BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Windshield Mounting

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield Mounting

I'm mounting the windshield to my FIA build but I can not see how you get you hands and/or tools under the dash and along side of the fuse box to install the bolts, HELP!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had to temporarily drop the fuse box out of the way to get in to the bolts. I could not do it without another set of hands holding the windshield in place.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I brought my hand up behind the dash and over the top of the 2" frame & fuse box. From there I was able to push the bolt through the mounting hole & thread it into the windshield post (I drilled the windshield post holes 27/64” diameter and tap each to accept the 1/2”-13 bolt).

I've got some fairly detailed information in my build log starting at post #423. https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...ter-build.html

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to say just the right words. Most of them have four letters.

Move the fuse box.

If you have multiple spacers you can use spray glue, like you use for the carpet, to hold them together. Remember, ZERO tension on those arms.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did it with the dash off. Can’t imagine the PIA with it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the Windshield quick release mount from Lodestone Billetworks. I think that Mike Forte makes one, too. It makes removing and installing the windshield (after initial installation) a 10 minute job. Initial installation was much simpler than it was with the traditional setup.
    Bill
    FFR #8275, non-donor build.
    427W, carbureted, TKO600, 3 link.
    Body work and paint by Metal Morphous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dropped the fuse box and recruited a friend of my son with small hands. Was still a two man job.
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a long set of hemostats to hold the nut till I get it started, then wrench and ratchet…..OH! and the four letter words mentioned by another...da bat

Post Thanks / Like
    One more suggestion. Lose the lock nuts. Get some regular nuts that fit and use a little blue loctite. Makes tightening things down in an awkward spot much easier.

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    I really liked the drill and tap technique used phileas but that required the correct drill bit and tap. As Norm says I use plain nuts so I can hand tighten and only use a wrench for the last turn or two. When all is finalized, run another plain nut on there to act as a jam nut.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I really liked the drill and tap technique used phileas but that required the correct drill bit and tap...
    Just got the tools out to do another one yesterday; FYI it takes a 27/64" bit and 1/2-13 tap.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This toolmakes life a lot easier in places a wrench is hard to use.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-ma...kit-63538.htmlimage_27708.jpg