Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Greetings from Armada, Michigan

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings from Armada, Michigan

Hello All,
    Took delivery of MKIV Roadster #9423 last Friday. I have been wanting to build one of these for the last fifteen years or so. Now I am fortunate enough to have the means and ability to do so. I have always been interested in mechanical things since I can remember. My father was a heavy machinery mechanic in the construction industry and always did his own auto repairs, building and welding trailers and tractor work. As a kid I would always help him when I could, handing him wrenches and learning as much as my little brain could absorb. Am currently employed as a mechanical engineer and machinist at a small design and build shop building gages and fixtures for the auto industry.
    I started a frame off restoration on a '65 GTO when I was 18, (took about 6 years to do) and have been restoring antique farm tractors for the last fifteen years or so. It will sure be nice to assemble a car without having to dissamble a decades old piece of machinery first.
    Have been reading build threads on this forum for the last couple of years picking up as much knowledge as I can. What a valuable resource this forum is. I would personally like to thank all who have ever posted to this forum and of course the forum moderator. I think I could almost build the entire car without the manual from all the information and great ideas I have gotten from all the detailed threads and photos that you have posted.
    Designed and built a frame dolly that worked out surprisingly well. Wanted the frame up off the ground enough so it was comfortable to work on. In hindsight it could of actually been a couple of inches lower.
    I ordered the MKIV complete kit with:
    Powder coated frame
    Coyote full length headers
    Leather seats
    Power steering
    IRS package, will be installing center section with Torsen diff and 3.73 gears
    GPS gauge set
    17" wheel and tire package
    sway bars
    Koni double adjustable shocks
    Front and rear Wilwwod brakes
    Plan is Coyote crate motor, Gen 2 or 3, not sure yet, and a Tremec tko 600 trans. Would like to do a little road course and autocross racing with the car and of course some spirited driving out on the country roads. I have my uncles 1936 John Deere BR tractor to finish restoring, (almost done) and a little garage refresh to do before I actually start the build. Very exited to get going.
    20180905_184025.jpg20180914_114359.jpg20180914_114515.jpg20180914_131938.jpgDSC_5926.jpg

2. Likes Duck62, Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Armada! Congrats on your kit delivery. Always a good day when that big Factory Five rig is parked in front of your place. I have a completed Mk4 (#8674) with a Gen 2 Coyote similar to what you're planning. Doing a Gen 3 Coupe now with the Gen 3 Coyote (on hand a couple weeks now) so learning about some of the similarities and differences. I'm only 30 miles away in Lake Orion. Give me a shout if any questions or anything I can do to help. Most of all, enjoy. It's a blast. Oh and that's about the nicest frame cart I've seen. Mine looks a little more like one of your unrestored tractors.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-20-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I have to agree with Paul on the frame cart. It looks fancier than most of the furniture in my home. If it's any indication of your talent, I can't wait to see what you do with your build.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Hello Armada! Congrats on your kit delivery. Always a good day when that big Factory Five rig is parked in front of your place. I have a completed Mk4 (#8674) with a Gen 2 Coyote similar to what you're planning. Doing a Gen 3 Coupe now with the Gen 3 Coyote (on hand a couple weeks now) so learning about some of the similarities and differences. I'm only 30 miles away in Lake Orion. Give me a shout if any questions or anything I can do to help. Most of all, enjoy. It's a blast. Oh and that's about the nicest frame cart I've seen. Mine looks a little more like one of your unrestored tractors.
    Thanks Paul, I've been a big fan of yours since I discovered this forum. Love the detailed info and the great photo's. Comforting to know all that information is available when taking on a project like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Welcome! I have to agree with Paul on the frame cart. It looks fancier than most of the furniture in my home. If it's any indication of your talent, I can't wait to see what you do with your build.

Dave
    Thank you Dave, been following your build thread from the start, great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I'm in Grand Rapids. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    Welcome! I'm in Grand Rapids. Jim
    Cool, another Michigander.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have to agree with you...building new from scratch is so much easier than dismantling and dealing with rust. Enjoy the build.

Quick question for those who have used a frame cart. How in the blazes do you get a 2,000lb go cart off the frame cart without using a 2 or 4 post lift?
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine off of the chassis dolly by using jack stands and my floor jacks.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    After working on farm tractors for years it forces you to be a little creative lifting and moving them. You can simply put wood blocks under your floor jack for more height or put a block between the jack pad and the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Have been reading build threads on this forum for the last couple of years picking up as much knowledge as I can. What a valuable resource this forum is. I would personally like to thank all who have ever posted to this forum and of course the forum moderator. I think I could almost build the entire car without the manual from all the information and great ideas I have gotten from all the detailed threads and photos that you have posted"

Now that's a great plan, stick with that and you will be finished in no time.

Congrats on you new adventure.

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have just starting learning about this process and making my own notes. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    This forum is such a great place to start if you are thinking of building one of these cars. The knowledge you gain will make you feel much more confident when you actually start your build. If you get stuck, there are plenty of guys here willing to help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Oh and that's about the nicest frame cart I've seen. Mine looks a little more like one of your unrestored tractors.
    No joke. If the same amount of effort goes into the build as that cart, this is going to be a beautiful Roadster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Have to agree with you...building new from scratch is so much easier than dismantling and dealing with rust. Enjoy the build.

Quick question for those who have used a frame cart. How in the blazes do you get a 2,000lb go cart off the frame cart without using a 2 or 4 post lift?
    Carefully!! I had to lift my go cart up above the level of the frame dolly, hold it there with jack stands, roll out the dolly, then lower the car slowly to the ground in multiple stages lowering the jack stands as I went. A bit nerve wracking perhaps, but it worked out ok. Slowly and carefully!!

By the way KoolAC, as one of the resident former woodworkers, Your frame dolly is making me look bad!! If you show that much attention to detail on just the frame dolly, your car will be amazing! Welcome, and we will enjoy watching your build!
    Last edited by Jazzman; 09-24-2018 at 01:17 AM.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, I don't think I could do anything to make you look bad. Followed your build from the start, just amazing.