FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Tire Selection for 20th Anv 18" wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Tire Selection for 20th Anv 18" wheels

I've been looking for tires... If I'm reading all this correctly, I should be getting 315/30 18s rear and 255/35 18s front. My problem is that I'm having a hard time finding both of these sizes in the same make/model of tire... This is a LINK to the tire rack page showing all the options they offer for tires in those two sizes in matching make/model tires that Tire Rack offers. I know there has to be other, better options out there...

Can anyone help me out with there ideas. I'm planning to have my car on normal streets and highways nearly 95% of the time.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm a big fan of NITTO 555 series, including the drag radials, and had several sets on my beloved 1995 C-4 that I just sold to a friend, but I must admit that the power to weight ratios that these cars have makes them spin easier than I had expected.

Beloved C-4
    https://youtu.be/svZX2BMSDEs

1/2 Throttle Tire Spinning MK-4
    https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

The C-4 could light them up, but nothing like the Go-Dad-Go Kart.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-01-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a pretty good thread about it.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...d-style-wheels
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I'm a big fan of NITTO 555 series, including the drag radials, ......
    Chiming in as I am having a similar problem in finding tires for the '33. The 555 is a good example of the issue the OP is talking about. With only 6 18 inch sizes to choose from, the narrowest is 285, there is no 315, etc.... There is a slightly better selection for the Nitto NT01.

I'm also looking at the Yoko Advan A052 and the BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a very good choice is the Goodrich Rival- 315 rear, 275 front.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Go wider in the front. 275/315 is a nice combination.

If that doesn't work for you find the rears that you like and see what's offered in the same tire for potential front sizes. Depending on your driving style or expectations +/- one size on front width shouldn't make that much difference.

The Rivals are getting great reviews. I like Michelin PS2s and Goodyear GS-D3s. Ran both on Cobras. The PS2s are better on the track, GS-D3s are the best rain tire I've ever run; I tend to get wet and don't like to slow down.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone... so I think I'm down to two options...

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Max Performance in 315/30 and 255/35 x 18 $1244 total (tires only)

or

YOKOHAMA ADVAN A052 in the same sizes... $1480 total (tires only)

thoughts on these two options....
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 10-01-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Thanks everyone... so I think I'm down to two options...

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Max Performance in 315/30 and 255/35 x 18 $1244 total (tires only)

or

YOKOHAMA ADVAN A052 in the same sizes... $1480 total (tires only)

thoughts on these two options....
    So I pulled the trigger on the Michelin Pilot SPort PS2 Max Performance choice... and my prices above were backwards so whoooopppp there goes another $1480...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    So I pulled the trigger on the Michelin Pilot SPort PS2 Max Performance choice... and my prices above were backwards so whoooopppp there goes another $1480...
    Hey at least you can get like 5000 miles out of them before buying more! lol
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    So the decision on the Michelin tires was based on a few things. First was the fact that I could get the front and rears in the sizes prefered in the same make/model tire. They have a slightly harder rubber and they start at 9/32" of tread whereas the Yokohama's started at only 6/32". Since I would say that 98% of my driving will be on the highway and back country roads, I think the more street based tire was right for me. Also should the day come where I'm stuck in some rain driving, they have a tread pattern that is much better than the track/performance tire options. They also claim to have a 20,000 mile warranty, so we will see... I don't think I'll get that on the rear tires...

mi_pilot_sport_ps2_pdpcrop.jpg

11. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'll like the PS2s. Your thoughts on rain are valid. They are great all around tires and most likely my selection for the current build.

While as I indicated I really like the Goodyears, I ran the PS2s in 275&335 sizes from Colorado to Michigan in the rain a few years ago. Two days in the rain, I was real wet. The tires worked well.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Michelins on my 20th anniv. And they are great. I've always had great success with these on other cars (Beamer M5, Camaro) and I had to wait a long time to get mine. The Porsche production consumed their entire production runs. That alone tells you something good about them. It is worth the wait, you won't be disappointed. Good choice, Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobCarter View Post
    I have the Michelins on my 20th anniv. And they are great. I've always had great success with these on other cars (Beamer M5, Camaro) and I had to wait a long time to get mine. The Porsche production consumed their entire production runs. That alone tells you something good about them. It is worth the wait, you won't be disappointed. Good choice, Good Luck!
    Mine will be here on Monday via FedEx.... bought them through Walmart... coming from BestWheelsOnline dot com.... I'm pretty excited about them. Thanks for the information. I'm sure I will be happy with them.
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had 2 sets on my car, and both were great. The first set in 2004 were Pilot Sports and the second set PSll, The car has 35,000 miles on it now and the second set are now worn out. Mine are 17's and different sizes from yours but it gives you an idea of how long they will last. The backs are fully worn out and there is still good tread on the fronts but due to age I will replace all of them. We do lots of highway miles and spirited driving but no burn outs.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect you will be happy w/ those. Lots of people get all excited about dry grip and want the max. Our first experience w/ max perf summer tires was my wife's 2015 Mustang GT w/ performance package. Bought it in April. Around Sept she asked if she should be feeling like she didn't have any traction. I perked up quickly and said what? Turns out those max perf summer tires crapped out if the ambient was <50F. By October we had new tires on the car. Killed me trashing tires w/ 50% tread but I drove the car one weekend after she raised the question and ordered tires on Sunday. They were that bad. You made a good move.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

17. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post