Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wilwood Brake Fit Up Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Wilwood Brake Fit Up Issue

Hey guys,

I've been working on my brake setup for a bit and found an issue today. It seems the back side of my rotor is rubbing on the lower control arm and would likely explain the issue I thought I had with my ebrake setup. I have the ZR1 hubs and measured the drop to the spindle and compared those to the stock hubs and they match. I'm at a loss on the possible cause of this, and what I should do to fix it. Anyone else see this before?

I'm going to throw this up on both sites to see what kind of response I can get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shoeless

Two ways I solved this. One grind off the casting parting line a little so it’s smooth. You remove a few tenths of an inch. Then you need to shim the hub off the upright. I made a template from cardboard and cut a shim from aluminum sheet.
    It should make contact full contact with the hub flat and the upright.

This way you have the same contact area between the hub and upright for heat transfer and support but gain a little clearance.

Many miles of racing prove this solution works.

Hope that helps.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Hi Shoeless

Two ways I solved this. One grind off the casting parting line a little so it’s smooth. You remove a few tenths of an inch. Then you need to shim the hub off the upright. I made a template from cardboard and cut a shim from aluminum sheet.
    It should make contact full contact with the hub flat and the upright.

This way you have the same contact area between the hub and upright for heat transfer and support but gain a little clearance.

Many miles of racing prove this solution works.

Hope that helps.

John
    Sounds like a solid approach to me. I'm going to head out to the garage and see how much clearance I can get grinding a little of the control arm off and I'll go from there.

Do you remember the thickness of aluminum sheet you went with? I think I still have some 0.040 laying around from remaking a couple panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Sounds like a solid approach to me. I'm going to head out to the garage and see how much clearance I can get grinding a little of the control arm off and I'll go from there.

Do you remember the thickness of aluminum sheet you went with? I think I still have some 0.040 laying around from remaking a couple panels.

I am using stoptech full floating rotors so my clearance may not be the same as yours. My rotors did rub the same way however.

I had the rotors made without springs between the buttons and the hat/ rotor. This allows for the most frictionless float but also allows for more misalignment.

I measured the max deflection by pushing the rotor toward the lower control arm and shimed it away till it didn’t hit after removing the casting marks. Then found aluminum laying around that was the correct thickness.

No problems since then.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    I am using stoptech full floating rotors so my clearance may not be the same as yours. My rotors did rub the same way however.

I had the rotors made without springs between the buttons and the hat/ rotor. This allows for the most frictionless float but also allows for more misalignment.

I measured the max deflection by pushing the rotor toward the lower control arm and shimed it away till it didn’t hit after removing the casting marks. Then found aluminum laying around that was the correct thickness.

No problems since then.
    Excellent, thank you Sir!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Before you get to aggressive with the grinder I think you should consider shimming the rotor out some.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Before you get to aggressive with the grinder I think you should consider shimming the rotor out some.
    I'm still kicking around the idea of shimming out the hub as mentioned above. I have some extra aluminum around from when I remade some panels that I didn't like the fitment from FF.