FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotts 289 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Scotts 289 Build Thread

June 6, 2018, I received the 289 USRRC complete kit with IRS, power steering, sway bars, heater, windshield wipers, Wilwoods, and 15" Halibrand replica rims....so it is about time I start a build thread.
    289 - fia.jpg 20181008_113147.jpg
    ALUMINUM
    I like the look of aluminum so all engine compartment aluminum was brushed using a straight edge, sanding block, and ultra-fine gray ScotchBrite. Then sealed with SharkHide. I am very pleased with the result; however, the first few pieces on the passenger side foot box were treated with SharkHide prior to installation. That was not a good plan. I choose to use the Bostik 1100FS (from Breeze) so cleaning the goop that oozed out compromised the SharkHide. The remaining pieces will be installed, cleanded, then sealed with SharkHide. I really like the Bostik adhesive/sealant.

Here are a few shots of the brushed aluminum in the engine compartment.
    20181008_113236.jpg 20181008_114235.jpg
    Last edited by Zots; 10-12-2018 at 01:23 PM.

2. Likes BlueMud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    HEATER AND FRESH AIR

I did not like the heater blower sucking in engine compartment air, so I turned the blower upside down, attached a 3" adapter and 3" hi-temp brake duct hose. It leaves room for the windshield wiper motor. Now I can get fresh air to the heater and also fresh air to the foot boxes when heat is not needed.

I also did not like the way the blower attached to the heater box by just screwing into plastic, so I cut some aluminum strips for inside the heater box, drilled and tapped them 10/24 so now the blower is bolted to the heater box. This also allows the wiring to be neatly routed through the existing engine harness.

20181008_113226.jpg
    Last edited by Zots; 10-08-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    IRS and BRAKES FOR 15" WHEELS

I wanted IRS and 15" rims. I really wanted the 289 FIA 15" knock-offs...but I had to settle. Thanks to Levy Racing, his Wilwood 15" brake solution worked beautifully. As you can see in the photos, the rims fit without any clearance issues. I will be installing Levy's manual emergency brake solution, which fits a disc between the driveshaft and the IRS along with a mounting plate, which holds the manually operated caliper.

20181008_113402.jpg

FRONT:
    20181008_113331.jpg 20181008_114121.jpg 20181008_114144.jpg

REAR:
    20181008_113348.jpg 20181008_113640.jpg 20181008_113849.jpg
    Last edited by Zots; 10-21-2018 at 11:52 AM.

5. Likes BlueMud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WILWOOD PEDALS

I machined the Wilwood pedal arm attachment area so that I could attach my AC foot pedals:

20181008_113438.jpg
    Last edited by Zots; 10-08-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    RADIATOR

I installed the Breeze radiator mount and the Breeze fan shroud. Great products.

20181008_114224.jpg 20181008_115010.jpg
    Last edited by Zots; 10-08-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    DASHBOARD

I received the pre-cut dashboard from FFR. The only issue was that once the speedometer and tackometer were installed, the inside mounting rings hit the cowl bar keeping the dashboard from mounting as high up as planned. That is why the top vinyl has not been glued back. I am awaiting final fitment to trim it. I also bought a new high-beam indicator light since the one I received did not have the chrome bezel that the green and red ones have. Yes, I know, the tach and speedo are reversed. I figured on the street I would need the speedo rather than tack in my direct eye line. I also opted not to utilize the built in idiot lights in the speedo.

I also installed the Russ Thompson turn signal...very nice!

20181008_114948.jpg
    Last edited by Zots; 10-08-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! Is that the breeze upper radiator mount? If so, you may run into some interference with the body. I ended up mounting mine to the top of the 3/4" tube. The radiator angle is more shallow than the MKIV.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. Youre really moving along on your project. Nice to see another 289 project.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Your plan and progress look great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! Have you posted the Build details (e.g., engine, transmission, rear end, color, options, etc.,)?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to continue this build until around mid-December - when hopefully FFR will have another 50% off sale and I will order the type 65 Coupe...in which case, I will be selling this to make room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well keep me in you perspective list of people to talk to regarding your 289 when the time comes.
    Sales sure help a lot for a coupe build.

Post Thanks / Like
    FUEL LINES

Installed the fuel lines - both supply and return lines. I intend to go carb with an in-tank pump. Perhaps the Spectra SP1138 low pressure pump, which would not require the return line...but I will have the return line if needed later.

fuel_lines.png

16. Likes Mark TX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    E-BRAKE

After test fitting the emergency brake handle, I did not like the way the huge lock nuts scraped the tunnel aluminum. I can imagine how it would affect the rug once installed. I could reverse them but then the unsightly nut would be exposed to view. To solve the problem, I utilized 1/4 x20 cabinet bolts....a nice finished look.

To make them fit properly I had to cut about 1/4" off the nutsert side...but before I cut it, I tapped it so that the threads continued through the entire length of the nutsert so that there would be sufficient threads to hold. I then drilled out the hole in the handle to accept the larger diameter cabinet bolt. A little blue locker and I tightened them down and cut off the remaining length of the bolt.

ebrake3.png ebrake2.png ebrake1.png

18. Likes Mark TX, BlueMud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. They should sell them like that. Very clean.
    There are so many "improvements" that I have not even begun to contemplate!

Post Thanks / Like
    BUILD Thoughts

If anyone is wondering about the difficulty in building a Factory Five Cobra...I have to say that FFR has developed an excellent, straight forward build with a tremendous build manual. In fact, it is almost too easy! Of course, I purchased the complete kit so everything is new - no donor stuff to worry about. I say this because my last project was an RCR40 - a GT40 replica from Race Car Replicas. Their's is a great car. The all-aluminum monocoque chassis is a true work of art. The engineering is top notch. With it you get endless opportunities to scratch your head, figure it out, and fabricate what you need...and redo it! In fact, it took me almost a year of staring at it in the garage to get the courage to start! Fitting the spider and doors alone was quite a challenge since every slight change affects each X, Y, and Z axis. I thoroughly enjoyed the build. Unfortunately, someone came along and offered me the right price and I sold it before completion (regret it now!). I would do it again....but not until I build a Type 65 coupe.

gt40a.jpg gt40b.jpg
    Last edited by Zots; 10-16-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Scott,

You are off to a great start! Quick question for you; does the current chassis still have an interference problem between the clutch arm and the frame?

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post200905

I had to notch the frame to get full travel of the arm. I'm not sure if FFR had addressed that issue yet or not...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, my driver's side frame looks just like yours in the picture - so FFR must have addressed the issue. I do have full clutch pedal travel. How do you like your BOSS 302? I am contemplating that route with their new X2302E that has the new X2 head package.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zots View Post
    Yes, my driver's side frame looks just like yours in the picture - so FFR must have addressed the issue. I do have full clutch pedal travel. How do you like your BOSS 302? I am contemplating that route with their new X2302E that has the new X2 head package.
    I was under the impression that Ford had discontinued the Windsor BOSS 302. Do you have a link to a new package?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Summit Racing has the new M-6007-X2302E listed as well as Gary Yeomans Performance Parts in Daytona Beach, FL (I spoke with them, they said they were available with the X2 heads for a more compatible exhaust setup).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m6007x2302e

Post Thanks / Like
    E-BRAKE

With the IRS and 15" rims, the normal emergency brake system would not fit inside the rim. Levy Racing to the rescue. They have a mechanical Pinion-Mount emergency brake system which I just installed. The photos below show the e-brake mounting plate attached to the crossbar just in front/underneath the IRS center section. The second photo shows the disc test-fitted to the pinion with the mechanical caliper below (mounted to the adapter plate.) Yes, there is clearance between the caliper and the U-Joint mounting plate. I will finish it with the Lokar EC-8000TP Emergency Brake Cable.

ebrake_pinion_mount.png ebrake_pinion1.png
    Last edited by Zots; 10-17-2018 at 12:23 PM.

26. Likes BlueMud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is now a roller!
    side.png
    ...getting ready to buy a coupe....so I am willing to let this one go for the right price.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent you a PM. Let me know what you want for it.
    Thanks
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Just picked up my engine - new Ford Racing 347. I got the Holley setup as well as the Weber setup. I am comfortable tuning DCOE's...now to tackle IDF's. Now for the TKO600 and clutch and I am ready to install!

347sr.png347_webers.png
    Last edited by Zots; 01-28-2019 at 07:29 PM.

30. Likes Straversi, BlueMud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Engine in!
    eng_trans.png engine_in.png
    Oops...be sure to remove the radiator before installing the engine....ugh....
    Last edited by Zots; 04-07-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    That is awesome! Beautiful engine and am totally jealous as Weber’s or Stacks are in my next build plan.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

Air Conditioning

OK...I live in Houston. It gets hot. I don't really need a heater but it would be nice to have some air conditioning. I had a Cobra a while back with A/C...it did not do much good but it was nice to have. I decided I could build a better version...and since my engine already had the compressor I might as well install the rest.

I took the FFR heater:
    heater_ffr.png
    and an evaporator unit:
    ac_unit_original.png
    and performed some surgery to make it all fit behind the dash. The only sacrifice was I had to remove the speedometer (289 FIA dash layout). I have not decided where to put it yet. I first hacked the heater unit.
    20190330_151431.jpg
    then hacked the A/C unit. Come to find out, the evaporator had a 45 degree angle built in to it so I could tuck it up against the heater core, which allowed it to fit behind the dash and not hang below it without any mods. I was able to utilize the original A/C enclosure after some modifications.
    ac_hack.png
    ac_unit.png ac_unit_back.png
    I built a plenum out of sheet metal to move the air to the center console vents. Glue sure gets everywhere...but I will be covering with dash material.
    ac_bare.jpg
    I added some vents on each end for future use. I also created a 2" butterfly valve out of PVC and old SU HS4 carb parts and installed it on top for the defrost.
    ac_heater_valve.png ac_valve.jpg
    test fit it with the A/C hoses in place.
    ac_no_plenum.jpg.
    Now to attach the vent front to the plenum.
    Last edited by Zots; 04-07-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Test fit without dash
    ac_nodash.jpg
    Here it is with the dash fit. You can see the hole where the speedo was. Maybe I will put a glove box door there.
    ac_dash.jpg
    And a view from the top to see how it all fit.
    ac_top.jpg.

It is a large evaporator unit so it should produce some cold air!
    Last edited by Zots; 04-07-2019 at 02:14 PM.

36. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Under-Car Exhaust

I had a Cobra with under-car exhaust and one with side pipes. My kids still have leg scars. I like the clean look of no side pipes - especially on the 289 version...so here goes.

I purchased custum short headers from GP Headers in stainless. I then purchased 2.5" oval pipes and Series 7000 thin-line muflers from SpinTech and began the process of fabbing the system. Here is the product.

Headers with 2.5" round to oval transition:
    under_car_header.png
    Exhaust system with Muffler Armor attached:
    under_car_system.png
    Here is the muffler hanger:
    under_car_hanger.png
    Side view:
    under_car1.png
    I will finish the side out once the body is in place. I am still evaluating rear-exit - but with the IRS, it probably won't happen.

I have about 3/8" clearance between foot box bottom and the Muffler Armor. I also placed Thermo-Tec heat barrier on the underside of the car above the exhaust. The muffler tucks up a bit under the additional height that is available under the seats. The whole thing hangs down less than 2.25" from the bottom of the side 2x2 frame rail.

38. Thanks SanDogDewey, ChopperJustin thanked for this post
    Likes Straversi, SanDogDewey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job

40. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Scott!!

Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like

First Start!

It's Alive!
    This is actual FIRST effort to start the engine. I primed the oil pump - installed the distributor - aproximated the advance - primed the fuel pump - attached the positive cable to the battery - and turned the ignition switch!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats awesome. Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Scott !!!
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    First drive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Congratulations on your first drive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Great milestone to hit.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, your coming right along Scott!
    Just ordered a/c setup and a top for mine.
    Walt

50. Likes chuckster liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast