Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Has anyone mounted the engine intake in the normal orientation facing forward?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone mounted the engine intake in the normal orientation facing forward?

Is there a pulley option that allows you to mount the engine intake facing forward instead of reversed? I have a couple of reasons for wanting to do this...
    Would require getting rid of the front upper FFR pulley, not sure if that's an option? I am running the CTS-V alternator way down low as well. Thanks!
    Dave
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    This is basically my setup, but no AC compressor (not that it would matter).

[IMG]https://www.ffcars.com/photopost/dat...lt_routing.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by beeman; 10-01-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say the only issue would be how to drive the waterpump since that's the only reason for the high mounted tensioner pulley. Swap to an electric waterpump and either make a slotted mounting bracket for your alternator so you can adjust belt tension manually and lock it down like old-school stuff....or figure out a mounting bracket to mount the spring loaded belt tensioner down by the alternator since that would be your only belt driven accessory?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    We do run the intake in the "normal" position on the FFR PDG GTM race car, but we have significantly changed the firewall area to meet requirements of the sanctioning bodies for safety, which had the side effect of allowing much more room up front. I don't see how it would work with the stock setup unless you started changing sheet metal and possibly some bars.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I am willing to change some bars if I need to. Would rather not go to an electric water pump as I anticipate extended sessions of high RPM driving on the track.
    Looking at this, is the only reason FFR relocated the upper pulley to the new location on their steel bracket because the water pump fitting has to be rotated to clear the frame, which places the fitting where the serpentine belt would typically run? So maybe simply moving the small frame member that interferes with the stock water pump orientation is the best solution? I'd probably upgrade to the LS3 water pump as well since I'd be modifying the frame anyways. Only downside to this would be having to fabricate a new waterfall cover, but that's relatively simple.
    Crash do you have a picture of your engine from the cabin?
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    This is about as good as I got...GTM 2012 6.JPG

The thing is, since the driver was moved to the middle, there is much more room in the foot box between the suspension arms so the driver could be moved forward. I don't think you could really do this and leave it as a two person car.

Here is one where you can see how it sits with a cold air box...z0044.jpg

We use a "cobra head" type of duct to get everything to fit and turn the intake duct 180 degrees.
    Last edited by crash; 10-02-2018 at 12:46 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    This is how one builder is doing it on a non GTM build.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I'll take a look at the frame and see what options there are.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    If you need an LS3 water pump, I have one that is brand new with my crate motor that I will not be using.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    If you need an LS3 water pump, I have one that is brand new with my crate motor that I will not be using.
    Thanks, Sean, I appreciate that! My engine as supplied by Lingenfelter had the LS3 pump as well, they swapped it out at no cost to me, if I can use the LS3 pump I'll see if they still have one laying around. If not, I'll message you.
    Life is crazy busy right now, hoping to get out there soon and make some progress.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Thanks, Sean, I appreciate that! My engine as supplied by Lingenfelter had the LS3 pump as well, they swapped it out at no cost to me, if I can use the LS3 pump I'll see if they still have one laying around. If not, I'll message you.
    Life is crazy busy right now, hoping to get out there soon and make some progress.
    Sounds good Dave. I'm in no rush to offload it and would rather it go to a fellow builder than throwing it up on eBay. Let me know.