Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cold storage of body

Post Thanks / Like

Cold storage of body

Not that kind of body, I know its getting close to Halloween but c'mon. I am thinking of storing my MKIV roadster body outside in a snow proof enclosed canopy this winter to free up a little more shop space. Michigan winters can get pretty frosty, just wondering if anyone has any input on doing this. Being fiberglass and out of the elements except the cold I think it should suffer no I'll effects, but of course there could be something I am overlooking. I welcome any and all comments.
    MkIV Complete Kit #9423, Gen 3 Coyote, TKO-600, IRS Torsen 3.73, Wilwoods, DA Konis - Delivered 9/14/18

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to do the same but trying to hang it from the garage ceiling first.
    Jim in GR

Post Thanks / Like
    Won't hurt a thing. Storing outside during a hot summer will help it.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    The cold should not be an issue at all. Nothing special about the painting process that helps it hold up to the cold.
    Gen III Type 65 Coupe Delivered 6/26/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Stored mine outside under a tarp. The winters get -25C or about 15 below 0 F. Braced it well and removed the snow load often. No harm done.

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be fine. FFR doesn't bring them inside when it gets cold

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    There you have it and I agree. Cold is no prob. The only time I have seen damage from storing outside was a body that ended up with 3ft of snow on it. Didn't kill it but it caused a few cracks.....well, then there was the bear story but you weren't asking about bears...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    There you have it and I agree. Cold is no prob. The only time I have seen damage from storing outside was a body that ended up with 3ft of snow on it. Didn't kill it but it caused a few cracks.....well, then there was the bear story but you weren't asking about bears...da Bat
    Well... you can't leave it like that. Now I am asking, don't bears know to not step on cobras?
    Gen III Type 65 Coupe Delivered 6/26/2018

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    We get more snow here than Anchorage Alaska and we are one of the top cities for number of freeze / thaw cycles and I left my body outside as much as possible. Of course I didn't let snow pile up on it but it never got babied either.

Like Mike in ATL said, the heat and sunlight will help you in the long run as the fiberglass will move on you as it cures and it's better to have it move before you do the final fit. So don't fret about leaving it outside all winter just don't let the bears get to it and brush the snow off occasionally so it doesn't pile up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on the subject of the sun helping cure the fibreglass. I put all the body parts out in the sun and my drivers door went through two big shape shifting moves. It first developed a crease diagonally from the front top to the rear bottom about 4 inches wide and 1/2 inch deep at the most. A day later it shaped shifted back to almost normal. Still had to deal with the well documented fit issues but it hasn't moved again.

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the newer sticky tires have a warning about low temps. From memory, it seems, below 30 or 40 degrees was a no-no, with the risk of cracking. I am sure there was a no driving in the same low temps.
    Not a threat to your body, but some might overlook this issue.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I stored my body in the shed for a few years IMG_20180513_114141.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies, feel much more comfortable with my plan.
    MkIV Complete Kit #9423, Gen 3 Coyote, TKO-600, IRS Torsen 3.73, Wilwoods, DA Konis - Delivered 9/14/18