Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like

Power Steering

I have a Gen 1-33 with a manual rack and I want to upgrade to power steering. Do I have to get the kit from Factory five so the electrical connections are correct or can I order the parts from unisteer? As far as I can tell, I would need the universal kit below with 2-U-Joint 9/16 -30 x 3/4" DD.

Is that correct?

https://www.unisteer.com/collections...30004217413731
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Also followup question is that the 360w unit is what they show on the Unisteer site, but you can buy the 220w unit from Summit. Since our cars are so light, will the 220w unit work just fine?
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod

3. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone help with this question?
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a gen 1 33 hot rod also that was delivered in September 2018. My power steering unit came with the kit from FFR. Mine is a Unisteer Electra-steer model number 8051500 which I don't think they make anymore. Regardless, the instructions indicate it is suitable for up to a 2800 pound car which is just enough. I can't find any reference to the wattage on mine though I don't think that is the determining factor. Newer models are suitable for heavier cars (3500 lb or 4500 lb) so I don't think you will have any problem which ever one you choose. Regarding the wiring, mine came with just bare wires, no connectors on the car end. I'm just starting my wiring and haven't addressed the power steering yet.

FWIW the picture in your link looks very similar to the one I got in the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same unit as Davew70, it's a 170 watt unit and works just fine. A 220w unit would be fine.
    The only wiring you need to connect to the car is 12 volts and ground that will power the unit when you start the car.
    A third wire also connects to 12 volts that enables the Unisteer to function, if you want you can connect it to a switch that will turn the power steering on or off.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.