BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: The Milano Project

Post Thanks / Like

The Milano Project

Well it’s finally happened. Last Saturday I picked up the new project from the previous owner Chuck, where he was storing the kit. It’s been partially started, but not too far and I intend to take things apart and do my own changes and validate other parts of the build. We even got a surprise when some of our Gateway Cobra Club members, out for a drive, stopped by. The car is now home and the preliminary inventory is complete.

One of the biggest decisions with many of us for these builds is colors. I’m lucky I guess that I’ve been obsessed with it for a couple of years and I’ve already got the colors picked. As most of you know I’m a big Marvel fan. Once I saw the Guardians Of the Galaxy, my color scheme was set. The main character, Peter Quill, has a Blue and Orange spaceship called the Milano and thus the name of my build.

Milano2.jpg

I’ve always loved Blue and Orange and now I can have them together. Also my father worked in the space industry for most of his life and even worked on the Mercury and Gemini capsules to send our first Americans into space. This one will be for him too. He always loved fast cars.

Here’s the idea for the build
    • MK4 with Dual Rollbars
    • T3 GT35 Twin Turbos with intercooler Utilizing a progressive boost limit in every gear.
    • Dart SHP Block w/ Forged 331 Rotating assembly
    • AFR 195 Competition Heads
    • Custom ground cam (Comp or Lunati)
    • MSD 85221 Cam Sync Plug
    • Holley HP Plus EFI System with 1000 cfm Throttle Body
    • Holley Coil packs
    • Edlebrock EFI RPM Intake
    • TKO-600RR Transmission
    • Custom Center Console Dash
    • MGW Shifter and new Shift ball
    • IRS with 3.27:1 Rear Diff
    • FR500 Deep Dish Chrome Rims
    • Chrome Quickjacks
    • Two tone grey leather interior and carpet
    • Re-covered leather Kirkey lowback classic race seats
    • Hidden Radio sound system

Here is the new,to me, kit at the previous owner's temporary storage location.

20180804_115934.jpg

Here’ s a pic of the car at home in the garage next to #4402, ready for the fun to commence.

20181007_204737.jpg

First thing is to dis-assemble the rear end and have new gears installed. While that is happening I'll get some of the other odds and ends cleaned up to a uniform starting point and go from there. I've been planning this for years, so really going to enjoy the build process and shamelessly copy some of the great features others on this forum have done as well. We have a great group of people in the Gateway Cobra Club, so any help I need, I'll be drawing from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Looking forward to watching this one progress.
    -Steve
    MK IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I am Groot!
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

4. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Well he don't know talkin' good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to "I" and "am" and "Groot," exclusively in that order. "

6. Likes cnutting liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, that color combination is going to be great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool! Congrats and welcome to the club. Gotta love a build with a theme
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    So just a quick update on the project. After I got the car home and did the inventory, I started critically going over the car and figuring out what all I had to correct to get it to a good starting point. Luckily we have an active club here in St. Louis and many members have pointed out small things that even I missed. It started with the front upper ball joints being assembled upside down, so they were pointing in the wrong direction and ended at the back bumper, so basically everything is coming off and getting reworked. I've rebuilt the front upper control arms and installed Energy Suspension boots since these were either missing or torn somehow. I'll rent a larger torque wrench tomorrow and get the final toques on this setup.
    20181014_114936.jpg20181020_165635.jpg

I've also pulled the half shafts out and hopefully I'll have the rear pumpkin out soon for a re-gear to a 3.27:1. New upgraded 600HP half shafts have been ordered from the from the DriveShaftShop and should be here in 3-4 weeks. I hope to have the rear diff back in place by then. New FFMetal F-Panels and Firewall has been ordered as well to replace these components. I've also pulled off the DS and PS footboxes. 2BKing was nice enough to send me his drawings for his footbox layout. I also got a PS layout from one of our members MPTech. I'm going to hopefully fab these up from poster board, but not actually transfer them to aluminum until I get my new foam test block and headers. That will be the deciding factor in much of this.
    20181020_165719.jpg

I did cut out the standard E-Brake bracket. I hope to contour mine more into the top of the trans tunnel, similar to this pic.
    e39-interior-104-bmw-e39-m5-interior-1000-x-664.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Really like your color choice and excited to follow the turbo design/installation for your build. A twin turbo 331 is going to be a handful...

What are you running in #4402?

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 10-20-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, 4402 is a supercharged 308 putting down 425 rwhp. I've had her for awhile and just got used to the boost and power. I've had this project in my head for years and just had an opportunity to pull the trigger. Couldn't be happier. One day 4402 will go out to a new owner. She's for sale on this site and others. Thanks for the reply.

12. Likes cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a while since my last update and a lot of things have been happening. Some good, some not and a few changes, but I guess that goes with all these projects. My rear end has had the new 3:27 gears installed and the new upgraded half shafts.
    20181229_145302.jpg

I've also got all the trunk aluminum drilled and set up to be powder coated. The FFMetal battery box is also ready for final installation. I still need to cut out the openings in the cockpit rear bulkhead for the speakers going there.
    20181213_194104.jpg

All aluminum that faces the road will be black, the items in the engine bay will be a darker grey. I also purchased a foam block so I could get a good fitment on the headers and routing of wiring while the engine is being built. I've moved on to the font aluminum now. I've located and drilled the new F panels and I'm currently fitting the inside driver footbox and all of the passenger footbox. I'm also moving the firewall about 2 inches forward.
    20181122_123413.jpg

For my birthday, my youngest daughter surprised me with a real cool present. A crocheted cobra. She didn't have a template or anything. She just saw it in her head and made it. She said it was to help keep me focused the car project. I think it's pretty cool.
    20181214_164445.jpg

Now to the hard part. I went and talked to my tuner, Bob Monks, about my parts combinations. I wanted to make sure I was getting all the right components that we would need for a successful project. I told him my goals or Road course and autocross as well as just driving down the road on cruises. He said he could definitely do it either way but he showed me empirical data from multiple different similar engines and where the power came in. In one the HP jumped 125 HP in 500 RPM. That wouldn't work for me accelerating out of a curve. I want a more linear power band. Because of that I'm going back to another supercharger. Yes I know I could get it to work, but I've talked to multiple people and read multiple accounts about SC vs turbo on the street in manual shifted cars. I'm ok with it now and I'll still be in the power band I wanted.

I picked Vortech 4FA218-140SQ model for the SC. I've also bought a Holley EFI Dual sync distributor that I can later convert to a cam plug and use coil near plug on the ignition.
    I also went with this as my ECU and throttle body. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-501
    I'll be able to capture data from driving sessions and tweek the tables myself using my laptop. I plan on a Edelbrock Victor Jr EFI intake to round out the top end of the engine. Hopefully I start making good progress on the front end and then on to the brakes.
    FFR #4402 Supercharged 308 445 RWHP Sterling Grey W/ Black Sapphire Stripes Purchase 8/22/2008 Sold 12/04/2018
    FFR #8249 "Milano" Kit purchased 10/5/2018 - In-Process