BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Where Did You Put Your Roadster O2 Sensor Bung

Post Thanks / Like

Where Did You Put Your Roadster O2 Sensor Bung

Greetings,

I'd be interested to see pictures of your O2 sensor installation for the Roadster. My concern for placing the O2 sensor bung now is how it will impact the body installation when the time comes to mate the chassis to the body.

The constraints for the Holley Sniper EFI is that the O2 sensor be installed 1 to 10 inches after the collector and have at least 18 inches of exhaust pipe left after the sensor. Also, the O2 sensor cannot be installed at the bottom of the exhaust tube.

This will be a clamp-on bung installation on the stock FFR pipes. Eventually I'll be going with GasN pipes and will have them install a permanent bung, so I want to get a location that will ultimately work for them as well without doing more modification to the body when I make the switch.

Thanks for your input.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk to Georgie (Gas-N) about installing a bung in the side pipe collector. He has the location worked out. I went with a header that has a double collector that makes O2 sensor placement simple and pretty much optimal for the EFI.

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I put my sensor on the collector of my Gas-N pipes. Yes, the angle is below horizontal; and yes, I realize that I have not installed it per manufacturer's instructions. However, in the five years I've been on the forums I have not read a single thread about an O2 sensor failing due to improper installation. I even started a thread (https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...nsor-fail.html) asking if anybody's O2 sensor had failed, and got only one reported failure. So I rolled the dice, and will live with the result.

Incidentally, I ran the sensor wire through the body, up the side of the foot box, and behind the dash. You can just see the O2 connector behind the hinge in the last photo below. There's not enough room between the body and the 2" frame end for the connector, so I removed the pins from an extension wire, threaded it through the gap, and reinstalled the connector. Using the extension kept the individual wires off the edge of the 2" frame (I put some split hose on the end anyway), and gave me easy access to all O2 sensor connections.

John

IMG_4900 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_4738 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_4480 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    0.2i put mine here made a hole in the body and put a big grommet in the hole.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. I'll be incorprating your work. Much obliged.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    On my MKII.

Early "Beta test" version of what most header companies are doing now-a-days.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    Greetings,

I'd be interested to see pictures of your O2 sensor installation for the Roadster. My concern for placing the O2 sensor bung now is how it will impact the body installation when the time comes to mate the chassis to the body.

The constraints for the Holley Sniper EFI is that the O2 sensor be installed 1 to 10 inches after the collector and have at least 18 inches of exhaust pipe left after the sensor. Also, the O2 sensor cannot be installed at the bottom of the exhaust tube.

This will be a clamp-on bung installation on the stock FFR pipes. Eventually I'll be going with GasN pipes and will have them install a permanent bung, so I want to get a location that will ultimately work for them as well without doing more modification to the body when I make the switch.

Thanks for your input.

This is an interesting question, I replaced my Mass-Flo unit, my original intent was to use a Holley Sniper but not one tech I spoke to out of three would commit that the system would work properly if I sampled only one header tube, the angle on the O2 was incorrect, or it was too far from the Sniper unit itself. Because of this I ended up with a carb a Quickfuel 600vs (per Mike Forte's advise).

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What Is An O-2 Sensor?

Sorry Gang, But I'm Back & Doing My Best To Get Back In To Proper Go-Dad-Go Form!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've put them here:

Yes, below horizontal but none of the cars have ever experienced O2 sensor problems. Sometimes these cars require reasonable compromises.

Jeff

Oxygen sensor.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Who is the manufacturer for the Factory Five headers they provide, cant they have an option for some type of 4x pipe with an O2 bung in it for EFI sensors. Id like to see that option for the 351w headers. Kit owners could start off with carb then if changed to EFI in the future could just add the O2 sensor in the bung provided.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    Who is the manufacturer for the Factory Five headers they provide, cant they have an option for some type of 4x pipe with an O2 bung in it for EFI sensors. Id like to see that option for the 351w headers. Kit owners could start off with carb then if changed to EFI in the future could just add the O2 sensor in the bung provided.
    FFR is using BBK to make their headers. I agree that a double collector option offered by FFR would be good. Like you said, if you start with a carbed setup, just plug the O2 bung. If you later decide to go to EFI, unplug it and install the sensor.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't read anything that frowns on putting the O2 sensor below the horizontal - just not on the bottom of the pipe. This is to preclude the sensor from being damaged by any moisture that may accumulate there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    I haven't read anything that frowns on putting the O2 sensor below the horizontal - just not on the bottom of the pipe. This is to preclude the sensor from being damaged by any moisture that may accumulate there.
    Pretty much all the EFI systems instruct the user to angle the O2 sensor at least 10* above horizontal. Check out Figure 2 at the top of page 6 here: http://documents.holley.com/199r10653rev10.pdf

As Jeff says, sometimes these cars require compromises.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    No one ever said the mount had to be square with the side pipe. IE 90 degrees, just in the flow. We put them at the 5 or 7 o'clock position on the pipe but have them pointed as sideways as possible so they are not the lowest part of the car. We put more of the top of the bung in the pipe and less of it in the bottom of the pipe, it makes for some interesting welding but it works great. We also do not have to put a hole in the body that way. We have done this many times and so far no holes in body or broken O2 sensors. Going to do another this week. JMHO, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found these pictures on the internet, this is the way I would go in the header. The O2 sensor sticking out of the side of the body into the exhaust just doesnt look right to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    All good info - definately glad I asked the question and appreciate the responses. Think I got it now. Looks like the goal is to keep moisture from entering the sensor and in a perfect world that placement would be angled above the horizon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went the double collector route.

Olli