Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Electric Fuel Pump Location

Post Thanks / Like

Electric Fuel Pump Location

Hey guys. Just ordered my 427 from Blueprint. Really looking forward to its arrival. Blueprint says that because I'm running power steering, that the front pulley system is not able to run with a mechanical pump, so need to go electric, which comes with the engine. That's a bummer as I already have it all plumbed out for a mechanical, but in looking for new routing, I've reviewed many posts around placement, and it seems that most put the electric pump behind the passenger 4" tube. I don't have the pump in hand, so can't actually fit it in position, but is this the best spot for an IRS rear end or is there somewhere else? I've seen one pic that looks likes the fuel line bows out a little too far when running down the passenger side 4" rail, but can't really tell from the picture. I'm not planning on running a return line, just tank > inline filter > electric pump > regulator > carb
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    cv:

I like others have placed my Holley 225 on the passenger side behind the tire on the "vertical" rectangular tube. You may wish to consider a low pressure in-tank pump.IMG_20140915_213654_418.jpg
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    An electric pump needs to be as close to the bottom of the tank as possible. I put it behind the pumpkin, on the cross brace.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    An electric pump needs to be as close to the bottom of the tank as possible. I put it behind the pumpkin, on the cross brace.
    Bob - Would that be a horizontal mount across the brace or a vertical mount across the Factory Five logo’d plate?

Post Thanks / Like
    The filter goes after the pump, not before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    The filter goes after the pump, not before.
    Thanks for the clarification Rich. Hard to tell on some of the pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't matter. Whichever way seems to fit the best.

You should have a 100micron filter before the pump to keep junk out of the pump, and a 10 micron filter after the pump to keep tiny bits out of the injectors.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't matter. Whichever way seems to fit the best.

You should have a 100micron filter before the pump to keep junk out of the pump, and a 10 micron filter after the pump to keep tiny bits out of the injectors.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Going with a Carb? I went to an in-Tank pump... and yes, they send a very shinny brand new Holley Red pump with your motor. I did not know that until I received the motor. Here is what I purchased, all from Amazon and out the door just under $100. Something for you to consider as and option.

The rack and the pump. Both are Spectrum Premium parts. Pump: SP1138 and Rack: FG30a You will also need to buy the pre filter separate from the one that comes with the rack. that Oreilly Auto Parts # is S13001. All of this of course is assuming that you have the standard Fox body fuel tank such as in the Mk4 Roadster. This is a low pressure (7psi max) and it is 65GPH (should be good up to about 600HP) Hope this helps... FYI, I have a 347 BluePrintEngine with 415HP

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Going with a Carb? I went to an in-Tank pump... and yes, they send a very shinny brand new Holley Red pump with your motor. I did not know that until I received the motor. Here is what I purchased, all from Amazon and out the door just under $100. Something for you to consider as and option.

The rack and the pump. Both are Spectrum Premium parts. Pump: SP1138 and Rack: FG30a You will also need to buy the pre filter separate from the one that comes with the rack. that Oreilly Auto Parts # is S13001. All of this of course is assuming that you have the standard Fox body fuel tank such as in the Mk4 Roadster. This is a low pressure (7psi max) and it is 65GPH (should be good up to about 600HP) Hope this helps... FYI, I have a 347 BluePrintEngine with 415HP

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post

Thanks! Two questions. Does the red pump that comes with engine require a return line? Do you know the model number? Also, what sized line is that sender setup for? I'm running a 3/8". I guess that was 3 questions...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Thanks! Two questions. Does the red pump that comes with engine require a return line? Do you know the model number? Also, what sized line is that sender setup for? I'm running a 3/8". I guess that was 3 questions...
    So I'm having a real hard time with the forums tonight... But I'll try to answer your questions. The in-tank outlet is 5/16, You would have to find one that is 3/8ths. As far as I know the Holley pump does NOT require a return. It is only a 7PSI pump. Designed for Carb.... and see the photo for information about that pump. Hope this helps...
    IMG_2098.jpg IMG_2099.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as I can have easy access to the pump in case there are issues, which based on Bob's suggestion for mounting, it looks good, then I'll just go with the external. Looks like this pump doesn't need a regulator as well, so I'm guessing I'll plumb the fuel routing the same as if it was going to a regulator, hard line going up under the passenger foot box, secured to the side, then a rubber or braided hose to the carb.

I'm having issues with the forum as well. Extremely slow for the past day...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    So I'm having a real hard time with the forums tonight... But I'll try to answer your questions. The in-tank outlet is 5/16, You would have to find one that is 3/8ths. As far as I know the Holley pump does NOT require a return. It is only a 7PSI pump. Designed for Carb.... and see the photo for information about that pump. Hope this helps...
    IMG_2098.jpg IMG_2099.jpg
    Thanks for the pics Carl. Helps out a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Slow enough right now I almost left. 30-60 seconds of hula hoop going around every time I click a new thread.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a Walbro 225 in tank pump for FFR mustang tank and run a Aeromotive A1000 or similar carburetor regulator. The wiring in the kit will work and in tank pumps run cooler, last longer longer and don’t require additional mounting. Plus with this set up vapor lock doest happen and line pressure losses are not a issue since the system will be a return style unlike the Holly set up. There are also other regulators out there just make sure they are return style and are meant for a carb set up.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GFX2043mtu View Post
    Get a Walbro 225 in tank pump for FFR mustang tank and run a Aeromotive A1000 or similar carburetor regulator. The wiring in the kit will work and in tank pumps run cooler, last longer longer and don’t require additional mounting. Plus with this set up vapor lock doest happen and line pressure losses are not a issue since the system will be a return style unlike the Holly set up. There are also other regulators out there just make sure they are return style and are meant for a carb set up.
    All good points. One more to pile on -- the in tank setup is quieter. I drove a Roadster the other day with an in-line electric pump (carb'd too) and I could hear the pump running most of the time. Even while driving. Some are noisier/quieter than others. But it's a factor nonetheless.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the best in-tank pump that doesn't need a return line? I originally had thought about one for future FI, but not now, so want the routing to be as simple as possible.

And to Paul's point, I did see a first start video the other day and I didn't know what the buzzing was for a moment, then realized it was the pump. I thought that the noise would shut off after a few seconds, but it remains.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a Walbro in tank, and it was noisy, noisy, noisy. Replaced it with an Aeromotive and I can barely just hear it prime the FI when turning the key on. Nice n quiet.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    All in tank pumps that I know of are return style so you need a return style regulator. Honestly running a return line is easy, because you run the feed and return side by side. Fully doest take much extra time to run it and this style system removes a lot of issues associated with dead head systems.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Holley has their 12-125. Supposed to be very quiet and looks pretty sharp too. I may sell the Red one that comes with the engine and run with this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the fuel pump I installed to resolve my vapor lock problem down here in Florida.
    I called Holley and they recommended their electric fuel pump P#12-125 and to use their regulator P# 12-803BP with a return line. After the installation the car has never run so well. I used AirQuip breaded lines and fittings.
    Craig

Picked up April 2004, completed June 2006 - Ford Racing 351-W, Bored & Stroked to 392ci, 430HP - 475ft/lbs torque. Holley 750 D.P., Tremec 3550, 3-link, FFR 15 Wheels, Color: Indo Ink Pearl with Super White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Classic View Post
    That is the fuel pump I installed to resolve my vapor lock problem down here in Florida.
    I called Holley and they recommended their electric fuel pump P#12-125 and to use their regulator P# 12-803BP with a return line. After the installation the car has never run so well. I used AirQuip breaded lines and fittings.
    Do you happen to have a few item numbers of the fittings you used? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I run external on my 700hp alcohol burner. If at all practical I'd go with an in tank pump. A little hassle now will make life easier long term.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Do you happen to have a few item numbers of the fittings you used? Thanks!
    I would have to go back to my Summit order and recheck it. I started with an Feed and Return Fuel Pickup with AN fittings at the tank. I used 6AN fuel line. Due to the carburetor D.P. 8AN supply my return line to the pressure regulator is 8AN. It takes some time but pull up the Summit Website and map out your routing and figure out what fittings you might need. I missed a couple fittings and bought some I didn't need. But then it's all part of the game.

It looks like we are only an hour and a half apart. If you would like to, maybe sometime we could meet up and you can check out my 2004 - Mk.3 with 38,000 miles. Let me know.
    Craig

Picked up April 2004, completed June 2006 - Ford Racing 351-W, Bored & Stroked to 392ci, 430HP - 475ft/lbs torque. Holley 750 D.P., Tremec 3550, 3-link, FFR 15 Wheels, Color: Indo Ink Pearl with Super White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    CV:

I run the Holley 12-125 (I know I said 225 above...my mistake) on FFR 8317. It is a bit noisy, but not bad. It can be heard when the engine is not running, and detectable at idle. It can't be heard while underway. Also, I don't run a regulator as it is internally regulated at 7 psig, so a return is not necessary.

Frank B
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Classic View Post
    I would have to go back to my Summit order and recheck it. I started with an Feed and Return Fuel Pickup with AN fittings at the tank. I used 6AN fuel line. Due to the carburetor D.P. 8AN supply my return line to the pressure regulator is 8AN. It takes some time but pull up the Summit Website and map out your routing and figure out what fittings you might need. I missed a couple fittings and bought some I didn't need. But then it's all part of the game.

It looks like we are only an hour and a half apart. If you would like to, maybe sometime we could meet up and you can check out my 2004 - Mk.3 with 38,000 miles. Let me know.
    That would be awesome! Let me know when you want to hook up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    I run external on my 700hp alcohol burner. If at all practical I'd go with an in tank pump. A little hassle now will make life easier long term.
    Thanks for the comments everyone. After some thought around the comments, I decided to bite the bullet and just run with an in tank. I want to avoid any loud buzzing from the pump. As has been said, will be easier and perhaps more reliable in the long run. I was also pretty impressed by the video for the Pro M Racing hangar. The agitation part is pretty cool. So I'll run with the Pro M Racing Hangar as well as the Aeromotive 340 Stealth pump. A Holley 10 micron filter and regulator will round out the group....with a return line. I'll run the compression fittings on both ends of the 3/8 Nicopp and then -6N braided lines to the tank, regulator and carb.

29. Likes Yama-Bro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please use PTFE lines for all of the flexible lines. You can get it in stainless braided from summit or other racing shops. Just make sure you get the correct fittings for the line. Rubber line braided or not is not meant for common gas station pump fuel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please use PTFE lines for all of the flexible lines. You can get it in stainless braided from summit or other racing shops. Just make sure you get the correct fittings for the line. Rubber line braided or not is not meant for common gas station pump fuel.
    Will do. Russell has some nice pre made lines that are all PTFE lined