Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Frozen wheel spinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Frozen wheel spinner

I am looking for advice before I break out the SawsAll. I have a spinner stuck on a wheel that won’t budge. I was installing it for the first time. I removed the set screw. I spun it on to the cap to make sure it moved freely. Put cap in wheel and mounted the wheel. The spinner went almost all of the way on and would not go the last turn or two. It went easily so I’m sure it was not cross threaded. It turned easily coming off until the last couple of turns and then it froze. Won’t budge ether way now. I’ve tried heat, rubber mallet and cussing at it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I have to cut it off does FFR sell replacement center caps?
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    X2 on this
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Those things gaul easily. Use Anti Seize from now on. I'm assuming it's gauled at this point. Try to spray some lubricant up into the threads. Go easy on trying to move it. If it does move, don't force it in one direction, but move it back and forth a bit, while getting more lub into it. It should move back and forth a little more as you keep moving it. Ice on the hub part, and heat on the knock-off may (or may not) help.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Best best drill a hole in the center of the threaded part that goes through the center of the wheel then tap a thread extractor in it and hold the thread extractor with a crescent wrench and spin the spinner off. Order a new one and use aluminum antisense, no copper stuff as that will cause issues. You may also want to come up with a way to lock the center hub to the wheel. I ran a set screw through the face of the threaded part and made a slight notch in the center hole of the wheel so that the set screw works like a key way. Easy, fast, no risk of paint damage, and the center piece comes out when changing tires with out the use of any tools. In my option Factory Five should do this from the factory. Also ditch the set screws as they will only cause problems.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 10-12-2018 at 10:49 PM.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I finally got it off using the drilling a hole idea. I carefully cleaned up all of the treads with a small fine file and saved the hub and spinner. A little anti-seize and all is good now. Thanks for the help.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did it once and broke mine trying to remove. Suckers cost a lot to replace. After that episode, I purchased this tool and carry it in my trunk toolbox.

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...innertool.html

plenty of anti-seize after replacing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    I did it once and broke mine trying to remove. Suckers cost a lot to replace. After that episode, I purchased this tool and carry it in my trunk toolbox.

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...innertool.html

plenty of anti-seize after replacing.
    Interesting...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.