Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: #9344 . . . the saga begins

Post Thanks / Like

#9344 . . . the saga begins

9344 arrived on a beautiful spring day . . . with 1 day notice! Garage was prepped to receive the package. The boy is finishing freshman year in high school, so perfect time for some daddy and me time. We’ll see if we can get him into cars!

3_bring er in.JPG4_supervisor.JPG6_daddy like.JPG8_shes in - rear view.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    During a long drive home from Barrett-Jackson in CT, the boy and I designed the car.

Theme - 100% NEW, street version - comfort, performance, understated style. This will, of course, be the most expensive car I own! I hope to drive to work much of the year . . . unless man child needs for date

Deets . . .. for now:
    No scoop
    No stripes
    No roll bars . . . well removable roll bars. More to come on this!
    Hidden exhaust – under car is beyond my skill set and budget, so trying 289 FIA side pipes – satin black
    Chrome bumpers
    Wire wheels – what?!?! Yup
    Power steering
    Power brakes
    Hydraulic clutch
    Coyote engine / TKO600
    IRS
    Front and rear anti-sway
    British Racing Green – one of the lighter versions
    Black interior – camel put me too far over budget! We’ll at least do heated seats
    Wood dash

3. Thanks speedfreak1211 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Don't even try to get that silly grin off your face for weeks to come.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic! The adventure begins, and it’s great to have kids involved. Going to build school with my boys was one of the highlights of the whole experience so far. I look forward to seeing your updates on progress.

Cheers,

John
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, looks like a great build plan and I am sure you will be very happy with it. I am looking forward to seeing that wood dash, I just love how those often turn out but I also know I don't yet have the skill to pull it off to my standards by myself. You may want to look up Jazzman's build for an example of one done at a very high level. Simply beautiful in my opinion.

I think that it is very cool that you will be building it with your son. My dad and I built a shed when I was around the same age. I kind of knew it at the time, however, I did not really "get it" that my dad really just wanted to spend some quality time with me. The thing was way way overbuilt because my dad was stretching it out as much as possible and it drove me a little batty. I remember fighting with my dad about it sometimes because I wanted to go out with my friends sometimes. I am sure that is natural, and you will run into it with your son some. My unsolicited advice, if you kid is set on going out with his friends a day here or there, let him in exchange for another scheduled date. It can be hard for parents to remember, however, his reputation/social life is about all he really has. If he is worried that he is going to upset his friends and not get invited in the future, or miss something/someone big, it can be crushing to him. I know it does not seem like a big deal to us anymore, however, getting accepted and invited to things when you are in high school is the difference between being happy and feeling left out. Something to consider, see if you can get his friends interested and working on the build as well. If his friends are coming over to your place to work on it, no conflicts for him and makes him the one they are envious of. Maybe he can host a little party for his friends and show it off and eat some pizza and hang out or whatever.

Looking back to the bomb shelter shed I built with my dad, I remember the arguments and wanting to hang with my friends, but I also remember spending time with my dad and learning to do things the right way the first time. I now realize how valuable that time was and wish I had more of it. My father's heath has been an issue the past few years and I am terrified of losing him. I wish I had more projects with him and knew half of what he does. To that end, I ordered my kit back in Feb and it should be getting shipped out of the factory by Stewart Transportation today. My brother and father are both coming over one night each week to help me with the build. My cousin and his son are also going to come some weekends. I can't even begin to explain how excited I am but I am sure you understand. Enjoy the build and the father son time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Welcome! Don't even try to get that silly grin off your face for weeks to come.
    Still there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Welcome, looks like a great build plan and I am sure you will be very happy with it. I am looking forward to seeing that wood dash, I just love how those often turn out but I also know I don't yet have the skill to pull it off to my standards by myself. You may want to look up Jazzman's build for an example of one done at a very high level. Simply beautiful in my opinion.

I think that it is very cool that you will be building it with your son. My dad and I built a shed when I was around the same age. I kind of knew it at the time, however, I did not really "get it" that my dad really just wanted to spend some quality time with me. The thing was way way overbuilt because my dad was stretching it out as much as possible and it drove me a little batty. I remember fighting with my dad about it sometimes because I wanted to go out with my friends sometimes. I am sure that is natural, and you will run into it with your son some. My unsolicited advice, if you kid is set on going out with his friends a day here or there, let him in exchange for another scheduled date. It can be hard for parents to remember, however, his reputation/social life is about all he really has. If he is worried that he is going to upset his friends and not get invited in the future, or miss something/someone big, it can be crushing to him. I know it does not seem like a big deal to us anymore, however, getting accepted and invited to things when you are in high school is the difference between being happy and feeling left out. Something to consider, see if you can get his friends interested and working on the build as well. If his friends are coming over to your place to work on it, no conflicts for him and makes him the one they are envious of. Maybe he can host a little party for his friends and show it off and eat some pizza and hang out or whatever.

Looking back to the bomb shelter shed I built with my dad, I remember the arguments and wanting to hang with my friends, but I also remember spending time with my dad and learning to do things the right way the first time. I now realize how valuable that time was and wish I had more of it. My father's heath has been an issue the past few years and I am terrified of losing him. I wish I had more projects with him and knew half of what he does. To that end, I ordered my kit back in Feb and it should be getting shipped out of the factory by Stewart Transportation today. My brother and father are both coming over one night each week to help me with the build. My cousin and his son are also going to come some weekends. I can't even begin to explain how excited I am but I am sure you understand. Enjoy the build and the father son time.
    Congrats on the build! Sounds like you will have just the kind of help you need.

I completely agree with that balance. Just as I need to be sure I balance build time with time with the wife, I have been balancing the build with the boy's social life . . . what there is of it . . . LOL. I think the lack of pressure is helping him stay engaged. Me: "If you want to go do that, no worries . . . I'm just going to complete the next step of the build." He: "No . . . I want to be there. I'll be back in an hour."

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what has happened so far . . .

PLANNING
    Organize garage / tools - Summer / Fall 2017
    Research FFR options and engine choice - Winter 2017/2018
    Order initiated with FFR online - February 08, 2018
    Quote finalized - February 23, 2018
    Order placed - February 25, 2018

PRE-PREP WORK
    Garage cleaned - April 14, 2018
    1_before - front view.JPG

Kit packed at FFR - April 21, 2018
    Loaded on Stewart Transport at FFR - May 08, 2018
    9344 arrived at my place! - Wednesday, May 09, 2018
    Certificate of Origin issued - May 12, 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Prep work

Parts inventory and tally for Missing In Kit (MIK) order - May 19-20, 2018
    also marked extra parts for "known extra parts" box

Box 1.jpg
    Box 1 !!!

Seat test.jpg
    First drive

Chassis dolly build - May 28, 2018
    Went pretty simple on this one . . .
    3/4" 4' x 8' sheet of plywood cut in half and bolted onto 4 Harbor Freight movers dollies and covered with moving blankets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds fun!!! Great build! Enjoy!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you guys will have a blast! Your son sounds like mine. "Yeah, that looks great. Call me when its done"....

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy the build. I received mine a month ago and enjoying every minute of it, even worked on it with my son before he left for the Marine Corps. I like your build plans and looking forward to seeing some photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like an interesting build plan. I'm sure it'll be awesome and a little different than the standard build. Love the picture of your first test drive. I saw that and I was thinking...how did they get to that phase so fast. LOL
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    So I had the opportunity to add garage space onto our house a few years ago. Given my car addiction, I have 5 bays and now 7 cars with the Roadster. Thanks to 2 lifts, I have room for the roadster, but not separated chassis and body, so we go up . . .

I bought a 200lbs capacity hoist. Built the body frame as light as possible so I think with body (no doors/hood/trunk) we’re right at 200lbs.

Plan to get it up and out of the way this weekend . . . fingers crossed!

Finished product.JPG

It ain't that heavy.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Prettiest lamp EVER

Well, she made it up to the ceiling. I left the knot tying to the boy as he is a Boy Scout. We'll see where the body is tomorrow morning! Just need to remove the aluminum panels from the chassis and I can actually start building.

Heads up.JPG
    Heads up!

Prettiest lamp EVER.JPG
    Prettiest lamp EVER

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jonburke12 View Post
    Well, she made it up to the ceiling. I left the knot tying to the boy as he is a Boy Scout. We'll see where the body is tomorrow morning! Just need to remove the aluminum panels from the chassis and I can actually start building.

Heads up.JPG
    Heads up!

Prettiest lamp EVER.JPG
    Prettiest lamp EVER

Nice having that much headroom in the garage ... my body on the buck barely clears the garage door, and there's no room above the door to do what you're doing. Very nice!

Yup, nice lampshade. Could come in handy for other uses
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope Father's Day was great for all you dads.

We're getting close to actual forward progress! Chassis is bare and only about 10 parts left on the POL.

Panels off.jpg
    Panels coming off

There will be some slowing of progress as I have some weekend trips over the next few weeks . . . Barrett-Jackson in CT later this week and GTOAA National Convention in PA next week. Car fever! There will be a family vacation in there as well to the Outer Banks of NC. By mid July, I should be full steam ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 3 begins

I can't believe it's been a month since I last worked on the build. The boy and I were able to meet some of the FFR guys at Barrett-Jackson in CT in late June . . . thanked Tony for spending weeks with me as I was building my order. The following week, the girl and I were at the GTOAA Nationals . . . won 2nd place people's choice and met Arnie Beswick

GTOAA 2018.jpg Jon and Arnie.jpg

Now that we are back from vacation in the Outer Banks of NC, it was time to resume the build . . . starting Chapter 3.

F panels cleaned up with Scotch-Brite grey ultra-fine to give me as close to "natural" as possible without polishing or looking brushed. Sealed with Sharkhide then attached.

F panel BEFORE.JPG After F panel AFTER.JPG Before

Then front suspension. R lower control arm fit easy and needed rear AND front spacers. L I needed to beat in with a hammer . . . minor FFR quality control issues.

Spacers rear AND front.JPG

Used APR Ultra-Torque on bolts to prevent corrosion and galling. Next up . . . shocks and spindles . . .

Post Thanks / Like

IFS completed

Slowly making progress . . . front suspension competed and sway bar installed

Front suspension.JPG IFS complete with sway bar .JPG IFS complete with sway bar 2.JPG

Gathered all parts for powder / ceramic coating as well. 49 pieces total . . . big (side pipes) to small (Coyote engine mount parts)

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Slow & Steady Will Win The Race!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've missed this build thread until just now. Congrats! I'll keep following along and good luck

Jeff

PS: Digging the '64!

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed a Allentown license plate frame under your work bench. Do you live in the Lehigh Valley? My son and I are down in Harleysville, PA building a MKIV (Coyote).

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the late reply! We are in the LV . . . Bethlehem. How far along are you in your build?

Post Thanks / Like

Irs

So here we are a month later . . . busy summer, but moving into some open weekends for full build days!

Parts are back from powder coating and look great.

Cut and drilled the IRS spindles and diff. then more Sharkhide

IRS_Spindle work .JPG IRS_cut and drilled.JPG

Sliding pumpkin into place. Upper and lower arms are in now, too. Note the official Cobra build day shirts

IRS_pumpkin in.JPG

Next we need to fit the spindles into the arms. It's gonna be a tight fit!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another great build day yesterday . . . rear sway bar installed and IRS almost complete. Lots of time and effort to get parts to fit.

Next weekend rear shocks and rear brakes. With these larger parts, it's nice to see the # of boxes decrease!