Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Considering building but would like to see one in person .

Post Thanks / Like

Considering building but would like to see one in person .

Hi,
    I am considering building a 33 but would like to see one in person. I am concerned about head room leg room as I'm 6ft.2in. Wondering if anyone has one with a roof that I could look at. I live in Texas.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
    Hi,
    I am considering building a 33 but would like to see one in person. I am concerned about head room leg room as I'm 6ft.2in. Wondering if anyone has one with a roof that I could look at. I live in Texas.
    Thank you

Nuclear,

Might want to state what part of Texas you are in. There are quite a few '33s in Texas but you might be looking at a 5 or 6 hour trip.

Tim
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    There are plenty of them in TX, it's a big state. Post your location would help.
    My body isn't on yet so I can't give you an accurate head room number.
    There seems to be plenty of leg room in mine for a 5'8" person. I have seat slides with the seat moved forward about 5".

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    SEE one in person.. That was my dilemma also,,, BUT went to Huntington Beach, CA event this past April and that did it. I met Dave Smith in the street and told him I MIGHT order a 33' if I was pleased with what I saw. HE said,,,, "without a doubt, I would order one." Got my car delivered last Friday. Inventory done ( PITA ) and rear end is in yesterday. Front suspension on Back Order... Need to get it so I can get parts powder coated. Suspension is near the front of the build list sequence. I am only a little 5'8" guy ( I wonder if I will need seat slides ? ) but there were plenty of owners out there taller than me and not one of them had a complaint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Amarillo, Texas.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are small cars and the originals they resemble are even smaller. There is limited headroom in the coupe model (hard top option) but if you do find it a tight fit you can always modify the footbox area to allow more legroom and lay back the seat a bit. I've pushed my driver side floor boards forward 5" which creates a lot more legroom and my seat is 2" lower than FFR designed it to be. And even if fabrication is not your core skill set, there are shops that do this kind of work everyday. You may have one close to you. So when looking at a sample hot rod try to think outside the box if you see a fitment issue.

Good luck in your quest.

Post Thanks / Like
    weather permitting I'll have my 33 hot rod at Fort Worth, TX Good Guys Sept.28-30 . I live in Fredericksburg. TX you are always welcome come see and test drive mine

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    weather permitting I'll have my 33 hot rod at Fort Worth, TX Good Guys Sept.28-30 . I live in Fredericksburg. TX you are always welcome come see and test drive mine

The weather might be a problem... It has at least dropped from 60% coverage down to 40% coverage on Saturday so it may miss TMS completely. What will suck no matter what is the 80% humidity forecasted for that weekend.

If it's not raining all day then I will be there. My car is not ready so I'll drive there in my DD.

Nuclear, if you do make it down from Amarillo for the show then you are also welcome to drop by and see my car, which is in progress. You would be able to see it without a body to see how hard it would be to modify if needed.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep if you get in the area let me know and I will be happy to show you mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Yep if you get in the area let me know and I will be happy to show you mine.
    Hoping to be in Dallas for the State Fair. Not sure about exact dates at this time.

11. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, the head room in a 33 with a hard top will not be the issue, even if you are long in the torso. Be more mindful of the car that you are getting into, how it was built, and with what components before you judge how you fit. If the car was not built for a taller person (i.e. does it have big and tall seats, with the seats moved back as absolutely far back as possible, pedals adjusted appropriately for maximum room, steering column set for maximum room, is it a tilt column etc) then it could skew how you think you fit in the car. Being a builder, and having built cars for tall people (not strictly FFR cars) there are some tricks when building the car to maximize space. Like I said, just be mindful of the car you are testing fitting yourself into before you make a decision.
    SMG Motoring Inc.
    Custom Performance Vehicles
    www.smgmotoringinc.com
    www.facebook.com/smgmotoring

Post Thanks / Like
    [Going to be in Denver 10-7 & 10-8 any 33s I might look at. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few of us in Houston if you are ever down this way, just send me a message.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
    [Going to be in Denver 10-7 & 10-8 any 33s I might look at. Thank you.

You might want to take a look at the 33 Hot Rod Google Map and see if there is someone close to where you will be. Then shoot them a PM to see about dropping by for a visit.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017