Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: No Spark On First Start - Rookie Looking Mr. Right Answer

Post Thanks / Like

No Spark On First Start - Rookie Looking Mr. Right Answer

Apologies for my rookiness.

I tried my first start today but of the air, fuel, and fire mixture needed, I had no fire. No spark at the spark plugs and upon reading through the forum for clues, realized I hadn't hooked up the coil to a switched power source.

I used the orange EFI/coil wire for powering the EFI.

The question is...what wire to power the coil now. I'm assuming the tan electric choke is the right answer, right?

Thanks for the help.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never mind. Answered my own question. Fired right up with the electric choke wire connected. Scared the @#$& out of me when it fired.Thanks for all the help via the forum.
    Last edited by RJD; 10-05-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

3. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to keep in mind: The EFI/Coil circuit has a 15A fuse, and the Choke circuit has a 10A fuse. If you start blowing Choke fuses, it's probably because your coil is drawing more than the 10A fuse will support. Switch to the 15A fuse (but only if the 10A doesn't carry the load); the Choke wiring itself can easily carry the 15A for the short distance involved. If you blow the 15A fuse, you need to look further & find out why.

Cheers,

John

P.S. Congratulations on first start! But you know the rules...no pics/video or it didn't happen!
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 10-05-2018 at 03:20 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

5. Thanks RJD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    One thing to keep in mind: The EFI/Coil circuit has a 15A fuse, and the Choke circuit has a 10A fuse. If you start blowing Choke fuses, it's probably because your coil is drawing more than the 10A fuse will support. Switch to the 15A fuse (but only if the 10A doesn't carry the load); the Choke wiring itself can easily carry the 15A for the short distance involved. If you blow the 15A fuse, you need to look further & find out why.

Cheers,

John

P.S. Congratulations on first start! But you know the rules...no pics/video or it didn't happen!
    Thanks for all your help John. You solved my other issue too regarding the EFI. Regards.

7. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post