BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: coil over rear shocks for MK4?

Post Thanks / Like

coil over rear shocks for MK4?

I built an MK4 using the basic kit and a 1996 mustang donor. I used the stock mustang 4 link rear end, along with the mustang front springs, which I shortened, just as described in the book.
    I'm thinking about installing aftermarket mustang coil over shocks that are sold on ebay. Here's a link to the shocks I'm considering - https://www.ebay.com/itm/162805235839?ul_noapp=true I don't need the front struts so the seller agrees to sell me just the rear coilovers for $190. Yes, I realize that $190 for just the rears is kind of a lot, when you consider that they sell the front struts and rear shocks for just $250. But it's still the least expensive set I've been able to find.
    Has anyone used coilovers in place of the standard shocks and stock mustang springs? Does this work? is the shock mounting point for the shocks strong enough to support the car?
    The reason I want to use the coilovers is that it is kind of difficult to rotate the springs to set the ride height using the stock, basic kit set up.
    Thanks for any input
    Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was my car, I would bite the bullet and buy them from FFR. More than double what your paying but you know they will fit and work properly. The shocks you are looking at are designed for a much heavier car. Put an ad on here for a used set. They pop up all the time.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, get parts that fit the FFR. Either from FFR or from Breeze
    https://www.breezeautomotive.com/pro...tegory/shocks/
    I don't know what brackets FFR supplies w/ a 4 link but you may need new ones to mount coil overs.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked on the FF website, and didn't see shocks for the 4 link rear end. Shock #14675 is described as the solid axle coil over kit, but the description and picture appear to be for the front end. Maybe I'll call FF and just ask them if it will work on my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    They may have used the same picture for both parts but #14675 is what you want. It's easy for me to spend your money, but I would either get the FFR part or Breeze. The shocks and springs were specifically deigned for these cars. I have a 1990 solid axle 4 link and will be putting the FFR coil overs in. No brackets needed. I am going to coil overs for same reason as you. Easier to adjust ride height. Possibly a better ride, but won't know until they're in.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Hauser View Post
    I looked on the FF website, and didn't see shocks for the 4 link rear end. Shock #14675 is described as the solid axle coil over kit, but the description and picture appear to be for the front end. Maybe I'll call FF and just ask them if it will work on my car.

I have a used set if you are interested. PM sent.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63