Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil Leak

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Leak

ok guys so the motor is coming out of the car at the end of the season and I'm going to get the oil leak addressed. A little background on what has been done so far. The oil pan gasket is new and not leaking replaced it when we went to a standard volume oil pump. The intake gasket is new and sealed properly at the corners it was changed out when we went from FI to a carb. The leak is still there and bad looks like it's coming from the rear main.

As long as the motor is coming out of the car we plan on doing the rear main seal, and sleeve it. The flywheel bolts making sure they are sealed.....Any other areas we should look at to make sure we get the leak?

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to me you have it pretty much covered. My suggestion would be once the engine is out and on the stand. Take a couple of hours and really look it over closely. Maybe you will see something that you missed in the car. Otherwise, think to yourself about the entire oil system and where oil is in the engine. Where is it under pressure and where is it just splashing? Only one other spot I can think of and that is the joint where the rear main cap joins the block. I have a 351 but I think this applies to 302s also. You usually need a thin smear of rtv on that joint surface.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Seems to me you have it pretty much covered. My suggestion would be once the engine is out and on the stand. Take a couple of hours and really look it over closely. Maybe you will see something that you missed in the car. Otherwise, think to yourself about the entire oil system and where oil is in the engine. Where is it under pressure and where is it just splashing? Only one other spot I can think of and that is the joint where the rear main cap joins the block. I have a 351 but I think this applies to 302s also. You usually need a thin smear of rtv on that joint surface.
    thanks Craig I will definitely look at that too...it runs great with the carb, seemed silly to go from FI to a carb but Mark Dougherty aka The Traveling Builder tells me it happens very often