BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Column

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Column

Can someone post up some good pic's of the attachment of the steering column? Mine if mounted the way the manual shows there will be a clearance issue with the brake pedal.

Post Thanks / Like
    You gotta shim it with washers and stuff. I can get a picture soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    And use a button head bolt instead of a hex in the area where the contact is
    2008 FFR 5851 Copperhead Orange with ghost stripes by “the Bat”, Ford Racing 345 HP, Tremec 5 Speed
    2012 FFR 33 HR, won Best Use of Chrome Huntington Beach 2014; 345 HP AOD
    Deep Impact Blue
    2018 FFR 35 Pick Up, building, getting there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used button head bolt, but I still get a little rubbing with the pedal. I will live with it.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    I did after all this time get the steering U joints, and now ready to get this thing on the road. the next road block is the size of the 3/4" DD steering shaft. It seems to be slightly over sized. It will not fit thru the bearing, or into a u joint. At first thought maybe it had a bur from being cut to length so I cleaned up the end with a flap disk, but no luck. The U joint did go on the steering column DD shaft as I would have expected. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just went through the same thing on my 33. I ended up using a small sanding drum on the dremel to enlarge the slot through the bearing. Used the flap disk on the shaft that wouldnt go into the u-joint. In all cases tried just tiny bits at a time. I tried emery cloth on the shaft initially but it would have taken a month of Sundays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nbjeeptj View Post
    I did after all this time get the steering U joints, and now ready to get this thing on the road. the next road block is the size of the 3/4" DD steering shaft. It seems to be slightly over sized. It will not fit thru the bearing, or into a u joint. At first thought maybe it had a bur from being cut to length so I cleaned up the end with a flap disk, but no luck. The U joint did go on the steering column DD shaft as I would have expected. Any thoughts?
    On mine I just ground off what looks like a coating on the shaft and it fit fine but tight

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony sent me a "carriage bolt" with nut and washer that fit.