Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hybrid Swap Engine Break in/Tuning Advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hybrid Swap Engine Break in/Tuning Advice

I built a 2.5L EJ205/EJ257 hybrid motor for my car. It'll be December before I hope to run the car, but I'm looking for some advice on first start and break in for a modified engine.

I intend to get the car tuned on a dyno, but I'd like to do the first start/troubleshooting and first drive before that happens. However, I have no idea if the tune that was already on the donor will run/idle with the new configuration (Donor was also a hybrid swap, poorly done, but had larger injectors, TGV deletes, different intake, different fuel pump, different turbo, and different pistons than what are now on the car). I also think I might be much too far from stock to run a normal EJ205 tune for this.

Many Subaru threads have said to get a baseline tune via email from your chosen tuner and start off with that. However, I don't have an AccessPort or ECU cable that would allow me to flash it.

Any advice on this? I can purchase an Accessport or PC cable to flash, but I don't want to be throwing money away on something to use once. Any engine break in tips would be appreciated as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check with your tuner. In order to be tuned with an Accessport you’ll have to own one. Once you get the tune then you have to keep the accessport “married” to your ECU or else you’ll lose the tune. Your tuner can send you a base map for your accessport also.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grabera7 View Post
    Check with your tuner. In order to be tuned with an Accessport you’ll have to own one. Once you get the tune then you have to keep the accessport “married” to your ECU or else you’ll lose the tune. Your tuner can send you a base map for your accessport also.

Anthony
    I've been leaning towards getting a tune without the AccessPort because of the added costs of doing so. I don't have any desire to switch tunes on the fly like some Subaru owners do, so is there much added value in having an AccessPort? How do people normally approach this when they don't use an AccessPort solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually they use an opensource tuning application like RomRaider. Once you re-flash your ecu with your updated tune you can disconnect it from the laptop and drive it like normal. It does require purchasing the special cable though.
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 09-23-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ That's also the route I'm taking. At $170 for the tactrix cable, it's way cheaper than an accessport. Btw, I'm also running a hybrid motor that is fairly modified. The main thing you should do when starting it for the first time is make sure that the larger injectors are accounted for in the ECU, this can be done with an accessport or tactrix cable. If the ECU thinks it still has the stock injectors, it will run very rich. Otherwise, the start-up procedure isn't that much different from a normal setup. It's a good idea to prime the engine by removing spark plugs, turning off the fuel pump and cranking it over until you see oil pressure start to build up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    ^ That's also the route I'm taking. At $170 for the tactrix cable, it's way cheaper than an accessport. Btw, I'm also running a hybrid motor that is fairly modified. The main thing you should do when starting it for the first time is make sure that the larger injectors are accounted for in the ECU, this can be done with an accessport or tactrix cable. If the ECU thinks it still has the stock injectors, it will run very rich. Otherwise, the start-up procedure isn't that much different from a normal setup. It's a good idea to prime the engine by removing spark plugs, turning off the fuel pump and cranking it over until you see oil pressure start to build up.
    Pretty much what he said^^^. I just first started my hybrid motor that I put in some new CP pistons in a EJ257 short block, some 06 STI cams\retainers, ID 850 injectors. For just a basic start-up, change the injector settings, prime the oil pump and give it a crank. It should be fine to start and idle. That's assuming you are using the standard MAF setting. If you try to drive it, it will need some tuning on the tip-in enrichment. The 2.5L obviously needs a lot more fuel to match the increased air flow.

First step is to pick your tuner, then buy whatever tuning device they use. I decided to take on my own tuning, so I know enough to break things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    I actually downgraded the injectors...it had STI pinks, but I went back to STi side feed injectors as a package deal with new TGV and fuel rails. Stock STi is plenty for my needs as that's what I was building the engine to. But I definitely don't want to run lean so I will make sure to correct that before startup. The oil pump priming is also something I've read into and I think I'll do just as you describe!

The Tactrix cable does seem like the best idea. I'm going to call a shop in Atlanta to see if they'll send me a base tune to flash when I'm ready. That in the end will be the determining factor.