BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: The Cost of Car part's and Time.

Post Thanks / Like

The Cost of Car part's and Time.

Kiwi Ordering from the US
    I am in the process of waiting for some parts from the North East US and thought I would document the experience for those of us down under with great expectations of the world we live in.
    It all started in July 18 when I discovered that some of my donor parts were not going to fit because of the RHD thing we have down here.
    I made my decision to change to Wilwood pedal box & pedals as the OEM pedal box does not fit easily.
    After discussions with a supplier and explaining the joys of RHD assembly I awaited a quote which in reality took a couple of weeks I discovered that email was not the suppliers strong point and direct telephone was best method of contact. Being down under we are a day ahead of East Coast US. which means setting my alarm for 2:00 or 3:00 am to call or try & make the call at 7:30/8:00 am when the household is in kaos when everyone else is of to work or school. I am a night owl and don't do early mornings well.
    Anyway finally got things sorted and received a quote to back up conversations.
    The parts cost $1100us which translates to $1800nz that was 30th Aug 2018.
    Parts were Fedex to My Youshop NZ Post address in Portland, Oregon. and received on 8th Sept 2018.
    Received a confirmation email from NZ Post Youshop that parcel had been received and is being processed.
    Costs to carry to New Zealand:

Parcel description: Tools & Home Improvements
    Parcel value: USD$1,136.00
    International postage 5-9 days: NZD$174.00
    High Value surcharge: NZD$6.00

Total payment made: NZD$180.00

On 9th September 2018 email advising payment received and parcel on its way.
    14th Sept 2018 email advising parcel had arrived in New Zealand
    19th Sept 2018 email advising parcel is being held a NZ Customs Border please advise a custom's broker to handle import of parcel.
    24th Sept 2018 contacted NZ Post as nothing further heard. Advised parcel was being processed.
    01 October 2018 12:00 noon Received invoice from Custom's Broker as outlined below.

DESCRIPTION GST IN NZD CHARGES IN NZD
    CUSTOMS CLEARANCE PARCEL POST IMPORT 15%=6.00 40.00
    CUSTOMS IMPORT TRANSACTION FEE 15%=6.87 45.80
    Entry Fee 45.80 + GST 6.87
    CUSTOMS GST Zero Rated 294.75
    SUBTOTAL 380.55
    ADD GST 12.87
    TOTAL NZD 393.42

01 October 2018 17:00hrs (5:00pm) advised payment received. Parcel released for delivery to NZ Courierpost.
    Should see parcel Tuesday 2nd October or Wednesday.
    Total cost for parts, including delivered from Eastcoast US to my Home in New Zealand $2,373.42NZ or on current exchange rate $1,540.00US
    Kiwi's need to be careful when dicussing projects, costs and expectations as our expectations very often cannot be met by US manufacturers and courier services are not the same as ours down under. We can get overnight deliveries from Singapore, HonKong and most Eastcoast Australian cities.
    There's nothing wrong with high expectations reality does not always measure up.
    I am waiting excitedly for my parcel so I can move my Roadster closer to completion.
    Order Placed March '17, Delivered New Zealand July '17.
    FFR Roadster Mk4 #9123 RHD Basic Kit
    2004 SVT 4.6L Cobra Terminator, Tremec T56, 2015 IRS, 17" Halibrand with Nitto
    Flaming River RHD pwr rack, Hydroboost, ABS plus Willwood 6 pot front, 4 Pot Rear.
    Soft Top, Heater & wipers etc.
    "Don't Let the grin wear thin" Kiwi's can Fly

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I’ll never complain about waiting a couple of days for parts again. Hope the rest of your build goes smoothly.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

3. Likes BLUCOBKIWI liked this post