Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Has anyone created Build Check List for the 33?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone created Build Check List for the 33?

Did not want to reinvent the wheel here if someone has already did this. I have always created one in Excel so it was easy to see what was done and what is left to do. Builds rarely go in a specific order. But I have not done a FF car. I figured I could go through the build manual and create one but was hoping somebody may have something to start with.
    I see the first start check list. I did search with no luck. Maybe I am using the search wrong but either I get hundreds of results with every possibility or nothing at all. Maybe FF has one but have not been able to find it.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking that I might print out a second copy of the manual and as I finished the steps on a given page I'd tear it out and throw it away, just to make sure that I didn't forget/miss anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    I was thinking that I might print out a second copy of the manual and as I finished the steps on a given page I'd tear it out and throw it away, just to make sure that I didn't forget/miss anything.
    I have done similar. But the advantage of the spreadsheet check list is you can make notes for each step as completed/in progress. It is great to go back and reference in the future. I have even put links to pics I have taken during the process. I have a terrible memory so if it sits for while it takes a couple of days to get back up to speed. I hate wasting that time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I check off the items on the pages as done and add notes to the page if there were some problems or a better way to fix issues, like the doors, hood, trunk, etc.
    Now that I’m almost done I have a list on the garage wall of the final 15 (?) things I need to finish.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a white board in the shop. It has two sections, one has things to be done next time the body comes off, and the other is a general to do list.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took another members advice and just snipped off a corner of the page in the manual when I completed that page so I could easily see what was completed and what was left to do. Worked great

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

7. Likes narly1, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    I use a white board in the shop. It has two sections, one has things to be done next time the body comes off, and the other is a general to do list.
    I also use white boards to keep track of where I am and to not forget little things.

Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    I took another members advice and just snipped off a corner of the page in the manual when I completed that page so I could easily see what was completed and what was left to do. Worked great

Jim
    This is a good idea. I think I will give this a try with notes on the pages as suggested before.

Thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I check off the items on the pages as done and add notes to the page if there were some problems or a better way to fix issues, like the doors, hood, trunk, etc.
    Now that I’m almost done I have a list on the garage wall of the final 15 (?) things I need to finish.
    Same here, marked up the manual with checkmarks, n/a on sections related to options I didnt have and notes on modifications....

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    You'd think I'd have a good answer to this, since I'm all about organization and project management in my other life .

But not really.. I went through the manual almost sequentially - some parts didn't work, so I skipped around where it made sense, and turned down the corners when complete. A whiteboard was used in the final stages, where there was a list of things to do or check before go-kart, before registration, etc.

One thing I will mention though, kinda related. I built mine over 3 years, and you forget things. So I'm glad I did two things:
    1. When I final torqued an item, I put a dab of brite-mark blue paint on the bolt head or nut (whichever was visible)
    2. I entered the torque in an evernote page I have for such things, together with spark plug model and gap, oil type, timing, etc

Now, I have a page I can go to on my phone, where I have records of what torque I applied to the 3 link, or what the mixture setting/jet size on the carb is, or my last alignment settings, tire pressures, etc.

You'd be amazed how often I look at this record sheet.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    You'd think I'd have a good answer to this, since I'm all about organization and project management in my other life .

But not really.. I went through the manual almost sequentially - some parts didn't work, so I skipped around where it made sense, and turned down the corners when complete. A whiteboard was used in the final stages, where there was a list of things to do or check before go-kart, before registration, etc.

One thing I will mention though, kinda related. I built mine over 3 years, and you forget things. So I'm glad I did two things:
    1. When I final torqued an item, I put a dab of brite-mark blue paint on the bolt head or nut (whichever was visible)
    2. I entered the torque in an evernote page I have for such things, together with spark plug model and gap, oil type, timing, etc

Now, I have a page I can go to on my phone, where I have records of what torque I applied to the 3 link, or what the mixture setting/jet size on the carb is, or my last alignment settings, tire pressures, etc.

You'd be amazed how often I look at this record sheet.
    I have did similar before for cars I have worked on. I kept everything in oneNote. I have pretty much everything in it. I was going to continue my usual way unless someone had developed another/better way. I always took things apart and documented as I went, then you know how it all goes together. You are starting with a box of parts here, so I was not sure how it would go. I am noticing everything is documented between FF and all the great build threads here.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well you could always use MS Project and develop gantt charts.

I simply use a spiral bound notebook for keeping track by hand during the build and making my Next Steps list. It's a running record of the build with drawings and dimensions of parts I've fabricated and mods I've made along the way. Later entries include chassis and engine set-ups and tuning. That all gets fed into Excel documents that track everything from parts & materials (with prices, part numbers, and vendors), special tools, engine/chassis set-up and much more critical info. Then there is a file of photo documentation of the build, And finally, a build book (or sometimes books) with hard copies that ties all of it together. All this comes in handy later when maintaining and modifying your car and when you decide to sell it.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build