Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Battery Relocation with A/C

Post Thanks / Like

Battery Relocation with A/C

It's only works with a smaller, dry-cell battery that can be laid on its side. I removed the hard-line coming off of the A/C evaporator and am going straight from the dryer/accumulator to the evaporator using the flex line.

Gives a slightly higher center of gravity, but lets you route the a/c and heater lines easier and you won't hate yourself when it's time to change the battery. Plus, trying to mount the battery in the "recommended" location resulted in the possibility of rubbing against the steering linkage, which seemed like a terrible idea.

Thoughts?

IMG_20181012_220550209.jpg IMG_20181012_220541636.jpg IMG_20181012_220556434_HDR.jpg IMG_20181012_220606705.jpg
    Last edited by Perkster029; 10-12-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    Ryan
    GTM #511
    Build log: gtm.perkinsons.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the idea of relocating the battery to a more accessible location, I am moving my battery as well (probably behind the passenger seat).
    If you are set on that location, I agree that you are raising the center of gravity, which won't matter a bit if your car won't be tracked. One thing to consider is switching batteries (can you return yours?) to a Braille battery like the B3121 which weighs 21 pounds and is the same price as your 49.5 pound battery.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    I might be able to return it, but I like how much battery I have. It might not be a daily driver, but it'll be driven on the street a lot. I'll look at the one you mentioned.

I've been following your build.... you have a lot more patience (and space!) than I have, with all of that custom mod work!

What parts are you throwing away to make room behind the passenger seat?!?
    Ryan
    GTM #511

Post Thanks / Like
    I moved the cabin forward so I have a bunch of room behind the seats.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking of mounting a Braille 3121 on its side in the location stated in the manual. Likely purchasing the sheet metal mounting box they offer. If was better with my sheetmetal skills, I'd make one. Keep the weight low. I'd like to get into some serious track days, and I figure any bit helps

Have you guys seen what they get for the Micro Lite Lithium Ion options go for ?!?!?!?! HOLY SMOKES $2k for the ML30C

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkster029 View Post
    It's only works with a smaller, dry-cell battery that can be laid on its side. I removed the hard-line coming off of the A/C evaporator and am going straight from the dryer/accumulator to the evaporator using the flex line.

Gives a slightly higher center of gravity, but lets you route the a/c and heater lines easier and you won't hate yourself when it's time to change the battery. Plus, trying to mount the battery in the "recommended" location resulted in the possibility of rubbing against the steering linkage, which seemed like a terrible idea.

Thoughts?

IMG_20181012_220550209.jpg
    Hi Ryan,

A little off topic, but I noticed that in your first picture where you have the rad over flow tank placed, and wonder if it's in it's permanent position?

If it's temporary setting there, never mind, if it's in there for good, check it for clearance with the front nose if you don't mind?

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    Hi Ryan,

A little off topic, but I noticed that in your first picture where you have the rad over flow tank placed, and wonder if it's in it's permanent position?

If it's temporary setting there, never mind, if it's in there for good, check it for clearance with the front nose if you don't mind?

Ron
    Hey, thanks for checkin! But we're good, I just moved it there to give me access. I'm installing the overflow in the stock recommended location
    Ryan
    GTM #511

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I'm thinking of mounting a Braille 3121 on its side in the location stated in the manual. Likely purchasing the sheet metal mounting box they offer. If was better with my sheetmetal skills, I'd make one. Keep the weight low. I'd like to get into some serious track days, and I figure any bit helps

Have you guys seen what they get for the Micro Lite Lithium Ion options go for ?!?!?!?! HOLY SMOKES $2k for the ML30C
    Super awesome how small and light that is!! Super not awesome how pricey that is.... Maybe Tesla's gigafactory will make some batteries for us!
    Ryan
    GTM #511

Post Thanks / Like
    I also relocated my battery but it is setting upright with the coolant hard piping running into the tunnel under the battery mount. Just another idea, the battery shown is a bit larger than the AGM batter that will finally rest in the GTM so I know the AGM battery will fit. A couple of picture of that front battery area with larger radiator and 3000 cfm fans, hard piped cooling lines running under the battery mount.IMG_1907.jpgIMG_1908.JPGIMG_1909.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfr58 View Post
    I also relocated my battery but it is setting upright with the coolant hard piping running into the tunnel under the battery mount. Just another idea, the battery shown is a bit larger than the AGM batter that will finally rest in the GTM so I know the AGM battery will fit. A couple of picture of that front battery area with larger radiator and 3000 cfm fans, hard piped cooling lines running under the battery mount.IMG_1907.jpgIMG_1908.JPGIMG_1909.jpg
    Nice! Did you build little "standoffs" that the battery tray rests on?
    Ryan
    GTM #511

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfr58 View Post
    Hey jamesfr58, or anyone else that may know ,

Where did you source the orange hard coolant lines in your third photo?

Thanks,
    Sean

12. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Likes rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I built them, they are standing off the existing frame

Post Thanks / Like
    The hard piping was sourced form JEGS and painted a copper color to match my paint theme going forward. They do look kind or orange but they really are a copper color. Both the radiator end and the connections into the engine are hard piped with insulated hard pipe running through the tunnel. The picture of the tunnel show the line installed, the heater lines are hard piped and are hung in tubing clamps on the top with the heater lines under them. The AC lines are the gold insulated lines on the bottom with the electric e-brake.

IMG_1851.JPGIMG_1676.JPG

15. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Likes rolfer liked this post