FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Difference between steel fuel lines and coyote braided fuel lines

Post Thanks / Like

Difference between steel fuel lines and coyote braided fuel lines

Was not able to find a clear answer while searching. Apparently the coyote in tank fuel kit comes with complete braided lines instead of the standard steel lines. What's the benefit of braided? I read a good post about routing the fuel lines on the outside of the frame rail and that the braided lines are too short for this location. I'd almost prefer to have steel line in bulk that I could route it the way I want and not worry about running out. Is there something about the coyote that requires the braided lines?

Thanks
    Last edited by Brian76; 10-07-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, absolutely nothing about the Coyote that requires rigid (e.g. steel) versus flex (e.g. braided) lines. Some guys prefer flex lines because they're perhaps easier to install. Rigid lines take some careful planning, bending, etc. Just make sure if you do use flexible lines that they're made of material that will handle gasoline including with ethanol over the long haul. Well known for some flex line materials to break down over time and start weeping or giving off gasoline odor.

My personal preference FWIW is rigid lines with short flex lines on each end to the tank and to the engine. For the flex I use Aeroquip TFE Racing Hose and Aeroquip fittings.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-07-2018 at 04:31 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    To add to what Paul has said, I used Fragola Performance Systems Premium Black Nylon Race Hose (flexible braided lines) with Push-Lock fittings for my car. They are easy to work with compared to hard lines, but definitely not cheap! The hose is rated for the following:

Automatic transmission fluid
    Engine coolant
    Engine oil
    Ethanol
    Gasoline
    Methanol
    Vacuum
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I like the idea of using rigid lines along the majority of the frame and short flex on the ends. I'll do some research on the Fragola hose as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Every day I learn more off this forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    No, absolutely nothing about the Coyote that requires rigid (e.g. steel) versus flex (e.g. braided) lines. Some guys prefer flex lines because they're perhaps easier to install. Rigid lines take some careful planning, bending, etc. Just make sure if you do use flexible lines that they're made of material that will handle gasoline including with ethanol over the long haul. Well known for some flex line materials to break down over time and start weeping or giving off gasoline odor.

My personal preference FWIW is rigid lines with short flex lines on each end to the tank and to the engine. For the flex I use Aeroquip TFE Racing Hose and Aeroquip fittings.
    I have always been a fan of steel lines for fuel lines. However after a few cars with Flex lines, the simplicity and well..... Flexibility.... make them worth the extra cost in my view.

Steel is inexpensive for sure.

Fragola is a good brand, but there are many others as well. Be sure you know what fittings you need, buy only what you need as the costs add up fast as some fittings are $10 a piece when you add in the freight.

As previously stated be sure to use the correct line material to prevent gas odor and leakage.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    So I have a follow-up question...I purchased a $550 EFI in-tank fuel system kit from FFR that supposedly includes the braided fuel lines. I got the impression from FFR that this was a valuable option when installing a coyote. I'm starting to second guess if I need this if I decide I'd rather have rigid fuel lines. Has anyone else purchased this kit and found it necessary? I hate to spend the money on this kit and end up buying rigid line as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure I'm answering Brian76's question, but I can speak to my experience. I originally installed hard lines - 5/16 feed and 1/4 return. I had braided lines inside the engine bay (between the hard line and the fuel pressure regulator) and standard rubber hose from the tank to the junction point behind the passenger seat. I never liked the connections in the engine bay between the hard and braided lines, and initially I experienced leaks at every connection point (operator error, perhaps?). I replaced all of it with 3/8 braided flexible line. I have rubber hose from the tank to the fuel filter on the feed side, and rubber hose from a junction point to the return on the tank only because I had difficulty finding a fitting that would connect to the 1/4 inch tank connection and one that was small enough to fit in the limited space. I am extremely happy with the braided line. For Brian, I submit that perhaps you use the braided line supplied in the kit and supplement it with rubber hose in a manner similar to what I did. If it comes in one piece (I have no idea how it is shipped), you should be able to customize it as necessary. I bought a 20' roll of 3/8 braided line and I ended up with about 40 inches left over. Just my 2 cents.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I also purchased the EFI fuel line kit for my coyote base kit from FFR. lets just say i'm only using it now because I already have it but I'm sure you can piece your own fuel setup with better parts. I believe the FFR fuel pressure regulator is a no namer and the return line from the tank to reach the regulator mounted at an ideal exception location was short by about 2 inches. I was able to make it all work by buying an 1 inch 4an extension and some 4an fittings to get some slack. I mounted my fuel lines outside of the passenger frame rail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm back tracking a bit after reading some interesting posts about rigid steel vs braided vs SS...etc. Being in Ohio, the car may be exposed to salt residue on the roads in the spring so I'm wondering if rust is a concern over time. The braided lines seem very popular but some claim the rubber deteriorates and should be replaced every 10-15yrs. That does not sound exciting to me.

The kit does not show up for a few more weeks so I'll continue to research and decide later. I'll keep the braided lines for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm back tracking a bit after reading some interesting posts about rigid steel vs braided vs SS...etc. Being in Ohio, the car may be exposed to salt residue on the roads in the spring so I'm wondering if rust is a concern over time. The braided lines seem very popular but some claim the rubber deteriorates and should be replaced every 10-15yrs. That does not sound exciting to me.

The kit does not show up for a few more weeks so I'll continue to research and decide later. I'll keep the braided lines for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your looking at the wrong flexible lines. Any car that is going to run pump gas needs to run PTFE lines, stainless breaded or not for flex lines PEROID! Running rubber lines is a fire hazard waiting to happen. These lines if gasoline rated are meant for rec or racing fuels with out ethanol. Ethanol (all normal pump fuels have ethanol) breaks down these lines thus you need PTFE for any run of flexible line regardless of the run length. Fuel smells with pump gas happen most often when the line breaks down and sweats fuel that creates vapor, until they just start leaking. The correct line is expensive but will our last the car and never corrode. If you have questions call a place like Glenn’s performance for help getting the correct line so you don’t burn down your car. I’m not saying guys haven’t run the rubber stuff with pump gas, I’m saying it’s a very bad idea when dealing whith leaking fuel and hot engines.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian76 View Post
    Being in Ohio, the car may be exposed to salt residue on the roads in the spring so I'm wondering if rust is a concern over time. The braided lines seem very popular but some claim the rubber deteriorates and should be replaced every 10-15yrs.
    Hi Brian,
    The steel fuel lines provided by FFR in the complete kit are more than adequate for the majority of your fuel feed and return lines. If you are concerned about fuel line corrosion, you are WAY over thinking this and re-engineering something that doesn't need any. Some builders have opted to use SS braided line from the fuel pump to their engine. Its a matter of personal preference and how much extra your budget will absorb. IMO, its a waste of money. NO ONE will ever see the SS braided lines under your car....NO ONE. They are NO better in the delivery of fuel than steel lines. They do cost move and you've already bought the steel lines from FFR. You may want to consider the use of SS braided within the engine bay for your connections to and from the fuel pressure regulator and to the engine fuel rails. At least you see those sections. Anything else is overkill.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GFX2043mtu View Post
    Your looking at the wrong flexible lines. Any car that is going to run pump gas needs to run PTFE lines, stainless breaded or not for flex lines PEROID! Running rubber lines is a fire hazard waiting to happen. These lines if gasoline rated are meant for rec or racing fuels with out ethanol. Ethanol (all normal pump fuels have ethanol) breaks down these lines thus you need PTFE for any run of flexible line regardless of the run length. Fuel smells with pump gas happen most often when the line breaks down and sweats fuel that creates vapor, until they just start leaking. The correct line is expensive but will our last the car and never corrode. If you have questions call a place like Glenn’s performance for help getting the correct line so you don’t burn down your car. I’m not saying guys haven’t run the rubber stuff with pump gas, I’m saying it’s a very bad idea when dealing whith leaking fuel and hot engines.
    I need to call FFR and find out if the braided fuel lines they provide in the EFI in tank kit are PTFE. I would hope that they would provide fuel lines designed for all types of pump gas.
    Last edited by Brian76; 10-13-2018 at 06:07 AM.

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Brian,
    I've been supplying stainless steel tubing with -6 hydraulic fittings for each end. Works really well but more recently (past few years) I've been supplying OEM 3/8" & 5/16" plastic pushlock hoses & ends. So simple to install and has a preset fuel pressure regulator & filter. This system installs in less than an hour and works flawlessly.
    Mike Forte: Forte's Parts Connection / Framingham, Mass. 01702 / 508 875 0016 / [email protected] / fortesparts.com / Facebook Instagram: @fortespartconnection Est: 1981 dealing performance parts to build your dream car. A REAL SPEED SHOP with parts, price & knowledge. Developer of the early Ford & FE Tremec and Mustang firewall adjustable quadrant kits, external slave clutch release conversions & cable release conversions. Tremec Elite, FORD RACING & QUICKTIME DISTRIBUTOR!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike forte View Post
    Hi Brian,
    I've been supplying stainless steel tubing with -6 hydraulic fittings for each end. Works really well but more recently (past few years) I've been supplying OEM 3/8" & 5/16" plastic pushlock hoses & ends. So simple to install and has a preset fuel pressure regulator & filter. This system installs in less than an hour and works flawlessly.
    Thanks Mike. I'll be contacting you soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

18. Thanks nick7405 thanked for this post