Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MK4 Dash Switches Question

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MK4 Dash Switches Question

Guys

I bought a blank dash so I could layout my gauges in the 'competition dash' layout. That's all gone fine and now I'm trying to determine how many extra 'holes in the dash' i need to plan. Besides the 7 gauges, here's what I think I also have to plan for:

- Ignition
    - Headlight Switch
    - Gauge dimmer ( using the RF Harness and GPS Gauges )
    - Hazard warning switch
    - Headlight Full beam switch
    - Wipers switch

Anything else that needs a hole in the dash ?

I'm using a Ron Francis harness and vintage gps gauges all from FFR. Also using a Russ Thompson turn signal and I plan to wire up the horn to that.

thanks!
    mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    What about:
    Heater or seat heaters
    I mounted the gauge dimmer on the under side.
    Again - underside - Gauge button to use the speedo functions
    Second gauge switch - You'll need a second programming push button just for the clock. Adjust for time changes.

Headlight high beam switch - You can use the button at the end of the RT turn signals. Just need relays. (also - more relays if used for horn)
    Horn Button
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I always include a manual fan override switch along with an indicator light. I also like to use an alternator charge (actually no-charge) warning light. If the indicators for turn signals and high beam aren't in your speedo face you'll want those as well.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    To add to Jeff's alternator warning light I've added a low oil pressure light in addition to the dash oil pressure gauge. I'm more likely to see that light than the oil pressure gauge as it has a large chromed bezel with the small red light, so it stands out from the rest of the lights.

The warning lights, sit in the center above the steering column. I've also got both turn signal lights and a check engine light there which makes a total of five warning lights.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    You could use a floor mount dimmer switch instead of the dash mounted switch

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all for the good suggestions. I like the idea of putting the dimmer and the calibration buttons on the underside.
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    I kept the switches on the dash to a minimum.

For lights I have L turn, High beam, R turn, Oil pressure (can't look at the gauge during autocross), and a radar detector warning (can't hear it).
    Switches - Ignition, horn, wipers, engine fan override, dr fresh air fan, pass fresh air.

Now, under dash panel is where I have all kinds of stuff. Keeps the dash simple and clean.
    radar detector power, volume/mute, two garage door openers, hazard, dr and pass heated seats, O2 unit, gauge cal, two power points, brake bias, connector for radar detector, gauge dimmer.

High/ low beam is in the Russ Thompson turn signal stalk.