the regulator was a short flex with quick-connect on one end and AN6 on the other. I used a AN6 to Inverted flare union to connect that flex line to my Nicopp hard line, and another on the other end to connect the hard line to my flex line that will go to the engine. On the other end of that flex line is a quick-connect to the fuel rail. You can certainly do it other ways, but this is what I did. Some people use AN on both ends of the flex and then add an AN to Quick-connect, but that just seems to be too many fittings when a single quick-connect will do. I would look to see what your pump hanger, filter, and regulator require and just draw it all out.
    Last edited by shark92651; 09-18-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fittings are a pain because there are so many different types. They are also hard to tell apart if you are not experienced. One that I didn't see mentioned that you can get at your local parts store is a bubble flare. Just to add more confusion.

NEVER use compression fittings on brake lines. A good panic stop can generate up to 2000psi. Compression fittings do not have a good mechanical coupling if there is a problem, like a fitting coming loose. You are much more likely to blow the line out of the fitting.

Use the fewest different types and the fewest amount of fittings as you can. Double flare and AN should get everything done. I don't use compression fittings on cars at all.

Fuel line (double flare) to SS braided (AN) - ----- SS braided (AN) to the fuel pump (NPT)

If you want your lines to look nice, use a tubing bender. You can also get creative and use sockets, soup cans etc for NiCopp. Hand bends tend to be unsightly.
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 09-18-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicopp has been great in terms of being able to bend it. Getting pretty good with the circular bends using a beer bottle. I ordered this from Breeze. On the right track?

Fitting, 3/8" OD Tube to 06AN Male, 316 Stainless Steel

This double ferrule 316 stainless steel swage fitting adapts any 3/8" OD hard tube to 06 AN male. Can be used to convert the outlet of the Breeze 70099 carbureted fuel pickup from 3/8” beaded hose to 06-AN Male. Minimum fitting I.D. = .281". Also used to convert the fuel supply outlet on an aftermarket FG30B EFI Fuel Pump Bracket, FFR supplied fuel filter inlet and outlet or any other 3/8" OD Tube to 06-AN Male. This fitting replaces and improves upon the Breeze 70553.

Post Thanks / Like
    That should work, looks like a quality piece and SS as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicopp has been great in terms of being able to bend it. Getting pretty good with the circular bends using a beer bottle. I ordered this from Breeze. On the right track?

Fitting, 3/8" OD Tube to 06AN Male, 316 Stainless Steel

This double ferrule 316 stainless steel swage fitting adapts any 3/8" OD hard tube to 06 AN male. Can be used to convert the outlet of the Breeze 70099 carbureted fuel pickup from 3/8” beaded hose to 06-AN Male. Minimum fitting I.D. = .281". Also used to convert the fuel supply outlet on an aftermarket FG30B EFI Fuel Pump Bracket, FFR supplied fuel filter inlet and outlet or any other 3/8" OD Tube to 06-AN Male. This fitting replaces and improves upon the Breeze 70553.
    That's a Ham-Let Stainless Steel 316 Let-Lok Compression Fitting. Specifically 762LFL _ 3/8 X 3/8. I know because I've used them in multiple builds to transition from 3/8 SS hardline to 6AN connections for fuel lines. Fantastic quality and when used with the proper tubing, have pressure capabilities way beyond anything our application will ever see. No need for a flare, tube nut, or stack of adapters. The mfg has specific requirements for what tubing they can be used with. Plus there are specific instructions for how to install them. This size is 1-1/4 turns on the compression nut. Only question for me is whether your Nicopp line is proper to use with these. Not doubting necessarily. I just don't know. Haven't used it or checked. Maybe Mark at Breeze could confirm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    That's a Ham-Let Stainless Steel 316 Let-Lok Compression Fitting. Specifically 762LFL _ 3/8 X 3/8. I know because I've used them in multiple builds to transition from 3/8 SS hardline to 6AN connections for fuel lines. Fantastic quality and when used with the proper tubing, have pressure capabilities way beyond anything our application will ever see. No need for a flare, tube nut, or stack of adapters. The mfg has specific requirements for what tubing they can be used with. Plus there are specific instructions for how to install them. This size is 1-1/4 turns on the compression nut. Only question for me is whether your Nicopp line is proper to use with these. Not doubting necessarily. I just don't know. Haven't used it or checked. Maybe Mark at Breeze could confirm.
    I was thinking the same thing Paul. The description just said 'hard tube' but I'll ask Mark. Worst case scenario is that I use the Poly-Armour steel lines. They are coated for rust protection and durability with a poly-vinyl type of coating. Just picked up some of these today as I wanted something a little more durable than the NiCopp for the brake line running to the rear under the car. Since I'm using the pre-flared lines, I can't use the gravel guard, as I'd have to get a pretty large size to fit over the end pieces. Although not as easy as the NiCopp, they bend fairly easily and are definitely more durable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't used the compression fittings on NiCopp either. But, knowing how easy it is to bend and flare, my gut says it may be too soft for a compression fitting. I will be checking back to see what Mark says.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was considering compression fittings, at one time, but decided not to based on a conversation I had with the tech department at Russell Performance. They said it was OK for carb setups with pressures around 3-5 psi but do not recommend using them with EFI pressures as I was running at 40 psi.

I know some have used compression fittings here and have been successful but with EFI fuel pressures I was not going to take a chance. At one time, I was a novice regarding AN fittings and did not have the ability to make the 37° flares but I did some reading and finally bit the bullet and bought an AN flare tool. You can buy a Ridgid AN Tool for just over $100. The well known Eastwood tool ($190 + AN accessories) now has AN dies as an accessory. When I was doing these flares they did not have that accessory. I was able to source the dies from another manufacturer that fit the Eastwood tool. Right after that Eastwood added that accessory.

Now, I've got to admit, I had a hell of a time learning to make successful 45° double flares with the copper/nickel lines. Others have said it was easy but I was just never happy at the beginning. With practice I adjusted the exposure of the tube out of the die and became more successful. It is also very important that you square the end of the tube and clean any metal burrs from both from the inside and outside of the tube. The outside of the tube then needs to be slightly chamfered.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I haven't used the compression fittings on NiCopp either. But, knowing how easy it is to bend and flare, my gut says it may be too soft for a compression fitting. I will be checking back to see what Mark says.
    I was thinking the same thing Paul. The description just said 'hard tube' but I'll ask Mark. Worst case scenario is that I use the Poly-Armour steel lines. They are coated for rust protection and durability with a poly-vinyl type of coating. Just picked up some of these today as I wanted something a little more durable than the NiCopp for the brake line running to the rear under the car. Since I'm using the pre-flared lines, I can't use the gravel guard, as I'd have to get a pretty large size to fit over the end pieces. Although not as easy as the NiCopp, they bend fairly easily and are definitely more durable.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWL View Post
    I was considering compression fittings, at one time, but decided not to based on a conversation I had with the tech department at Russell Performance. They said it was OK for carb setups with pressures around 3-5 psi but do not recommend using them with EFI pressures as I was running at 40 psi.

I know some have used compression fittings here and have been successful but with EFI fuel pressures I was not going to take a chance...
    As I said before, I've used these Let-Lok fittings a lot and they are rock solid. But my experience is only on rigid stainless tubing. Their literature does say they can be used with copper tubing. I'm assuming (always dangerous, I know) NiCopp would have similar characteristics. But again, I have no personal experience. Check their literature: http://www.ham-let.com/downloads/act...ile/file/18605. Includes installation instructions. But also requirements for tubing including copper. Must be a certain roundness and wall thickness. Also note the rated PSI values. All in the 1000's. Our pressures on fuel lines, even in the 40-50-60 range for EFI, are just not an issue. The wedge seal on these connectors creates a bubble in the line (again, in my experience with stainless) that is literally impossible to get apart. Trust me, I've tried.

On a separate note, not sure why you're messing around with rock guard for the brake lines. Doesn't hurt anything I guess. Properly installed, e.g. high on the 4-inch tubes and otherwise inside the chassis, the lines aren't particularly vulnerable. Especially in the driving and road conditions these are normally driven in. Unless you're planning some off-roading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    "Compression" fitting is not equal to a "Swage" fitting. The swage fitting moves metal to create a seal between the ferrule and the tube OD. It will do this on any metal tubing - stainless, nicop, copper, zinc plated steel, aluminum. The Hamlet brand is a swage fitting and is made to handle thousands of PSI (depends on tubing used mostly) so as Edward B said above easily handles EFI fuel pressure. The great advantages over pre-made double flare connections is with a simple straight cut in the tube you can make your lines the exact length you need for a professional looking installation and you don't have to develop experience and skill to make a properly formed double flare.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    On a separate note, not sure why you're messing around with rock guard for the brake lines. Doesn't hurt anything I guess. Properly installed, e.g. high on the 4-inch tubes and otherwise inside the chassis, the lines aren't particularly vulnerable. Especially in the driving and road conditions these are normally driven in. Unless you're planning some off-roading.
    If I do any off roading, it won’t be intentional. . I like the gravel guard for the protection and looks, but I’ll settle with the extra protection as the Nicopp lines are very soft In comparison to the steel. I’ll be going with the Poly Armor though.

Thanks for the reply Mark. Looks like the Nicopp is good to go with the Swage fitting

Post Thanks / Like
    In areas of concern, I covered my lines with black vapor hose that I split longitudinally and slipped over the line. In the picture above, post #3, you can just see a bit of the hose over those lines as it comes up from under the chassis.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Another question a little off point but still EFI fuel system. Has anybody used the Dorman kit that uses standard GM quick disconnect fittings and Nylon hard ( ish ) line to plumb an EFI system ..? Saw a build video on this and though pricey for the tool, it looks like a very clean professional install. Anybody use that and are you happy with it...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyAndy View Post
    Another question a little off point but still EFI fuel system. Has anybody used the Dorman kit that uses standard GM quick disconnect fittings and Nylon hard ( ish ) line to plumb an EFI system ..? Saw a build video on this and though pricey for the tool, it looks like a very clean professional install. Anybody use that and are you happy with it...?
    There is a lot of plastic line in modern standard cars so I know it can work. The one concern for me would be that in the Lexus cars I used to work on, if you removed one of those lines that happened to be curved when installed, most of the curve remained when it was off the car. Whether they were manufactured w/ that curve built in or the curve was because the line took a set, I don't know. So research will be a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Russell compression fitting going from my 3/8 nicop to 6an to my mechanical fuel pump. I just cut the flare and nut off the end of the tubing.