BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insert Unigue Build Name Here

Post Thanks / Like

Insert Unigue Build Name Here

Hey Fellas, Finally did the deal and ordered the kit. Can't wait to get started and document the build in here like so many have/are/will. Love the community here of fellow car guys (and a few girls I am sure)

LOTS of great ideas I have seen when I should be running a business but seem to find myself lurking in here for awhile every day. I plan on copying a few ideas from them. As many say, I will try and give credit where I learned the tricks and ideas but also like many, I can't remember where I read half of what I read here. Don't be ashamed to give yourself a shout out if I stole and idea and didn't mention who from.

Ordered the complete kit with the following.

Powder Coated
    Coyote Drivetrain
    IRS
    Black Coated Headers
    Body Cut Outs
    Upgraded Leather Seats (to be changed with race seats later but wanted the Cobra seats so I can get my dad in and out to cruise him around)
    Coyote Power Steering
    Standard Width Lower Arms
    Regular Stock Gauges (May do something fancier so I didn't want to waste money)
    18" Replica Wheels
    Wind Wings
    Sun Visors
    Front and Rear Swaybars
    Brake Mesh Covers
    Heater Kit (Cause you know, Texans below 65 Deg need our heaters)
    Roll Bars Both Sides Black
    Assembled Louvers
    Trunk Strut
    Coyote Install Kit
    Kit complete date is estimated for 11-24

As of right now I am looking to Black Out all the chrome and paint it Metallic Ruby Red with Metallic Black Stripes. Although if you ask my wife, I told her I am mixing Bass Boat flakes in it to keep it classy. Although the Grey and Orange Wareagle Scott did is a Sexy car and I have thought about that combo as well.

Me weakness is electrical so be patient with me. Not saying I will ask stupid questions, just questions more than once.

I have a 9 year old son that is looking forward to helping me out. My wife is even excited to help build cause she loves to put Legos together and I told her it will be like a HUGE Lego set. I have always had her support in my cars and racing addictions.
    Garage is all cleaned out and ready to build.

Critigue and advice is ALWAYS welcome.
    IMG_6672.JPG
    IMG_6673.JPG
    Last edited by Texas Driver; 10-11-2018 at 09:31 PM.

2. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you building a car or performing surgery? That’s one nice garage. Can’t wait to see the build you put together.
    Welcome and keep the photos and updates coming.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and enjoy! I'll look forward to following along

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard & 10/4 On The Need For Heat Below 65 Degrees!

Also, check out this build thread from Edwardb because it will supplement the heck out of the manual while giving you great ideas and guidance.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...iversary-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    So, what part of Texas are you in? Might be a few guys around you to help out if you need it.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a dolly that I no longer need - see photo below. And a body buck.
    I am in Montgomery, TX.
    289 - fia.jpg
    Last edited by Zots; 10-12-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! There are several of us in The Woodlands area.

Rob
    God is my cobrapilot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Richmond, TX SW part of Houston.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    So, what part of Texas are you in? Might be a few guys around you to help out if you need it.
    I am in the SW part of Houston. Richmond, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zots View Post
    I have a dolly that I no longer need - see photo below. And a body buck.
    I am in Montgomery, TX.
    289 - fia.jpg
    Hey Zots, You get yours rolling already? I was reading some of your thread the other day but got interrupted and didn't get to read very far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Welcome Aboard & 10/4 On The Need For Heat Below 65 Degrees!

Also, check out this build thread from Edwardb because it will supplement the heck out of the manual while giving you great ideas and guidance.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...iversary-Build
    Thanks for the link to EdwardB thread. I have heard a lot about it but haven't made my way to his thread yet till today since you sent it to me. I have a bit of ADD when I read so I tend to hop around from one to another.
    Slidell, yup you know all about heat humidity and chills below 65.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Are you building a car or performing surgery? That’s one nice garage. Can’t wait to see the build you put together.
    Welcome and keep the photos and updates coming.
    -Steve
    HA.........Built the house 15 years ago and after building several race cars and maintaining several more in the garage tends to mess up the floors. Couple months back I decided to bring one of my trailers home and to a super spring cleaning and through out a 16 foot enclosed trailer load of stuff I thought I would need one day. I am sure I will need 1/3 of it in the near future since I threw it out after having it for 10 years. Moved what was left to the driveway to have the floors done and repainted the walls and told my wife we needed a Cobra. She wasn't buying it at first then warmed up to the idea. Did a little photo shop on my iPhone and sent her this pic. Not sure if it sealed the deal but it made her laugh and that gets me halfway to approval normally.
    Told her the garage would look much better with these in it.
    DefaultKnockOutIMG.JPGDefaultKnockOutIMG (1).JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome to the family! LOVE your garage! What kind of 4-post rack is that? Challenger short home garage unit?

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Let the fun begin!!! Congratulations and welcome to the excitement!

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. Love the garage! We are big Lego fans in our house too. Still waiting for a cool Cobra set to come out.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Frisco, TX here. What sort of power train are you thinking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Going with the Coyote motor and TKO Trans. I hope to find an aluminum third member for the IRS. I want to shave a few pounds off of an already light car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read in a couple of the build threads that FFR calls you and goes over your order once you place it online. The only call I got was when my CC was declined cause Chase thought is was a fraudulent charge. After the down payment cleared no calls were made about the order. Show of "hands" who got a call end who didn't?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to be self conscious about my thread title from now on, but congrats! Can't wait to see it!
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Driver View Post
    Show of "hands" who got a call end who didn't?
    LOL, nope no calls at all.
    Last edited by FF33rod; 10-29-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody called me....of course the then sent me the wrong seats and side pipes....of course it was right on the order sheet anyways so probably would not have made a difference. haha

Look forward to following the build.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    In Lexington Kentucky, one of the ways for kids to make money was shoveling **** out of horse barns, the depressing thing about it is the horses lived in better houses than most of us kids. Most had air-conditioning, many had indoor showers, and all were heated. At that time I had eaten in kitchens with dirt floors, slept in bedrooms heated by a coal burning stove out in the living room, and had to carry water inside the house to wash my face in the morning. That is a nice garage. I wouldn't screw it up putting nasty old car in it

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a bit off topic but here goes.
    With Christmas coming up, I feel I need to do something or buy something VERY special for my wife. I always seem to be able to surprise her but this year I am at a loss. With her being as cool as she is letting me go out of town to race when I want, go hunting with my buddies when I want and the ultimate, purchase the FFR Cobra, she deserves a hell-of-a gift. I feel as my gift last year kinda topped out my extraordinary ideas and don't want to fall short this year with the car arriving pretty close to Christmas.
    What have y'all done for your wives over the years to tell her how awesome she is in letting you live your dreams and hobbies with no guilt? Or vise versa, what have they done for you that surprised you like mad?
    Last year I was able to plan a trip to London for Spring Break to take her and my son to see her favorite band in concert. The hard part is that she is a simple down to earth girl. The biggest item on her wish list is another pair of Converse shoes, there is a Converse rainbow on the floor of our closet.

By the way, I am itching to get my kit in. Although I am in the middle of building cabinets for my office and bunk bed/desk for my 9 year old son in the garage so its a bit of a mess.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Texas,

Get Her A Dodge Challenger, Preferably In RED!

That's What Mrs. Go-Dad Got!
    Your Son Will Like It Too When She Takes Him To School!
    You two can pass it down to your baby boy in 6 or 7 years when he gets his drivers licence.

NOTE:,,, Get The Base Model V/6 (305 HP) & She'll Get 30 MPH On The Highway!
    ..............It will be quick enough to get groceries and a good car for your son when the time comes.

Well Wishes From Louisiana, New Orleans To Be Specific!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-08-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone used the stock 2015-19 Mustang Brembo brakes on the cobra? I did not do the Willwood brake upgrade on my kit. Had Willwood on a GTO I used to road race. Didn’t hate them, just wasn’t a fan of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my wife calls my toys "man diamonds" so you can guess the rest of the story!

This is a bit off topic but here goes.
    With Christmas coming up, I feel I need to do something or buy something VERY special for my wife. I always seem to be able to surprise her but this year I am at a loss. With her being as cool as she is letting me go out of town to race when I want, go hunting with my buddies when I want and the ultimate, purchase the FFR Cobra, she deserves a hell-of-a gift. I feel as my gift last year kinda topped out my extraordinary ideas and don't want to fall short this year with the car arriving pretty close to Christmas.
    What have y'all done for your wives over the years to tell her how awesome she is in letting you live your dreams and hobbies with no guilt? Or vise versa, what have they done for you that surprised you like mad?
    Last year I was able to plan a trip to London for Spring Break to take her and my son to see her favorite band in concert. The hard part is that she is a simple down to earth girl. The biggest item on her wish list is another pair of Converse shoes, there is a Converse rainbow on the floor of our closet.

By the way, I am itching to get my kit in. Although I am in the middle of building cabinets for my office and bunk bed/desk for my 9 year old son in the garage so its a bit of a mess.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    As of right now I am looking to Black Out all the chrome and paint it Metallic Ruby Red with Metallic Black Stripes.
    Just noticed this as this is the exact color combo I'm going for! Where did you get the inspiration? The Replica wheels looks great in gloss black. Just got mine back a couple of weeks ago. Good luck on your build!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    With her being as cool as she is letting me go out of town to race when I want, go hunting with my buddies when I want and the ultimate, purchase the FFR Cobra, she deserves a hell-of-a gift. I feel as my gift last year kinda topped out my extraordinary ideas and don't want to fall short this year with the car arriving pretty close to Christmas.
    Sounds like you've got a keeper!
    Get her involved with the build. Ask for input on color choices, accessories, etc. Get her out in the garage to help - there's a zillion little doo-dads that'll require some cleanup, painting, whatever, let her do them.

Probably one of the best things... Just say "Thank You" every once in awhile! When she asks "What for?", reply "Letting me have my big-boy toys without a hassle".

c100_0166b[1].jpg MrsFixit01.jpg
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Sounds like you've got a keeper!
    Get her involved with the build. Ask for input on color choices, accessories, etc. Get her out in the garage to help - there's a zillion little doo-dads that'll require some cleanup, painting, whatever, let her do them.

Probably one of the best things... Just say "Thank You" every once in awhile! When she asks "What for?", reply "Letting me have my big-boy toys without a hassle".

c100_0166b[1].jpg MrsFixit01.jpg
    That is for sure. I do that quite often. Gotta have the respect and appreciation of what ya have. She is actually pretty excited for the build, she Loves doing Lego's so we talk like it is a HUGE Lego set. Looks like yours is enjoying the build a bit as well. I need to catch up reading on your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Just noticed this as this is the exact color combo I'm going for! Where did you get the inspiration? The Replica wheels looks great in gloss black. Just got mine back a couple of weeks ago. Good luck on your build!
    Actually saw the Back Draft racing Cobra on eBay.....lol Funny how my wife and myself are not big fans of red but that color combo is just sexy. Your wheel is looking nice in that gloss black. My struggle is if I want to go with all gloss metallic black or do everything in a satin metallic black finish. I think I would also like to have the "spokes" black and the flat part of the rim aluminum to help break up the black on black of the tire. So many cool builds to follow on here, I find myself jumping from one to the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually saw the Back Draft racing Cobra on eBay.....lol Funny how my wife and myself are not big fans of red but that color combo is just sexy. Your wheel is looking nice in that gloss black. My struggle is if I want to go with all gloss metallic black or do everything in a satin metallic black finish. I think I would also like to have the "spokes" black and the flat part of the rim aluminum to help break up the black on black of the tire. So many cool builds to follow on here, I find myself jumping from one to the other.
    Same here. That Backdraft color combo is stunning. Although, if you look at the Ruby Red in the shadows, its a bit subdued and dark. Needs the light to bring it out, so I may go with something more 'red'. Thought about Satin as well, but I kept reading reviews on some of the Mustang forums that it always looked 'dirty', but that's certainly subjective. I'm going to be running the balloon lettering on the side of the tire, same as the Backdraft, so it should break up the black a bit. Either way you go, I'm sure it will look very sleek!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

33. Thanks bbursey thanked for this post
    Likes bbursey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talked to the driver right before lunch today.......Kit to arrive late morning this Friday. Can't wait to get it started and document it with my 10 year old son and wife.
    I am thinking it is time to order some brakes for the car. I thought I have seen on someones thread that the best place to order your Willwood brakes from was (insert name here) I can not find the thread I was reading. Who has everyone gone through besides FFR for their brakes? Obviously looking for a seamless install while dealing with someone that knows the MK4.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    TxDriver,

Congrats on your impending kit arrival! Take lots of pics!

FYI, I'm in League City, halfway between Houston and Galveston.

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobradavid View Post
    TxDriver,

Congrats on your impending kit arrival! Take lots of pics!

FYI, I'm in League City, halfway between Houston and Galveston.

David
    You are right down the road (in Texas standards) Good lookin car you have, should swing it by sometime and have an adult beverage while I build mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Delivery didn't go as planned or was wanting but was still a good experience. He wasn't able to make it into our neighborhood with the semi so I had to run to my office and pick up an open a trailer. He parked in a the high school parking lot a couple miles away. He didn't rush us at all and was extremely patient with having to wait since he couldn't get to our house. Wish I got his name, but looks to be the same driver many of you have as well.
    Photo Dec 28, 11 02 05 AM.jpgPhoto Dec 28, 11 03 30 AM.jpgPhoto Dec 28, 11 26 59 AM.jpgPhoto Dec 28, 12 17 47 PM.jpgPhoto Dec 28, 12 28 26 PM.jpg

We started the inventory of all the bits and pieces in the boxes. My wife loves this part. We have been marking the bags with what the contents are and putting them in numbered plastic bins. She has made a spreadsheet of all the parts and noting which bin they are in so I don't need to dig through everything every time I need a part.

Photo Dec 30, 11 03 35 AM.jpgPhoto Dec 30, 11 03 42 AM.jpg

So far one missing small aluminum panel and I am thinking a box that shows to have the gas tank and some other components. I only have the 2 side pipe boxes and another box that shows on the inventory list to have to many large parts to be able to fit a gas tank inside as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't really started wrenching yet, just removed the body and got it on jack stands on my lift. The frame rails are to narrow to fit on the lift so I put a couple 2x10's across for the jack stands. I will be adding some trim around the stands to help secure them from sliding around.

Photo Dec 28, 10 04 27 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 28, 11 16 10 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 28, 11 15 58 PM.jpg

I need to build a body buck in the next few days. I am thinking of taking the body to my office to get it out of the way until needed unless someone suggest otherwise. I can make a pallet for the body buck and put it up on a rack. I am not sure when the first test fit comes into play for the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    The body for #9365 has been hanging from the ceiling since July (2 days after delivery). I haven't needed to reference anything off of it - so I'd say you're safe to store it off-site.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

40. Likes Texas Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally hanging panels and getting the control arms ready to be installed. I marked the panels and let my wife go after them with a drill press. She was worried at first but I just told her that if it gets messed up to much, We can order a new panel. I drilled the frame ; ) Baby steps...…...
    Photo Jan 04, 9 31 20 PM.jpg
    I started by reading through the build manual as well as reading more build threads again and making notes in the build manual to remind me to do things different before I go to far. I encourage any newbie to do the same.
    Photo Dec 30, 11 07 56 PM.jpg
    Have the control arms set out and ready for completion. Need to pick up a grease gun and some other supplies/tools to complete these and get them on the car. I need to read Paul's post again about the upper ball joints. Mine started nice and easy but I haven not tried to turn them all the way down yet. I can not remember if he couldn't get them to start at all or if they wouldn't go all the way in so he opted for the Howe Racing Ball Joints.

Photo Jan 04, 10 31 21 PM.jpg

Question I have about the panels: Are the first panels visible once completed or are they always hidden? I think I want to go with the natural brushed aluminum look but do not want to waste a lot of time sanding and clear coating the panels that will never be seen. I was thinking of using the Rustoleum Pro Clear Coat paint for the panels. I have used the Pro Paint before on roll cages in race cars and other things and it has held up extremely well. Thoughts?
    As always, comment good or bad on my build to help stop me from F'ing things up.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I need to read Paul's post again about the upper ball joints. Mine started nice and easy but I haven not tried to turn them all the way down yet. I can not remember if he couldn't get them to start at all or if they wouldn't go all the way in so he opted for the Howe Racing Ball Joints.
    Wire brush the threads of the ball joints to remove the thick preservative coating and I think you'll find that they will go in easily. I just built the front suspension on a Gen3 Coupe last week and this set of joints had almost no coating on them, much less that I've seen in the past. They didn't need any real "oomph" to seat them in the arms until that last couple of degrees.

NOTE:
    Perhaps you've corrected this by now but in your photo above the ball joint plate on the upper arms is assembled incorrectly for our application; it needs to angle outward, not inward.

Question I have about the panels: Are the first panels visible once completed or are they always hidden? I think I want to go with the natural brushed aluminum look but do not want to waste a lot of time sanding and clear coating the panels that will never be seen.
    Not sure what you mean by "the first panels". The "F" panels? If so you'll see the full outside through the wheelwell (my preference is always to black this and the elephant ear splash panels out with undercoating). The engine bay side of the F will be visible...barely.

HTH,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much more to report today. Hate it when my business gets in the way of my building, but if we weren't busy I couldn't afford a Factory Five...……….
    Got the lower control arms installed and almost mounted to uppers but help up so I can get the F-Panels and a few others powdered by a friend of mine. If anyone needs powder coating done, I can pass on the contact info. He just south of Houston. Jeff, I do see what you are talking about. I did not have the ball joints in yet and the arms were laying on the table upside down. I also flipped the fittings over so the grease fittings point up.
    Photo Jan 07, 8 00 15 PM.jpg
    Was prepping the shocks although I am waiting on a lost box from FFR with a lot of my IRS components but I do have everything for the fronts. The manual states that the front shocks are shorted then the rear by 2.5" It appears that all my shocks are the same length. Or do they mean when installed and car resting and coil overs adjusted? Which that makes no sense to me but thought I would ask.

Photo Jan 07, 8 20 05 PM.jpg
    Please critique away.

EDIT: Had the ball joints in the freezer for 24 hours and wire brushed the paint off the ball joints like Jeff suggested and worked perfect. Thanks
    Last edited by Texas Driver; 01-07-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast