Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Remote oil filter - oil flow question

Post Thanks / Like

Remote oil filter - oil flow question

I will be using a remote oil filter as well as an oil cooler. It was my understanding that the oil will leave the engine block, travel through the oil filter, out the oil filter to the oil cooler, and finally out the oil cooler back into the engine. The picture below depicts that route.

When I received some parts, the instructions showed the oil flow with the filter after the oil cooler. Now I'm confused as that makes more sense to me as the oil is filtered prior to circulating back into the engine.

What do you guys think?
    Would there be a pressure issue either way?

build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had a little experience with this... I've always gone with the filter before the cooler... this will insure that you are only putting filtered oil into the cooler. Could prevent build up of stuff thus decreasing the available flow of the cooler. Also, if you have a thermostat valve, you would want to go engine -> Filter-> Thermostat valve... if you did not do this, you would not filter the oil until it was up to temp.... Hope this helps and makes sense... Bottom line IMO, it is always best to filter before cool...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I would chime in to address the concern over the issue of oil not being filtered if the temp isn't hot enough. The way the oil thermostatic valve is designed, oil flows into the unit and if not up to temp, it flows out of the valve and resumes the flow through they system. As shown in the diagram above, the oil would leave the valve and route through the filter and back to the engine.

On the other hand, if the temp is hot enough, when the oil flows into the thermostatic valve, the valve opens up, and allows the oil to flow through the oil cooler and back through the valve, before being routed back to the filter and into the engine.

In other words, the oil will be filtered regardless of temperature, and the diagram provided above is correct. Now, if you are concerned about the oil being filtered before going through the cooler, that's a separate issue. I just wanted to correct the possible confusion regarding oil flow with the presence of the thermostatic valve.

I hope I have helped!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    I thought I would chime in to address the concern over the issue of oil not being filtered if the temp isn't hot enough. The way the oil thermostatic valve is designed, oil flows into the unit and if not up to temp, it flows out of the valve and resumes the flow through they system. As shown in the diagram above, the oil would leave the valve and route through the filter and back to the engine.

On the other hand, if the temp is hot enough, when the oil flows into the thermostatic valve, the valve opens up, and allows the oil to flow through the oil cooler and back through the valve, before being routed back to the filter and into the engine.

In other words, the oil will be filtered regardless of temperature, and the diagram provided above is correct. Now, if you are concerned about the oil being filtered before going through the cooler, that's a separate issue. I just wanted to correct the possible confusion regarding oil flow with the presence of the thermostatic valve.

I hope I have helped!

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks for the clarification Steve... Carl

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info guys. I will not be using the thermostat valve. That diagram just through me off. So far it seems the best way is to filter the oil before the oil cooler like in the first picture. One of the reasons I've gathered is to not let the oil cooler get contaminated which could impede the flow of oil.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

6. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post