BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dreamer out of Columbia, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Dreamer out of Columbia, SC

Hi all. Decided I'd register with the forum, although I'm probably about a year out from pulling the trigger. The current plan is a complete Roadster kit with a carbureted 302 and T5 from BluePrint - very mild compared to most builds here, but my plans don't involve track use. I just want to build a casual weekend cruiser that I can enjoy for many years. I've considered the donor route, but given that the compatible Mustangs are '87-'04 and its 2018, I think I'll pass due to the age of these parts. I've read plenty of comments from donor builders who've replaced so many donor parts on their builds in the years after completion that it likely would have been cheaper for them to just use all new components in the first place. Not to mention the time and hassle of salvaging and cleaning donor parts for building and replacing them when they fail - so I'm pretty sold on the complete kit.

I've never built a car, but I'm not completely green, either. I'm a DIYer where possible, plus I love cars and motorcycles, so I've replaced my share of parts over the years. I know it's highly-recommended, but I am still unsure about whether I will try to attend the build school.

My obsession with cars began in childhood and I built a lot of models, including one of a Shelby Cobra. I recall having no idea who or what Shelby was when I saw the box on the shelf in the store - just knew the car on the box was one of the most beautiful cars I'd seen.

One question for now: do people insure their kits before they're built? My irrational fear is taking a weekend trip during the build process and coming home to find that someone has made their way into my garage and stolen some or all of the components. Doubtful that it would happen, but I'm a worrier. Anyone else ever consider this? I'm thinking this is something that would be covered by home insurance, but not sure? Probably need to call my insurer up and have a talk before buying.

Anyway, looking forward to the journey!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. I am a new guy too and just down the road from you here in Aiken, SC. My story and plan is similar to yours. Except I am looking at using a donor Coyote motor and trans from a late model Mustang. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Regarding insurance, Midwest Classic Insurance is a supporting vendor and they insured mine during construction. The nice thing about them is you can chance the insured value as you go along. There are plenty of companies that will do the same thing. Good luck with your planning and hope to hear updates on your build soon.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Duck - I saw you asking about Stewart transport costs in your thread and I'm interested in what they tell you given that we're in the same area. I'm banking on roughly $1,500, give or take a bit. Let us know what they say! Have you thought about a painter yet? I intend to do the bodywork myself and take it to a shop for paint/clear, but not sure if there's anyone in our area that has experience painting these bodies. I'm not looking for show quality or anything, so I likely won't be very picky about it.

Thanks, Steve - I've spent a lot of time reading through various build threads and yours is one of my favorites. Lots of modifying and great documentation along the way with a ton of pictures. Great stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mead4Speed View Post
    Thanks, Duck - I saw you asking about Stewart transport costs in your thread and I'm interested in what they tell you given that we're in the same area. I'm banking on roughly $1,500, give or take a bit. Let us know what they say! Have you thought about a painter yet? I intend to do the bodywork myself and take it to a shop for paint/clear, but not sure if there's anyone in our area that has experience painting these bodies. I'm not looking for show quality or anything, so I likely won't be very picky about it.

Thanks, Steve - I've spent a lot of time reading through various build threads and yours is one of my favorites. Lots of modifying and great documentation along the way with a ton of pictures. Great stuff!
    My story is similar only I know way less than you both probably, but my kit got here in July and I couldn't be happier with the learning process. It is truly one of the best things I've done and I highly encourage it. As for Stewart I can say mine was $1500 all the way to Jackson, Mississippi, so where you are should be less, but certainly can't be more.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my quote. They said $1300 for delivery to Aiken. They said the driver should be able to use his dolly to put it in the garage. I have a buddy that used to paint my race bike bodywork. He lives in Greenville and has a shop at his house. I have not had him do a car for me but he did great work on my bikes. I am not planning on doing any of the bodywork. I suck at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. You have one of the best Cobra painters in the country a couple hour drive from you in Greensboro. Whitby motor cars. Highly recommend.
    Another rec for Midwest Classic. I did the same as Steve.

I had almost zero automotive experience prior to starting. I decided against build school. Nothing against it but it certainly is not required.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! All my memories of Columbia, SC are bad! That's where I did basic training about 100 years ago. Two hot, sticky summer months rolling around in the red dirt.

I wanted to comment on the insurance question. I have my build insured for invoice value through American National Property and Casualty (ANPAC). I pay about $145.00 every six months. Once the car is registered, They will provide me with an agreed-value policy at the appraised value. I definitely shared your fear of a fire or theft taking away my dream, so insurance was a no-brainer.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Scott - I'll give Whitby a look

I spent some time on Fort Jackson as well, but not a couple months. I had a brief stint in ROTC during my college days and recall spending a "cold" (quotations because it's SC) weekend sleeping on the ground in the woods during drill. Wasn't my favorite weekend in Columbia! Thanks for the insurance comment, that's great to know - didn't even consider fire, but certainly should have.