Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: manual brakes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My mk4 has manual steering and manual brakes. I have experimented a little with brake pads and they make all of the difference. Do not over brake the car. I enjoy the effort it takes to drive this car, because I wanted it to feel like an original.

Although I wouldn't hesitate to do manual again, a lot of guys on this forum swear by power steering or brakes. It's all preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottie, which brand and model brake pads would you recommend.
    I'm using manual brakes and manual steering on my mk4 roadster. I used a manual rack that I purchased from the factory five. I kind of like the feel of the steering. While it is very difficult to turn the wheel while standing still, once you reach 3-4 mph, there is no problem . The brakes, on the other hand, require a lot of pressure. I've never had to slam on the brakes, so I don't know if they would ever lock up. I'm using the original mustang donor car calipers, with stock rotors and pads. I'm using a single master cylinder, no boost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Hauser View Post
    Scottie, which brand and model brake pads would you recommend.
    I'm using manual brakes and manual steering on my mk4 roadster. I used a manual rack that I purchased from the factory five. I kind of like the feel of the steering. While it is very difficult to turn the wheel while standing still, once you reach 3-4 mph, there is no problem . The brakes, on the other hand, require a lot of pressure. I've never had to slam on the brakes, so I don't know if they would ever lock up. I'm using the original mustang donor car calipers, with stock rotors and pads. I'm using a single master cylinder, no boost.
    Joel,
    I am using sn95 mustang gt calipers and rotors up front and sn95 cobra in the rear. I went with G-LOC pads up front. I believe the G8 compound. After bedding them, the difference between those and then highest performance powerstop pads was unbelievable. Reduced pedal effort by 30% (not scientific but a very noticeable difference). On the rears I have hawk hp which I will eventually be switching to the G-LOC brand. I am using the Jeep master cylinder which is similar to yours and an sn95 pedal box from mike Everson with the pivot point changed.

I have used lots of different brands of pads in racing applications. After turning laps in the cobra with the g-locs I am impressed and happy.