FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front brakes base kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Front brakes base kit.

I currently have the base kit front brakes. I want to upgrade them, but I want to use something that I can get at a local parts store if needed. Wilwoods that FFR sell are out.

Are these brakes mustang based? Like, if I get bigger rotors and calipers that would be an upgrade on a mustang gt from whatever year, would that work (aka, if they are 2000-2004 based, would aftermarket upgrades to those years work?). And if so, what year range and model are they from? Or am i completely off base?

My rears are already 2000-04 GT brakes so I’ll toss some slotted or drilled rotors on and call those done. I do want to upgrade to much larger drilled or slotted up from with calipers to match.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are 2004 Mustang Gt front brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look up 94-95 Cobra brakes. 13 inch rotors and dual pistons. I bought a complete set on Rock Auto pretty cheap.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Only question; what size wheels are you running?? Funny as it may sound, wheels seem to decide how BIG you can go (rotor-wise). Larger piston calipers are a good place to see some significant gains as well as multiple pistons if you have singles now.

I have 13" rotors on my MKII with 17" wheels and could probable go to 14". Fronts are the Pro Racing (PBR) Cobra calipers, rears are the late model T-Bird single piston version riding on 11.63 rotors. Car does not have power brakes and it stops very hard with that combo. If I was going to upgrade from here; larger rotors in the rear to more closely match the fronts and dual piston PBR's again.

Don't overlook more aggressive pads like the Hawk brand for street/race . . .

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s exactly the info I need! Thanks guys!

Doc, I will be running, probably, 20” wheels. I know what I want, but haven’t found exactly that yet. A 20” chrome wheel with long, thin, spindley spokes, with lots of depth in the rear. So I want some nice brakes to fill up some of that empty area but stillbe able to get parts at a local house to get rolling again if needed. Sounds like Mike’s recommendation for 94-95 13” setup will work great. I’ll have to check 03/04 cobra brake sizes also.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    Only question; what size wheels are you running?? Funny as it may sound, wheels seem to decide how BIG you can go (rotor-wise). Larger piston calipers are a good place to see some significant gains as well as multiple pistons if you have singles now.

I have 13" rotors on my MKII with 17" wheels and could probable go to 14". Fronts are the Pro Racing (PBR) Cobra calipers, rears are the late model T-Bird single piston version riding on 11.63 rotors. Car does not have power brakes and it stops very hard with that combo. If I was going to upgrade from here; larger rotors in the rear to more closely match the fronts and dual piston PBR's again.

Don't overlook more aggressive pads like the Hawk brand for street/race . . .

Doc
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a quick question. I have the 11.63 single piston 11.63" Cobra brakes on the rear. Will 15" wheels fit on the rear.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.