Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Electric Power Steering...Another Convert!

Post Thanks / Like

Electric Power Steering...Another Convert!

So, after reading several threads by guys who did this conversion, and after deciding that I'm too old and weak to drive one of these with manual steering, I decided to dive in. As have others, I adapted the Saturn Vue electric power steering unit to FFR #8317, completing the installation last week. I built the bracket from 3" wide by 1/8" thk steel (from Home Depot), but rather than just attaching to the lower 3/4" square tubing, I attached it to both the upper and lower tubes. I used 1/4" rivnuts in both tubes to make the attachment. I also sourced a few of the adapters from E-Power Steering (www.epowersteering.com) as well as their "advanced" adjustable controller that allows the steering assist to be adjusted from 0 - lots. (Note that E Power Steering offers complete kits that include the power steering unit to make this conversion.) The results? WOW! I have been driving with the controller set to "min" and love the way the car drives! No more tired arms!

I have attached a few photos for your information.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

2. Likes FlyingCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent results. In addition to PS making things easier, I think it also offers a safety factor. The times I had manual what I noticed was I would often need to plan ahead in a parking lot or in my neighborhood. I worried that some kid w/ a ball, or grandma w/ a shopping cart, might pop in front of me and I simply would not have the strength to do what I needed to avoid.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very clean install. Nice work!
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also a huge fan here
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    frankb, You did a very nice installation. I'm assuming that this method still uses the manual steering rack. Does it also keep the front end alignment specs for manual steering?

Thanks,

BigUgly
    FFR 6760 Mk 3.1 Fortes Dart 427 TKO 600 3.55 3 Link Solid Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning on this for my car. I'm going for a "pure" car, and power steering technically reduces that some, but the fact that I can set the exact amount of assist that I want (and that my wife can do the same - I expect her level will be different) makes it seem like a no-brainer to me.

Not sure if I'm going to put in a stereo, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    BigUgly:

This installation does retain the manual steering rack. I have not had the alignment adjusted yet, so it still retains the manual alignment. It is just a wee bit twitchy at highway speeds, but not uncontrollable or uncomfortable (scary), so I will eventually get around to adjusting the alignment to include more caster. This should make the straight-line steering more stable. The work is worth it, as the car is much more comfortable to drive!

BTW: Thanks to both you and Mike N for the compliment!

Frank B
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCobra View Post

I'm going for a "pure" car, and power steering technically reduces that some

Here's another place it can go - stealth / cheap / clean engine compartment...

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ll-A-Part-EPAS

Making it up as I go. JJ in Cbus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, did you use a salvaged unit or did you buy one new? This is a project I am planning on doing this winter and trying to get all my parts together before the body comes off. BTW thanks for the epowersteering link.

jj

Post Thanks / Like
    JJ:

I went to the local Pick-a-Part and got one from a 2007 Saturn Vue. If you go this route, be sure you get one from the Saturn Vue or Chevy Equinox. The ECU on the unit must be the one with the steel cover. The controllers that are available (in my case, from E-power Steering) only work with the steel box ECUs. When I grabbed my power unit, I also grabbed the mating splined slider for the power unit's input shaft. This is how I adapted the FFR steering rod to the input shaft of the power unit.

Frank B

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    Here's another place it can go - stealth / cheap / clean engine compartment...

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ll-A-Part-EPAS

I already have that thread bookmarked for when the time comes. It's what I was planning on doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    So, after reading several threads by guys who did this conversion, and after deciding that I'm too old and weak to drive one of these with manual steering, I decided to dive in. As have others, I adapted the Saturn Vue electric power steering unit to FFR #8317, completing the installation last week. I built the bracket from 3" wide by 1/8" thk steel (from Home Depot), but rather than just attaching to the lower 3/4" square tubing, I attached it to both the upper and lower tubes. I used 1/4" rivnuts in both tubes to make the attachment. I also sourced a few of the adapters from E-Power Steering (www.epowersteering.com) as well as their "advanced" adjustable controller that allows the steering assist to be adjusted from 0 - lots. (Note that E Power Steering offers complete kits that include the power steering unit to make this conversion.) The results? WOW! I have been driving with the controller set to "min" and love the way the car drives! No more tired arms!

I have attached a few photos for your information.
    Frank,

I just came across this thread - a little late but better late than never!!

Like FlyingCobra and others, I plan on doing this mod for my MK4. Rather than going the Pick-a-Part route, I'd like to get the parts from E-Power Steering. I have some questions.

Does the "Straight Kit" for $655 look like it will work? It has the tube and the adjustment knob. What couplers did you get from them? The ones that come with the kit or others? Looks like the advanced EPS controller comes with the kit.

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm late to the party here- what a great idea! Nice job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Swwebb: The parts I ordered are - 16.5mm to 3/4" coupler, Dust boot, and the Advanced EPS Controller. When I grabbed the drive unit from the Pick - A - Part, I grabbed the mating slider for the input spline.

The "Straight Kit" to which you refer has some parts you won't need and also does not have the bracket to mount the drive unit to the frame. I know that they have a complete kit for our FFR Mk4, but it is not listed. Give them a call. Otherwise, you may wish to build your own bracket and purchase the "Universal Kit".

16. Thanks swwebb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Joe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great!! Thanks for the detailed info!!

Edit 4/12 - MK4-specific kit is $650.
    Last edited by swwebb; 04-12-2019 at 10:54 AM.

19. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Enjoyed the information from this post. FYI: The price for the "Factory Five MK3/4 Roadster Kit" from epowersteering.com is $745.00 as of 2/3/2020.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Car Man View Post
    Enjoyed the information from this post. FYI: The price for the "Factory Five MK3/4 Roadster Kit" from epowersteering.com is $745.00 as of 2/3/2020.
    I just bought the epowersteering kit for FFR for $650 last month - was there a change in the kit? maybe I got lucky with the old price?

https://epowersteering.com/purchase/product/factoryfivemk4

IMG_9296.jpg
    Last edited by toadster; 02-03-2020 at 12:25 PM.
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!