Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exhaust Decision Time

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust Decision Time

I am clicking the order button today on a MK4. Kinda excited I gotta tell ya. Finally opted for the Coyote build, even though I feel like I am cheating on the big block nostalgia
    My question is do I get the "no extra cost" option for the headers and purchase from another vendor or go with the ceramic coated shorties? I have seen several having issues with headers on the Coyote and want to avoid that is possible. I plan on powder coating all the chrome to black so I am not looking for stainless pipes.
    Any help would be great and much appreciated. Can't wait to start my build thread, even though I am not much of a talker so it may turn out to just be a bunch of pictures and not many words.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered FFR 4 into 1 stainless headers. They are impressively built, no welding splatter, excellent welds, with a bare stainless finish. Although not running yet, they installed without any fit issues and look great.
    The O2 bungs are there too. I would avoid the headers and J pipes.
    There are numerous options on the side pipes and I have no experience with use or comparisons.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check interference with factory ac compressor location if you plan that.

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the 4-into-1 SS headers. Vastly superior to the standard 15442 ROADSTER COYOTE STRAIGHT TUBES. Those have issues with durability and also penalize performance. I haven't personally used the Factory Five 4-into-1 headers, but multiple reports that they are quality pieces. When I did #8674, they weren't available so purchased similar parts from GP Headers. They work great and are bulletproof. You mention powder coat to black out all the shiny stuff. Assume you know you can't powder coat the side pipes. It won't hold up to the heat. You can either black ceramic coat or paint the standard plain steel side pipes. I'd personally recommend paint over spending the money to have them ceramic coated. You may find they're pretty loud and get louder over time. Just depends on what you're comfortable with.

Don't feel like you're cheating with the Coyote. It's awesome in these cars.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.