FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Car cover?

Post Thanks / Like

Car cover?

What are we using for a nice cover for the 33 with hardtop and bike fenders? Thanks

2. Thanks wrp thanked for this post
    Likes wrp, AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    What are we using for a nice cover for the 33 with hardtop and bike fenders? Thanks
    I am also interested in the response as well

Post Thanks / Like
    My (unreliable) vague memory is that California Car Covers made one that fit the '33 well and wasn't too pricey. However, I didn't have any notes in the build file and a quick search of their site didn't find one. You might try calling them for better information. Also, you could try searching on the other forum. It was probably 3-5 years ago when I saw other builders discussing this. HTH
    Keith

5. Thanks wrp thanked for this post
    Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been shopping for a while. California Car covers has a nice one for less than $300 as I recall. Their cover was generic and their choices somewhat limited. I was looking for something with a dust and ding protection for a car stored indoors. Another company called Cover Anything has a super nice looking cover and offers a variety of different colors/accessories. They could not or would not quote a price. Their response to my inquiry was that they would design a custom cover for a $50 deposit. Between the two, Cover anything wanted pictures of the car and had a form to fill out specifying appropriate measurements. I had been led to expect that kind of response for California Covers. However, it could be that I just got a new tech that really did not know what I was asking for.

What I liked about the California cover was that you could remove their logo from the cover and embroider whatever you want. For instance I had considered adding Ethyl to the cover. California offered two colors in the cover I was looking for, Taupe and Grey. The Grey ones were on hand but the taupe would require several weeks, 4-6. Cover Anything offered a broader choice of colors but still had the 4-6 week timeframe based on the custom construction required.

It was interesting to study the various cover liners and the effectiveness of different construction. You can be specific enough to describe the protection you want, ie in door dust and dent protection versus outdoor weather protection.

If anyone else has bought one, it would be nice to tell us exactly what the appropriate identification of the cover was since it is hard to explain to a service desk operator what a chopped top and channeled body with bicycle fenders and no bumpers means in terms of changes to a OEM 33 Ford. One minor irritant from the cover anything was their response email contained technical details about my computer, browser, my home address plotted on a map and even the rev number of my OS. I find it irritating that they go to that effort and insulting that they throw the evidence in my face as if I find their actions reasonable.
    Last edited by wrp; 10-17-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I came across this several months ago on someone's thread...

https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...MG953034-1.jpg

https://www.coverking.com/

I and another builder and I have reached out to them and gotten different responses. Don reached out to them and I believe they said they didn't have a pattern for the FFR33'. I reached out to them and they told me that they are sold through FFR only. I have not talked to anyone at FFR about this yet, but someone has a pattern!

Keep me in loop if anyone finds anything else out!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I searched the Cover King website under "'33 Ford model 40" and found that they listed covers specifically for the FFR Hot Rod: https://www.coverking.com/indoor-sat...l-40-base.html (Look at the drop down menu under "tell us more about your car".) The particular cover I looked at was $400. This company has a lot of cover configurations, but I didn't check to see if all are available for the '33.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good

Post Thanks / Like
    I pulled the trigger on a Cover King Cover

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a Cover King Cover
    I'll be anxious to see the fit and look once you have it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what it looked like at SEMA a couple years back... https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...MG953034-1.jpg
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    This is what it looked like at SEMA a couple years back... https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...MG953034-1.jpg
    Wonder how they handle the hard top with mirrors, interesting to see, THX!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the color samples of material for the satin stretch indoor cover. I am going with British Racing Green

IMG_0833.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Learned that they plan on shipping my cover on 27 February, about 19 days in production. Still does not reflect on their order status tool though they did confirm by phone. I was disappointed that I could not get embroidery done. They claim there is an option on their website when ordering but I can not find it for the life of me. Not a real problem though I can have the upholstery shop do it. I already know they do quality work and am not just taking a blind chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well this is turning into a major disappointment. My order was submitted 8 February. I was told it would take 1-2 weeks. I called several times over the next few weeks to see if there was a status. I was told it was being worked on. I hade finally been given a ship date of 27 February. I called back today pretty excited that it should be almost done and ready to ship. Welp they hadn't even started on it, didn't know when they would get to it, or how long it would take once they did. The embroidery option that they said was on their website and wasn't, could be done but that would delay the process even further. I asked for my money back and they agreed. With the Good Guys show in Texas coming up i went ahead and asked them to p[lease sort the order out and finish it instead of the refund. That may have been a mistake. So for now I am waiting on a return call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for keeping us informed. Be sure you tell them that a whole bunch of of '33 guys will be shopping elsewhere due to their obvious lack of concern for taking care of their customers. WRP, you've saved a lot of us a lot of hassle. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well they are moving forward. I am not sure how long it will take to get the cover. I'd hold off judgement until we get one and see the quality. They are still the only ones that offer a solution for our cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was pretty disappointed in the response from Cover King but a young man named Eugene picked up the ball they dropped and has moved my order into production. It appears they are expediting the assembly of the cover. I guess it is easy to do business with someone when everything goes well. The measure is whether they stick with you when it all goes to pieces. Thus far I have to give them a good grade for effort, even if it is from this one CSR. I'll let you guys know when it ships and what the quality is.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just received a tracking number, the product was shipped today. We still haven't seen the end result but I have to tell you guys Eugene is an award winner After three weeks of promises from others with no result Eugene picked up the phone on the 26th. He said he would personally look into the order as it looked like it had not been transferred from the order system to the production system. He personally took the order, confirmed it with me, walked it through and monitored it until it was shipped. I have to tell you this is the kind of service I never mind spending money for. Lots of things happened that were not their fault. They had transitioned from one ordering and tracking system to another requiring manual re entry of orders and that seems to be where the problem was. The doesn't excuse the other CSR's BS'ng me for three weeks only to learn on the day before nothing had been done, but as long as they have someone like Eugene trying to make things right I figure you cannot go wrong. My suggestion is if you are going to try one of their products, establish an account first. Give it a day to register in the system. Then when you do the order entry it will populate with status. If not call them. If the answer is weak then call and ask for Eugene. I am looking forward to seeing the product.

22. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the cover arrived. It is beautiful. Very nice quality. Doesn't fit. I guess it is close enough to use. The mirrors were fit to mount forward of the door, not on the door and the windshield and windows seem to be off. I suppose I can just take a pair of scissors and cut the mirror holes out. I am not sure how to address this as far as a recommendation. Despite the initial confusion they did work hard to provide the product. There was not a clear place to measure the mirrors. I don't know if the local upholsterer can move the mirror pockets or not and if so what effect that will have on the fitment of the windshield area. I cannot not recommend the product. My goal was a show piece to use in displays. Fact is it will do a credible job but I could have gotten a credible unit off of them for several hundred dollars less. I'd like to see someone that has a nice fitting one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like good quality, would be nice if it fit better

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I am glad you shared this with us. I assume you are sending it back for a refund/remake? Sorry you have had to go through this but thankful I waited to see the product up front. Take care.

26. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I ordered another cover for a 33 Ford Coupe from Car Covers. Fitment is much better and cost was 1/3rd of Cover King. Not much choice of color and the cover is less quality but the Cover King unit was for a topless Roadster 33 and this is for a standard 33 Ford Coupe. The Car Cover unit would do well for a full fenders Hot Rod as well. Now I have one cover for the topless roadster and another for the coupe. CarCovers.com. https://www.carcovers.com/covers/car...in-shield.html

IMG_0884.jpegIMG_0895.jpegIMG_1493.jpegIMG_1497.jpeg
    Last edited by wrp; 04-22-2019 at 06:44 PM.