FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First bumpy start

Post Thanks / Like

First bumpy start

First start after 7 years (1 year lost while going back to school). Bumpy backfire, but running. On to next steps of tuning and getting it running smooth. Two views of first start, and second angle of a second start.

https://youtu.be/OhWdkYM4UsE

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the timing! Congrats getting back at it.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!
    Looks like you got it as far away from the house as possible. Where you anticipating it blowing up? Haha just joking.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

4. Thanks Edgeman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never can be too safe

Actually it is pushed out of an external garage just for that reason! Told my wife if anything happened, but me out first, then the car! Not a true car guy order, but what are you going to do?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Must feel good to hear it running again. Stick with it and it she'll be purring like a kitten in no time. Tell us about what engine and induction system you have there.

Post Thanks / Like
    check the spark plug coils, i had a cpl upside down and it was backfiring just like that

Post Thanks / Like
    The motor is a 331 with a DCO 8 stack injection system, and Electromotive TecGT computer. Wayne Presley, forum vendor, used to (may?) sell them. Got the induction system from another member and the computer from Wayne. I has coil packs and as clancypm suggests, that will be one of the first things I'm checking to make sure I didn't mess up. I found 3 wiring errors as I got to the first time making some noise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing better looking than an 8 stack induction IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MVRight View Post
    The motor is a 331 with a DCO 8 stack injection system, and Electromotive TecGT computer. Wayne Presley, forum vendor, used to (may?) sell them. Got the induction system from another member and the computer from Wayne. I has coil packs and as clancypm suggests, that will be one of the first things I'm checking to make sure I didn't mess up. I found 3 wiring errors as I got to the first time making some noise.
    Really love the look of the intake stacks on there.

I'm considering going with a 331 as well. Been somewhat going around in circles on this one. Originally figured a 302, then was thinking a 351W. The 331 strikes me as getting a good balance of the positives of both - most of the displacement benefit of the 351 with the weight of the 302. If you don't mind sharing I'm curious how you arrived at a 331.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCobra View Post
    Really love the look of the intake stacks on there.

I'm considering going with a 331 as well. Been somewhat going around in circles on this one. Originally figured a 302, then was thinking a 351W. The 331 strikes me as getting a good balance of the positives of both - most of the displacement benefit of the 351 with the weight of the 302. If you don't mind sharing I'm curious how you arrived at a 331.
    Really was thinking a 347, but going back and forth and researching WAY too much on if oil consumption was a real problem on 347s - went with the 331 because output was good enough. Engine builder dyno'd it with a carb at 425HP/425TQ. Good enough. Just want to have some spirited fun and a bit more go than at 302. Coyote's do the same performance, but I like the old school look and easy to fit in the bay. I feel you "pain" - just one of the dozens of fun decisions on making it your own!

Post Thanks / Like
    So, didn't have 4 of the spark plugs on the right coil pack outputs. Basically 4 were 90 degrees out of phase. Guess that would cause backfiring! Running better, but not clean yet, but one thing fixed, onto the next.

https://youtu.be/pe1cOLl1W_c