Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Holley Sniper EFI Wiring Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Holley Sniper EFI Wiring Issue

I have a Holley Sniper EFI and was about to do the initial power up to begin the calibration wizard using the Sniper EFI touch screen. But after turning the key to the run position, the LCD touch screen failed to power up, indicating I didn't wire the Sniper EFI properly.

I suspect it was how I wired the switched ignition wire (the pink wire on the Holley Sniper). Looking for some feedback from those with Holley Snipers as to where I screwed up. I'm not using a CD box. My engine is a Blueprint 306.

Here's how I wired mine:

Pink wire - spliced to the light blue EFI crank power wire from the ignition switch

Red wire (battery positive)- Connected to battery positive terminal

Black wire - (battery negative) - Connected to battery negative terminal

Blue wire (fuel pump output +) - Connected to the fuel pump

Yellow wire (coil input -) - Connected to the coil negative input

Dark green wire (crank signal negative) - not used

Violet wire (crank signal positive) - not used

Thanks for the help.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure your Pink wire is connected to 12v when key is ON and in Crank. You should always have 12v to it when key is ON or in Start mode.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I think weendoggy's pegged it. On my Sniper installation I pulled my 12-volt power (Sniper pink wire) from the circuit in my Painless wiring harness that was originally intended for the electric choke on a carb application. I verified that the circuit had 12 volts during cranking ('Start' ignition switch position) as well as during run ('On' ignition switch position).

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. The Ron Francis Light Blue EFI Crank wire only provides +12V when the ignition is in START.

The Ron Francis Orange EFI/Coil wire provides +12V at both START and RUN. If you're using this wire to power your coil, then you have to find another source (like the Electric Choke wire Jim describes).

Cheers,

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Yup. The Ron Francis Light Blue EFI Crank wire only provides +12V when the ignition is in START.

The Ron Francis Orange EFI/Coil wire provides +12V at both START and RUN. If you're using this wire to power your coil, then you have to find another source (like the Electric Choke wire Jim describes).

Cheers

John
    That's likely it. I'll splice the pink EFI switched ignition to the Ron Francis Orange EFI/coil wire and give it a shot.

Thanks a bunch.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also temporarily attach the pink "12V activation" wire to the positive side of the battery to get power to it, and turn it on. Obviously this would only be temporary to make sure that your unit itself is working properly or if your questioning your Crank/run source.

This is what most "muscle car" type install would do, and just activate it with a literal toggle switch, or put it on something like a former 12V choke wire if avail.

Pretty familiar with these units, and we retail them direct also if we can ever help! especially since you're rocking a BluePrint 306
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePrintEngines View Post
    You can also temporarily attach the pink "12V activation" wire to the positive side of the battery to get power to it, and turn it on. Obviously this would only be temporary to make sure that your unit itself is working properly or if your questioning your Crank/run source.

This is what most "muscle car" type install would do, and just activate it with a literal toggle switch, or put it on something like a former 12V choke wire if avail.

Pretty familiar with these units, and we retail them direct also if we can ever help! especially since you're rocking a BluePrint 306
    Thanks. The toggle switch is definately something to think about.