Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coolant Leak

Post Thanks / Like

Coolant Leak

So have some time on the car and I have developed a couple leaks and looking for suggestions. The first is hose connection to the thermostat housing I replaced the clamp and heat cycled it but noticed the leak has come back after a couple of heat cycles. the second is located on the front connection from the solid tube to the flex tube also changed out the clamp and retightened along with going through a heat cycle as well seemed to fix it initially but I noticed it back again. Neither leak is very bad just notice a drip on the floor after running it. Any suggestions on the best way to correct these?

Thanks

Steve

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't specify what type of clamps you're using -- some are better than others. It's hard to beat the t-bolt clamp for positive clamping but for most rubber radiator hose connections the typical garden variety worm drive hose clamp will perform reliably if not over tightened causing hose damage. As long as the hose is the correct size for the fitting, the hose and fittings are in good condition, and the clamp has been tightened sufficiently (over tightening can lead to leaks and as will under tightening). So if you have ensured that the hose is the correct size for the fittings and the parts are in serviceable condition that leaves the clamping force as the prime suspect. Note that serviceability of the parts can be affected by the mating surface condition (inside the hose and outside of the fittings), ovality of the fittings, and cracks or porosity of the fittings. If the components look good then you can work on providing a better clamp. If you have sufficient room and can use two or more clamps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using the typical worm drive clamp. May have to try the t-bolt

Post Thanks / Like
    I've fought several leaks, especially with the standard lower radiator corrugated hose and the angles involved. I recently developed a leak, and used several wraps of a silicone based self bonding "Rescue Tape" around the hose's corrugated lip before sliding the rubber coupler and clamp on, which did the trick. On my upper hoses I used the Gate's PowerClamps (almost like heat shrink for high temp lines) and I've never had them leak. They actually ever so slightly swell/contract throughout the heat cycle.

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 10-20-2018 at 08:51 PM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

5. Thanks SteveE thanked for this post