Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Steering Column

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Column

Can someone post up some good pic's of the attachment of the steering column? Mine if mounted the way the manual shows there will be a clearance issue with the brake pedal.

Post Thanks / Like
    You gotta shim it with washers and stuff. I can get a picture soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    And use a button head bolt instead of a hex in the area where the contact is
    2008 FFR 5851 Copperhead Orange with ghost stripes by “the Bat”, Ford Racing 345 HP, Tremec 5 Speed
    2012 FFR 33 HR, won Best Use of Chrome Huntington Beach 2014; 345 HP AOD
    Deep Impact Blue
    2018 FFR 35 Pick Up, building, getting there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used button head bolt, but I still get a little rubbing with the pedal. I will live with it.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    I did after all this time get the steering U joints, and now ready to get this thing on the road. the next road block is the size of the 3/4" DD steering shaft. It seems to be slightly over sized. It will not fit thru the bearing, or into a u joint. At first thought maybe it had a bur from being cut to length so I cleaned up the end with a flap disk, but no luck. The U joint did go on the steering column DD shaft as I would have expected. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just went through the same thing on my 33. I ended up using a small sanding drum on the dremel to enlarge the slot through the bearing. Used the flap disk on the shaft that wouldnt go into the u-joint. In all cases tried just tiny bits at a time. I tried emery cloth on the shaft initially but it would have taken a month of Sundays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nbjeeptj View Post
    I did after all this time get the steering U joints, and now ready to get this thing on the road. the next road block is the size of the 3/4" DD steering shaft. It seems to be slightly over sized. It will not fit thru the bearing, or into a u joint. At first thought maybe it had a bur from being cut to length so I cleaned up the end with a flap disk, but no luck. The U joint did go on the steering column DD shaft as I would have expected. Any thoughts?
    On mine I just ground off what looks like a coating on the shaft and it fit fine but tight

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony sent me a "carriage bolt" with nut and washer that fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nbjeeptj View Post
    Can someone post up some good pic's of the attachment of the steering column? Mine if mounted the way the manual shows there will be a clearance issue with the brake pedal.
    So I'm running into the same issue. I measured the width of the top attachment point for the steering column and it's right at 2". The width of the lower attachment point for the steering column is around 2 1/4". The right support seems to be inline with the top and bottom attachment points but the left support isn't. Am I supposed to tighten it so that it bends to meet the lower attachment point? If I do so, I'll probably have the clearance I need for the brake pedal but I wasn't sure if bending the support was going to alter the rigidity of it. Here's a picture of how much further the left support has to go.

20230826_105051b.jpg
    Matthew and Noah
    '35 Hot Rod Truck - 5.0L 302
    Wake Forest, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran into the same issue when I rough mounted mine last night. I'm guessing since it has 4 mount points, bolting it up so it bends a bit won't be a problem as far as rigidity.

11. Likes FatherAndSon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up tightening the bolt down and it held up fine. It also cleared the brake pedal so that's good.
    Matthew and Noah
    '35 Hot Rod Truck - 5.0L 302
    Wake Forest, NC