Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 33 Hot Rod Power Window

Post Thanks / Like

33 Hot Rod Power Window

Slot in door for power windows

OK, I have read many of the posts for installing the power windows and understand its a PITA, but following the directions for cutting the slot you measure in .500, then out .375 giving you a slot of .875. The felted rubber seal is .950 wide with .400 clipping onto the door leaving .55 covering the slot. With both seals on each side of the slot gives a .225 overlap.Click image for larger version. Name: Sept 2018 007.JPG Views: 41 Size: 154.3 KB ID: 92762 The glass is .200 thick, if you set it up leaving .100 between the seals for the glass to go between, shouldnt the door slot be .325 wider than what it calls for?Click image for larger version. Name: Sept 2018 012.jpg Views: 45 Size: 608.3 KB ID: 92763. Am I missing something? I have run the window up and down in the "narrow" slot and the window seems to seal well against the hard top seal, so wider on the inside or out side or split the difference?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a custom setup but to start you need the weather strip on top to get the window to work against weather seal. SO i cut a temp slot and put in window to fit top then made the slot to fit window. It took a bit of work with some spacers at two bolts that hold glass to get glass to fit most of top. Do not try to get to tight or they will not work. My windows work perdy darn good! But i have the top on permanently so it all is the same, i don't how they work with on-off top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks 1932, I have the window in place and have run it up and down, moves fine and fits the hard top. I did cut the track per the manuel but it is just short, the upper stop was just flush with the top of the track, I put a small piece of angle iron over the top to act as the stop. Have read were others have had to weld a piece back on. But the issue is you remove the glass to install the weather strip that clips to the edge of the cut door slot just does not have room for the glass to pass through, they overlap by at least a 1/2 inch.Sept 2018 007.JPG. The cut slot should be much wider, but I dont think thats a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You guys are brave souls. Without a doubt. When I was exploring the question "do I really want to do this 33' thing?" at Huntington Beach in April I talked to many Wise and Talented men who offered the the glass install was the most difficult part of the whole build. Several here in our warm weather state said the wished they would have never done it. "I" purchased the glass kit on the 50% off sale BUT,,,, I may never use it. Not sure I have the skill or patience. Good on you guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its the challange that makes it interesting. As long as you are not in a hurry you can think about something that stumps you for a few days before doing anything. There are plenty of other things that you can move on to.
    Good advice for anyone building is keep a note book, when you read something on someones post that interests you, write it down where you saw it, then you can go back and find it. Wish I had done that, so many thing I read and then spend hours trying to find it again.
    I beleave I have a solution for the window molding by switching to a different molding, pictures to follow.