Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Coyote radiator hoses

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote radiator hoses

I am trying to hook up the upper radiator hose. I have the power steering kit provided by FFR for the coyote.

20180923_151024.jpg

When I put a factory hose onto this, it hits the pulley/belt for the power steering. For the hose to fully seat, it has to be at this angle.

20180923_151051.jpg

It appears that the hose and the fitting on the motor have a slot that mate.

I am using the hose that was supplied with the coyote as well as the hose suggested by Edward (2012 f150) with the same results.

Any one have a solution for this? If I grind the slot off of the hose, will I still get a good seal? Can I rotate the fitting on the motor? I'd like to keep the press style hose if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just cut off the locating tab. It will not cause it to leak.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    So I cut the tab off. The hose seals but spins pretty freely. I'm not a fan of it. I'm going to source a hose that it straight and will find a way to route it. That way if it spends, it won't hit the belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree the clearance in that area is really tight. But I've done two like that and neither actually hit. Not sure what the variation would be. The only difference between the hose provided with the kit and the F150 one is the shape of the hose itself. I think the clocking on the fitting is the same for both. I hadn't heard of cutting off the tab until Mike suggested it. Not sure why that wouldn't work. With the other end tied down, it's not going to spin or likely even move.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut the tab. It appears to have been a mistake. Even with the other end tied down, it moves more than I I'm comfortable with. I am going to have to buy a new piece and replace it. I am thinking I am. Going to ground down the plastic on the pipe end. It appears I am either more cautious than most or this new krg power steering system hasn't been well thought out. I'm going with the first option.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't like that the hose can rotate a bit, place it were you want and secure it with a small bead of silicone. After looking at your pics, I think I cut the tab off and also cut the plastic hose retainer off and rotated both. Then used a simple hose clamp to put it back together.

Mike
    Last edited by michael everson; 09-28-2018 at 06:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_3552.jpgIMG_3551.jpgIMG_3567.jpgIMG_3561.jpgI found a different solution to the interference between the coyote upper radiator hose and the KRC power steering belt/pully. Instead of cutting the locating tab off the fitting on the motor, cut a new slot in the fitting on the hose. That way you can decide how much clearance you want from the belt and have the connection locked in the way Ford intended, just at a different angle. Using a 2012 upper radiator hose as Paul suggested the installation was easy. I've attached a few photos.

8. Thanks richtersand thanked for this post
    Likes tbl100, Marti50 liked this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lgordon View Post
    that's super clean looking!!!!

also, the upper hose is on sale right now for $39!
    Motorcraft - Hose - Radiator (P) (KM5114)
    Last edited by toadster; 05-06-2021 at 06:09 PM.
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is close to the belt, like a couple widths of paper close, but not hitting with the F150 hose.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_3552.jpgIMG_3551.jpgIMG_3567.jpgIMG_3561.jpgI found a different solution to the interference between the coyote upper radiator hose and the KRC power steering belt/pully. Instead of cutting the locating tab off the fitting on the motor, cut a new slot in the fitting on the hose. That way you can decide how much clearance you want from the belt and have the connection locked in the way Ford intended, just at a different angle. Using a 2012 upper radiator hose as Paul suggested the installation was easy. I've attached a few photos.
    That is a really clean set up. I might change mine over. Where is your filler cap?
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthquazi View Post
    I cut the tab. It appears to have been a mistake. Even with the other end tied down, it moves more than I I'm comfortable with. I am going to have to buy a new piece and replace it. I am thinking I am. Going to ground down the plastic on the pipe end. It appears I am either more cautious than most or this new krg power steering system hasn't been well thought out. I'm going with the first option.
    I didn't cut the tab. Just sanded down a little extra clearance on the outside to make me feel better. Seems to not have any issues.
    Michael aka @my_cobra_build on Instagram
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Base MK IV Roadster with several options. Body is Lamborghini Grigio Lynx w/ Audi Vesuvius Gray stripes. 25th Anniversary FFR wheels. Seats and interior by Intatrim.
    Gen1 Coyote w/ Comp Cams & Cobrajet manifold. Tremec TKO 600 w/ a midshift kit. 2015 IRS w/ 3.73 Torsen diff. FFR Headers, Gas N Pipes, Power steering & power brakes.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    That is a really clean set up. I might change mine over. Where is your filler cap?
    pretty sure the filler is the overflow tank
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post

Its on the expansion tank with F150 or similar hoses. For the Coyote these types of tanks will save you a lot of grief with coolant loss & air pocket removal. Don't have PS so the standard F150 hose is on the car.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

15. Likes Marti50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cut a new kotch in the hose connector so it locks in.
    IMG_4364.JPG
    Mk4 Complete Kit delivered 5/2019, Gen 2 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Wilwood F/R, Power steering, Halibrand 17” X 9” Front 17” X 10.5” Rear, Nitto NT555 G2 F/R

Post Thanks / Like
    Just completed this mod. Such a simple/elegant solution. Went from unworkable to plenty of clearance. Great tip, thanks lgordon!
    Matt

FFR Complete Kit, Coyote, Tremec TKX, 3.73 IRS, power steering, 18" Halibrands, Wilwood brakes, Gas-N pipes + header, Viking blue color
    Roadster Build Time Tracker

Post Thanks / Like

PBH Upper Radiator Hose Adapter

Another option is to purchase the ACC-1073 Upper Radiator Hose Adapter for the Coyote from Power by the Hour. With their adapter installed, you can install the hose of your choice. I have it on my Mustang restomod and using a cut down Gates hose I eliminated the interference issues. The C&R radiator I am using does not have the angled upper hose connection as does the radiator for the FFR which prevented me from using the F150 hose option. Just thought I would let the FFR builders know about the PBH upper radiator hose adapter.

https://pbhperformance.com/product/c...-hose-adapter/

MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, with paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    New project, 1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered restomod. Started 10/14/16.
    http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html