Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sudden misfire and can't start

Post Thanks / Like

Sudden misfire and can't start

Hi everyone,

11k miles in, my Cobra experienced a sudden stop. Details:

My build.

351W - 427 - mechanical fuel pump, Quickfuel 850, MSD A6 Digital, MSD Blaster 2 and MSD distributer.

No problem up until yesterday. Cool start, drive 1/2 mile, 3rd gear, 2000 rpms, multiple misfires, engine quits. Re-start attempts, only random detonations, could not get it to fire up. All wires solid. Fuel in the carb windows and all four barrels inject when manually adjust the throttle.

Where would you start to trouble shoot?

Post Thanks / Like
    As we all know, it takes three things to make an engine run; fuel, air, and spark. In this case, you have fuel and air usually isn't the culprit, so I suspect an issue with your ignition system. I'd start with the coil. Are you getting a full +12v at the coil? Is the coil to distributor wire loose? Also be sure the distributor hold-down is not letting the distributor rotate and knock your timing out of whack. Also, look for any wires or fuses that may be burnt. Finally, I'm no expert with the MSD boxes or how to troubleshoot them, but that is a potential culprit, too.
    Last edited by Papa; 09-22-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, that is what I suspect. Thanks for the note.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    My pertronix ignition module burnt out, first thing the customer service guy asked was if I had solid core wires, he said they don’t work with them not sure if it’s the same story with your msd?
    Definitely sounds ignition related.
    Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Distributor gear roll pin may have sheared or wrong gear material and became too worn. Just a thought.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    What Olli said. My steel dist gear ate the iron cam gear. Sounds like same symptoms, hopefully it's not the cam gear.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    My MSD blaster coil died the same way
    Check the coil resistance with an ohm meter the primary 12 volt side should only be a couple of ohms the secondary high voltage side should be about 4700 ohms be sure to disconnect at least one of the coil wires before testing the resistance

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater