BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Wiring

Good news, I got most of the gauges wired. I lack the tach signal to the Gen I Coyote engine. If someone can advise me on the procedure of tapping into the COP harness, it would be appreciated.

I also need to help on wiring for the fan. As I understand my instructions, I cut the blue wire on the back of the RF fuse relay panel and connect an orange wire from the power distribution box. This eliminates the RF fuse and relay and lets the Ford power distribution box control the fan. I can find everything except the orange wire that connects to the blue wire on the RF panel. Gen I Coyote, harness and RF MK IV harness.

It sounds like, if I cannot figure this out, the RF relay and fuse will feed the Ford harness and its relay will feed the fan.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm Gen 2, so can't help other than to bump this thread up.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jdav.
    I got the tach hooked up. I read that the Gen I does not need to pick a signal off the COP. The signal comes from the ECU into the RF harness to the purple wire, easy tap.

I am working out of the Roadster Coyote Engine installation instructions Rev T. The instructions for using the fuse panel precedes the instruction for using the Ford ECU and states " At the top of the foot box area, find the chassis harness orange fan wire in the dash harness plug. Cut the wire out of the plug."
    I went through the plugs and harness today and found nothing. No orange wires. Wiring Bypassing the Fuse Panel. Locate the blue wire going into the harness on the opposite side of the cooling fan fuse from the blue wire coming from the fan relay. Cut the blue wire and solder it to the orange wire. Remove the fan relay and fan fuse."
    So I go to the schematic in the Chassis Wiring Harness manual Rev N Sept 2014. No orange wires show in the schematic. The instructions for by passing the fuse panel state, " Cut the short red looped wire that goes between the fan replay pins close to the left red wire connector it jumps from and connect the computer fan power wire to the red relay wire going to the bottom pin. This will make the computer control the relay. Ground one of the thermostat switch green wires."

Any advise on who to contact on this? I guess I will start with FFR and then Ron Francis and then I will put the fan on a toggle switch. I know I am going to feel dumb when someone solves this for me, but until then....
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've avoided answering because like Jdav my experience is with the Gen 2, and now the Gen 3 in my Coupe build. But couple of comments FWIW. You obviously have the tach problem solved. The Gen 1 control pack does have a direct tach connection, so no need to break into the COP wiring like on later generations. I asked Ford about this. Their response was that starting in 2015, the Coyote PCM didn't have an aftermarket usable tach signal. I trust this is the right information. But still surprised they don't at least mention it in the instructions. But that's off topic...

For your cooling fan question, it can get a little confusing (to say the least) with the different generations of Coyotes and now as well you're dealing with different versions of RF harnesses and FF instructions. RF specifically has made some changes in the way the cooling fan is wired and controlled in their harness. You're seeing this. But IMO, it's over-complicating the situation. Bottom line, you don't need the RF harness for the cooling fan with your Coyote. That's what I've found with my later installations. I've just looked at multiple Gen 1 build threads and Gen 1 control pack instructions and feel 99% confident making this suggestion. The Coyote control packs, including the Gen 1, have the necessary relay, fuse and wires to directly connect to your cooling fan. Factory Five does show in all their instructions the option to wire through the RF cooling fan circuit. But I don't know why you would want to have double relays and fuses. Some cite access to the PDB. But it has multiple fuses and relays (not just cooling) so it needs to be reachable somehow. So that's recommendation #1. Wire the control pack fan wires directly to your cooling fan.

What's a little interesting, and maybe adds to the confusion, is Ford apparently changed the Gen 1 control pack to have a Power Distribution Unit (PDB) and harness similar to the Gen 2 and Gen 3. These instructions show the original PDB for the Gen 1 and is shown in multiple build threads on the forum: http://latemodel.cachefly.net/downlo...6017A504VA.pdf. The Ford Performance website instructions show the newer style PDB and harness: https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...017-A504VB.PDF. Not sure which one you have but in either case: (1) Follow the instructions from Ford for hooking up your version PDB, (2) Use the wires in the indicated control pack harness fan wires to go directly to the fan, (3) Don't get lost in the various RF and FF schematics and instructions. I know, easy to say...

If you keep it simple, it really is this simple. Some guys want to add a manual override. Then the RF harness comes into play. If you have AC with a trinary switch it gets more complicated. Doing that now with the Coupe. But for straight up Coyote PCM control of the cooling fan, wire direct and you're done. I have #8674 wired this way (Gen 2, but it's the same idea) and it works perfectly. I keep my eye on the water temp gauge and it's never let me down. The rest of the engine is being controlled by the computer without any help from me. Might as well let it control the cooling fan as well.

One last comment which I hope doesn't confuse the issue. I don't know how long the cooling fan power wire is for your control pack. It may not reach the cooling fan. Here you have two options: (1) Extend the wire to reach and you're done. (2) Use the RF harness wires to reach the cooling fan since they're already there. Much like is done when wiring the fuel pump. Again, hope this isn't confusing things. These is where the FF instructions are leading when it shows breaking into the harness but still using the computer control. You can find the cooling fan +12V wire in the front harness, cut it, and then splice the Coyote cooling fan wire to it. Results in the computer still powering and controlling the fan, the RF fan circuit and relay/fuse setup is not used, and just using the RF wires to reach the fan. Don't get lost in what color wire that would be because it's likely changed between versions. Look at the marked fan wires coming out of the front of the harness by the fan, and trace that color back to the front harness connectors in the footbox. You only need the +12V wire. You can use the RF ground wire. Or the control pack fan ground wire if there is one. Or just ground the fan directly to the chassis at its location. All do the same.

Good luck and hope this long winded explanation makes sense and helps.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-06-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I've avoided answering because like Jdav my experience is with the Gen 2, and now the Gen 3 in my Coupe build. But couple of comments FWIW. You obviously have the tach problem solved. The Gen 1 control pack does have a direct tach connection, so no need to break into the COP wiring like on later generations. I asked Ford about this. Their response was that starting in 2015, the Coyote PCM didn't have an aftermarket usable tach signal. I trust this is the right information. But still surprised they don't at least mention it in the instructions. But that's off topic...
    I think I read in one of your post about the Gen I having the tach pulse signal available from the ECU, thanks.
    For your cooling fan question, it can get a little confusing (to say the least) with the different generations of Coyotes and now as well you're dealing with different versions of RF harnesses and FF instructions. RF specifically has made some changes in the way the cooling fan is wired and controlled in their harness. You're seeing this. But IMO, it's over-complicating the situation. Bottom line, you don't need the RF harness for the cooling fan with your Coyote. That's what I've found with my later installations. I've just looked at multiple Gen 1 build threads and Gen 1 control pack instructions and feel 99% confident making this suggestion. The Coyote control packs, including the Gen 1, have the necessary relay, fuse and wires to directly connect to your cooling fan. Factory Five does show in all their instructions the option to wire through the RF cooling fan circuit. But I don't know why you would want to have double relays and fuses. Some cite access to the PDB. But it has multiple fuses and relays (not just cooling) so it needs to be reachable somehow. So that's recommendation #1. Wire the control pack fan wires directly to your cooling fan. My Ford engine control instructions are the A504V. It is pretty clean and everything hooked up per the instructions.

What's a little interesting, and maybe adds to the confusion, is Ford apparently changed the Gen 1 control pack to have a Power Distribution Unit (PDB) and harness similar to the Gen 2 and Gen 3. These instructions show the original PDB for the Gen 1 and is shown in multiple build threads on the forum: http://latemodel.cachefly.net/downlo...6017A504VA.pdf. The Ford Performance website instructions show the newer style PDB and harness: https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...017-A504VB.PDF. Not sure which one you have but in either case: (1) Follow the instructions from Ford for hooking up your version PDB, (2) Use the wires in the indicated control pack harness fan wires to go directly to the fan, (3) Don't get lost in the various RF and FF schematics and instructions. I know, easy to say...

If you keep it simple, it really is this simple. Some guys want to add a manual override. Then the RF harness comes into play. If you have AC with a trinary switch it gets more complicated. Doing that now with the Coupe. But for straight up Coyote PCM control of the cooling fan, wire direct and you're done. I have #8674 wired this way (Gen 2, but it's the same idea) and it works perfectly. I keep my eye on the water temp gauge and it's never let me down. The rest of the engine is being controlled by the computer without any help from me. Might as well let it control the cooling fan as well.
    No A/C and I want to ignore a lot of the RF instuctions, but a little uneasy about the fan not functioning. From other's post, it seems the fan energizes pretty soon after start up. When I get to the start up, it will be one of the many things, I will be monitoring.

One last comment which I hope doesn't confuse the issue. I don't know how long the cooling fan power wire is for your control pack. It may not reach the cooling fan. Here you have two options: (1) Extend the wire to reach and you're done. (2) Use the RF harness wires to reach the cooling fan since they're already there. Much like is done when wiring the fuel pump. Again, hope this isn't confusing things. These is where the FF instructions are leading when it shows breaking into the harness but still using the computer control. You can find the cooling fan +12V wire in the front harness, cut it, and then splice the Coyote cooling fan wire to it. Results in the computer still powering and controlling the fan, the RF fan circuit and relay/fuse setup is not used, and just using the RF wires to reach the fan. Don't get lost in what color wire that would be because it's likely changed between versions. Look at the marked fan wires coming out of the front of the harness by the fan, and trace that color back to the front harness connectors in the footbox. You only need the +12V wire. You can use the RF ground wire. Or the control pack fan ground wire if there is one. Or just ground the fan directly to the chassis at its location. All do the same.
    Sounds just like I did it, spliced the heavy wire onto the PDB fan + . I might get to do a start up before the year is over. I am going to leave the RF fan wires alone and see if the ECU and PDB have control.

Good luck and hope this long winded explanation makes sense and helps.
    Thanks for the advise and taking the time to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    ...little uneasy about the fan not functioning. From other's post, it seems the fan energizes pretty soon after start up. When I get to the start up, it will be one of the many things, I will be monitoring.
    Quick follow-up comment. Not sure if your concern here is that you may not have it wired properly or that the PCM won't command. Regardless, there's no immediate concern at first start because it will take a few minutes at least for the thermostat to open and temp be where the fan is needed. You can watch the water temp gauge, but in the FF recommended location by the oil filter in my experience it trails the actual engine temp by quite a bit. Fine for normal use IMO, but if you really want to watch precisely, plug a scanner into the ODB2 port and monitor the ECT data. My Gen 2 Coyote runs in the 195 - 198 F range. The fan comes on well before then.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-06-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can do that. Thanks for the great idea. I think I have something that will scan for me.